Samsung Note 5 extremely laggy?

Wreckerr

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Hello,
My original Note 5 stopped charging so I had to file an insurance claim, I had the phone for over a year and it was flawless up until that point. So I get the new (refurbished) phone from Verizon and it is extremely laggy, the keyboard (SwiftKey), videos, the web, games, everything lags like nothing I have seen before, even on older phones.

So I return it. They send a new one and it has the exact same problem. I'm so confused because my original Note 5 never lagged like this, I've tried clearing the system cache, factory reset, disabling bloatware all to no avail.

Has anyone experienced this/know of a solution? Do I just keep sending these phones back until I get one that doesn't have these issues? Any input would be appreciated.

samtechtomtom

May 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi . The problem with refurbished phones is mostly reworked main boards. The note 4 and 5 are notorious with this fault . it may be a battery issue , when the battery cannot feed the main board with enough power it will lag and stutter . And eventually give up all together . But first and foremost try sw update but not over the air . You can install a completly new os from samsung smart switch using a pc or Mac.
Link here : Smart Switch | Transfer Data to Your New Galaxy Phone | Samsung UK.

Or just Google smarts switch for Windows.
This will download the latest os for you device by serial number and install to your device .
It will also back up your stuff also .
Good luck

Tomtom

Wreckerr

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
Thank you for the advice Tom, it did two OTA updates but I will try it from the PC and see if that makes any difference. If not, I guess I will have to keep returning them. Thanks again.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
An update delivered either by OTA or by desktop application is just that. What @samtechtomtom is suggesting will replace the entire system, not update some files.

Here's a YouTube video that explains how to use Smart Switch. It's not my video. This for a Galaxy S6 Edge, but the process is the same. The Smart Switch application has been updated (this video is almost two years old), so it looks a little bit different than in the video. The part that you need is almost the same. In the video, the tab you want is labelled "Software Update and Initialization". Now it's called DEVICE INITIALIZATION.

Samsung Smart Switch for PC

1. Connect your phone and hit the MORE button on the upper right corner of the Smart Switch window.
2. Click on EMERGENCY SOFTWARE RECOVERY AND INITIALIZATION.
3. Click on DEVICE INITIALIZATION.
4. Click OK and follow the prompts.

The software will grab the latest OS for your phone, put the phone into the correct maintenance mode, and install the OS with the latest update. This should leave your phone as though you took it from the box with Nougat preinstalled. Yes, you'll lose everything, so back up your photos, music, docs etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech