1. jmj227's Avatar
    Though Nougat brought some great new features (looking at you GIF creator) my experience has been pretty bad. I'm frustrated by how many applications added additional steps to do simple task like compose text messages. It seems like its brought more complication.

    But the big issue I'm struggling with is freezing up once or twice a day and I can't nail down what app is causing the problem. It seems random but my N5 will just become unresponsive and I'm forced to do a manual reboot (hold power and volume down). I didn't even know how to do that before Nougat but I was forced to google it.

    Anyone else experiencing this? I did do a full reset after updating to Nougat. I think I'm left holding out for an update to fix this or may have to try another reset. 90% of the time my N5 works great. It's the other 10% that has been a huge frustration.
    06-02-2017 03:29 PM
  2. pduffer's Avatar
    Wonder if the problem could be related to an app? Maybe try another factory reset.
    06-02-2017 09:24 PM
  3. Kendahl Titcomb's Avatar
    Honestly Verizon has lots of bloatware in their update. I would disable as many apps that you don't use or need. Than power the phone down. than go to the bootloader menu...Power Button/Home button/volume-up...scroll down to the cache partition and press the power button. This will clear your cache..do this 3 times and than restart the phone. If you still continue to have these issues it could need a full hard reset...it sucks but would fix most issues
    06-04-2017 09:26 PM
  4. jmj227's Avatar
    Honestly Verizon has lots of bloatware in their update. I would disable as many apps that you don't use or need. Than power the phone down. than go to the bootloader menu...Power Button/Home button/volume-up...scroll down to the cache partition and press the power button. This will clear your cache..do this 3 times and than restart the phone. If you still continue to have these issues it could need a full hard reset...it sucks but would fix most issues
    I have disabled all apps I don't use and did clear the cache, but not 3 times. I'm thinking I may have to do the full reset.
    06-07-2017 09:22 AM
  5. jmj227's Avatar
    I did the full reset and did not use smart switch and instead installed a limited number of apps. N5 was working well for about a week, then the lag and freezing started again. I can't imagine it's a hardware problem because it works well 90% of the time. Something seems to trigger major lag and unresponsiveness. Unfortunately, this will be my first and last Samsung phone. I've had way too many issues on this device.
    07-09-2017 10:20 AM
  6. underway99's Avatar
    A factory data reset (FDR) slicks the device and makes it like you just removed it from the box with just the original (or most recently flashed) firmware. It doesn't always fix every firmware issue. The fix for that is to reload the firmware.

    The two easiest ways to do it are to use Samsung's Smart Switch or (if you are a Verizon customer) Verizon's Software Repair Assistant. Smart Switch is Samsung's consumer-level maintenance utility, and the Verizon software is part of Verizon's Software Upgrade Assistant (Verizon's version of Smart Switch) that loads on your PC when you connect your Note 5 to your PC. Both PC applications will identify the right firmware for your device, download it, and then flash it onto your device. The Verizon software will backup your documents, photos, and such, then grab and flash the latest firmware. Finally, it will reload your data. It doesn't do apps or settings though. Use Smart Switch to do the same thing if you can't use Verizon's application.
    07-11-2017 10:08 PM

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 06-17-2017, 04:38 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2017, 07:41 PM
  3. after downloading updates not installing it says error
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2017, 04:46 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2017, 03:39 PM
  5. Why does my tablet go into download of html viewer
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2017, 01:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD