https://www.sammobile.com/samsung-ga...oid-8-o-update

Galaxy Note 5 - received two major Android upgrades before
    06-27-2017 05:07 PM
    Fine with me. I'm just using my lovely note 5 til note 8 comes out.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    06-27-2017 05:41 PM
    No surprise, it's nearly a 2 year old phone, and the nougat software on it now is great. At least the last software update didn't break it like Lollipop did to the Note 3.
    Jewels81 likes this.
    06-27-2017 06:00 PM
    I'm curious, the note has some decent specs even for today. Are they cutting the 5 off because the hardware just can't handle O or because they want to give people an incentive to get a new phone? I call shenanigans.
    kct1975 likes this.
    06-28-2017 01:30 PM
    While I've been on Android since the beginning and have seen the OS really become much smoother to use, if my Note 5 is running about as well as possible, why not another update? I think they want us to buy a new THOUSAND DOLLAR PHONE! If there is anything that would cause me to consider moving to iOS, it would be this and sealed batteries that degrade quickly with very heavy use. I could go to the nearby Apple store and get a fresh one installed in one hour for sixty five bucks.
    06-28-2017 03:40 PM
    I'm curious, the note has some decent specs even for today. Are they cutting the 5 off because the hardware just can't handle O or because they want to give people an incentive to get a new phone? I call shenanigans.
    It's because they want you to buy a new phone.
    kct1975 likes this.
    07-01-2017 08:57 AM
    I'm fine with 7 on my N5 and BB KEYone. Runs like a champ on the N5 and looks great as well.
    07-02-2017 08:44 AM
    Who needs 8 ..
    I'm happy with 7 on my N5 right now ..
    dllrogers55 and kct1975 like this.
    07-02-2017 10:00 AM
    There's a couple factors.

Despite actual hardware capabilities, updates stop because of course, they get their income from new phones and making an update costs money! (This is why you can find a Galaxy S II running Nougat technically)

Samsung high-end devices get two major OS updates so this is in-line with their other devices.

Although sometimes, even with a willing manufacturer, Qualcomm (or competitor) can stop supporting newer OS versions on older chipsets which is why Snapdragon 800 devices can't get Nougat officially IIRC. (despite unofficial ROMs)

Also see the snafu around the Galaxy Nexus's updates when TI shuttered the OMAP chip business.
    07-02-2017 11:15 AM
    Perhaps, but my guess is that the Galaxy Note 5 (and all of that chip generation), which i have and love, wouldn't have the giddy up for some of the newest os features that Samsung offers or plans to offer.
    07-02-2017 02:04 PM
    Well for any phone they tune for performance and I can understand not wanting to spend the effort tuning so many past phones.

Also what is the benefit for them? I mean you already bought it. they have sold most of their stock and the rest are mostly repair stock.

have you ever made a decision on buying a phone based on whether the manufacturer has a track record of updating it 3 years out?

right now doing so would be an expense with almost no return and in some cases may hurt sales of their new phones.

I imagine if you want to there will be ways you can get 8.0 on it
    07-05-2017 04:30 PM
    Well for any phone they tune for performance and I can understand not wanting to spend the effort tuning so many past phones.

Also what is the benefit for them? I mean you already bought it. they have sold most of their stock and the rest are mostly repair stock.

have you ever made a decision on buying a phone based on whether the manufacturer has a track record of updating it 3 years out?

right now doing so would be an expense with almost no return and in some cases may hurt sales of their new phones.

I imagine if you want to there will be ways you can get 8.0 on it
    Many vehicles, cars, trucks, farm implements, fire trucks and apparatus get updates, flashes and fixes to their ECU's a number of years after purchase. This is part of the sales price and customer service and equipment support. To say that Samsung could not accommodate a buyer more than two updates after the sale has been made goes against good business practice. As someone who has had the same cell number for 24 years, I've watched the cell industry basically from the infancy and to shell out a thousand plus bucks and only receive two updates, especially on flagship models, I call this skinflint cheapskate b.s. You can call it what you like. 😏
    07-06-2017 11:45 PM
    There's a huge difference between a few high dollar vehicles that require a ROM flash and millions of phones that have to have an entire OS reworked
    07-26-2017 05:05 PM
    I worked for Verizon from 2012 to 2016, it's normal for Android devices to only get software updates for 2 years, only one or 2 major updates during it's lifetime. In some instances Qualcomm won't even make drivers for older chipsets either which prevents people from building custom ROMs to install on a rooted device.

These devices usually get security updates for another year, and Google play service updates as well. They just don't get the latest version of the OS because the OEM needs to create and test it, than carriers need to test and approve for their networks while adding their bloat. They don't seem to think it's worth the cost when most people upgrade at the 2 year mark.
    debdroid1a likes this.
    07-26-2017 08:40 PM
    Gotta remember too, outside of Apple and Samsung, everyone who makes cell phones struggle to turn a profit. Samsung could afford to update longer, but why invest in that when your competitors don't and you are already the number one selling brand.
    07-26-2017 08:43 PM
    I really think Samsung provided allot of what they did because so many people reverted to the N5 from the N7 recall. Seems like there was a flurry of minor things brought from the N7 to the N5 just after resurgence of the N5. This was fantastic for all the N5 users (I initially bypassed the N5 and kept my Note Edge because of no removable storage)

Cheers,
    BR
    07-28-2017 10:31 AM