A few days ago I was talking on my note 5 and after I hung up I went to clear all the recently viewed apps. When I clicked the close all apps button the note 5 froze and stayed froze for a couple minutes and then rebooted. While booting up it got to the samsung splash screen and there was a loud static / squelch noise and the samsung splash logo prove and kind of went pixilated. After that the phone screen went black and a solid blue light was on at the top of the phone but it never did recover. Tried all the restart tutorials online to get it to restart and boot. I couldn't take the battery out (easily) so I just let the phone go dead. I let the phone charge over night (no led's were present during charging) and now I'm trying to turn the device back on and it won't do anything.

At first it seemed to me that it was a firmware error but I could never get it to forcibly reboot so now I'm thinking a hardware component has went bad. I would like to pull the data from the phone, and I'm not afraid of tearing it apart and getting my hands dirty, I'm just curious if there's any method that I'm not thinking of to make this easier. I'm fairly good with working on electronics at component level but a phone takes it to another level. Is there any way for me to pull any hardware components out of the phone to pull the data off.
    07-22-2017 09:13 AM
    A few days ago I was talking on my note 5 and after I hung up I went to clear all the recently viewed apps. When I clicked the close all apps button the note 5 froze and stayed froze for a couple minutes and then rebooted. While booting up it got to the samsung splash screen and there was a loud static / squelch noise and the samsung splash logo prove and kind of went pixilated. After that the phone screen went black and a solid blue light was on at the top of the phone but it never did recover. Tried all the restart tutorials online to get it to restart and boot. I couldn't take the battery out (easily) so I just let the phone go dead. I let the phone charge over night (no led's were present during charging) and now I'm trying to turn the device back on and it won't do anything.

At first it seemed to me that it was a firmware error but I could never get it to forcibly reboot so now I'm thinking a hardware component has went bad. I would like to pull the data from the phone, and I'm not afraid of tearing it apart and getting my hands dirty, I'm just curious if there's any method that I'm not thinking of to make this easier. I'm fairly good with working on electronics at component level but a phone takes it to another level. Is there any way for me to pull any hardware components out of the phone to pull the data off.
    Welcome to the forums. Depending on what failed, you may not be able to pull your data. Say if the storage chip failed, (one possible reason why the phone won't reboot) the data won't be able to be pulled anyway.

I'm not sure if tearing apart the components will allow you to get to your data on the chip. The chip is soldered to the board, with the only interface being the USB port.
    07-22-2017 10:19 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Depending on what failed, you may not be able to pull your data. Say if the storage chip failed, (one possible reason why the phone won't reboot) the data won't be able to be pulled anyway.

I'm not sure if tearing apart the components will allow you to get to your data on the chip. The chip is soldered to the board, with the only interface being the USB port.
    That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping it may have been like a tablet with a small removable chip that data is stored on. I do believe it is the chip or possible something on the main motherboard if the device causing the problem. Well I may have to just be happy with my most recent backup of data.

Well I appreciate it, and if anyone else can think of something that I'm not thinking of, please let me know.
    07-22-2017 10:50 AM
    That's what I was afraid of. I was hoping it may have been like a tablet with a small removable chip that data is stored on. I do believe it is the chip or possible something on the main motherboard if the device causing the problem. Well I may have to just be happy with my most recent backup of data.

Well I appreciate it, and if anyone else can think of something that I'm not thinking of, please let me know.
    Perhaps a local repair shop might be able to do something? It's worth a shot. They worst they can say is no.
    07-22-2017 05:09 PM