Im thinking of getting a note 5. Currently on a G6. I use a lot of storage. I have a 128gb SD in my G6 for a total of 160gb including the onboard storage. My on board storage is filled up and I've used roughly 50gb of my SD card. That already exceeds the maximum capacity of a 64gb Note 5. So my question is, the cloud, is it a viable And realistic solution to these problems?

I love my G6 but I miss the Note line. The Note 4 was the best device I've ever owned but I'm sure by this time it's aged and decrepit no matter how many times you factory reset it. Note 5 is my only solution given I don't believe the Note 8 is anywhere near worth it's price tag.
    09-27-2017 07:11 AM
    I think you'll be happy with the Note 5. I have one, I have the Note 8 and I am thinking of returning it. I love it but I don't think it is worth the price either.
    09-27-2017 08:20 AM
    But what about the storage? Is the cloud a viable and realistic alternative?
    09-27-2017 10:51 AM
    Personally I only use the cloud mainly as a backup, but yes I think it's viable. A of my notes and documents are in the cloud, and I just save offline syncing copies.
    09-27-2017 10:53 AM
    I use Google Drive for all of my important data, and automatically back up my photos to Google Photos. Don't rely on your phone's Internal Storage or an SD card as the sole storage for important data. SD cards corrupt relatively easily, and phones can fail, get damaged, or get lost.
    09-27-2017 11:04 AM
    I use Google Drive for all of my important data, and automatically back up my photos to Google Photos. Don't rely on your phone's Internal Storage or an SD card as the sole storage for important data. SD cards corrupt relatively easily, and phones can fail, get damaged, or get lost.
    My phone is like a safe deposit box. I know where it is at all times and I won't ever lose it. It has too much information on it. However, you're right. SD cards corrupt TOO easily. Happens to me 3 or 4 times a year where I have to grab and SD card adapter and move the data to my computer and format the card.

I take a lot of pictures and store a lot of stuff on my phone. Many many gigs of data. Does it make sense for me to rely on the cloud? This is the only way I'll grab a note 5.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    09-27-2017 01:15 PM
    Your may not ever lose your phone, but you can't be sure the phone will never fail at some point. So even if you're saving your most important data to Internal Storage (instead of the SD), it's still at risk for loss if you don't back it up or sync it regularly.

It sounds like it does make sense for you to take advantage of the cloud, at least for all of your photos. Your other option besides the cloud would be to make regular backups on your computer hard drive.
    09-27-2017 01:19 PM
    My phone is like a safe deposit box. I know where it is at all times and I won't ever lose it. It has too much information on it. However, you're right. SD cards corrupt TOO easily. Happens to me 3 or 4 times a year where I have to grab and SD card adapter and move the data to my computer and format the card.

I take a lot of pictures and store a lot of stuff on my phone. Many many gigs of data. Does it make sense for me to rely on the cloud? This is the only way I'll grab a note 5.
    I use OneDrive to automatically backup my photos and videos, which ultimately saves a copy on my computer. Works great for me.
    09-27-2017 02:28 PM
    Thanks for the input everyone. Is there anything I should look out for other than what I've asked? With my G6, my only gripe is that it doesn't have a stylus with similar s-pen functionality (not that it was going to come with one). I want my next device to be one I hold onto for the next couple of years. I'm tired of hopping from device to device. Although I love having something new all the time, with that comes anxiety. I'm also tired of having a phone payment. Again thank you and if there's anything crucial about storage you have opinions or suggestions about, please let me know. Thanks!!!
    09-27-2017 04:15 PM