Before you buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 8

jeremyzl

Oct 17, 2017
Visit site
Before you buy a Note 8 or other Samsung cell phones, please see my experience with Samsung.

Recently, my Samsung Note 5 got the "micro-usb charging failure problem" (cannot charge and transfer data). It's only 1.5 years from the date of purchase. The problem is pretty common if you google it. Youtube shows people how to replace the micro-usb chip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2mpAOmcJ18). The work is very tough so I chose to get a quality repair service from Samsung. With the Samsung-provided shipping label, I sent my cell phone to their repair center at Mcallen, Texas. Several days later, my Note5 was sent back, and is completely not usable. The cell phone keeps on making a very sharp high-frequency wheeze when I power it on. The device sound system is also completely ruined. I cannot make and receive calls. Samsung never told me that they damaged my cell phone during the repair service. I tried to contact Samsung. They said the micro-usb port problem is unrepairable, and gave me no reason why they damaged my cell phone. They wash their hands of my case.

My last cell phone was a Samsung Galaxy S4. It had the problem of "Both caller and receiver cannot hear each other", also at 1.5 years from the date of purchase. Again, the problem is very common if you google it, and "unrepairable".

I've decided to walk away from this irresponsible brand. Here is my conclusion: although I had been very satisfied with Samsung cell phones when they were new, the devices are very likely to have "unrepairable" problems. A $700 device can only last for 1.5-2 years with no resale value. From Galaxy S4 to the flagship Note 5 and to the explosive Note 7, how can you trust Samsung product quality? By purchasing a Samsung cell phone, you take your own risks.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Bad luck, personally every Samsung device I've bought since 2012 still works excluding a water damaged Note 2.

S3 is still kicking it 5 years after purchase original battery, a friend has it.

Note 3 is 4 years old, original battery, I use it as a house phone.

Note 4 and Note 5 sitting in a drawer right now.

S7 has been my main device since launch, no problems, occasionally swap the SIM into my Note 5.

Tab S2 bought at launch still working great.

Original Note 10 from 2012, although slow for most tasks, can still stream video flawless, has great sound, and does so for over 5 hours on battery.

So I would fully endorse the brand and recommend it to my friends/family.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Every Note that I have ever owned still works. My note Edge, Note 4, Note 5, all work. I bought a Note 8 without hesitation on launch day. It is seriously the best phone I have ever owned.

Next year, I will buy the S9+ and Note 9.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Before you buy a Note 8 or other Samsung cell phones, please see my experience with Samsung.

Recently, my Samsung Note 5 got the "micro-usb charging failure problem" (cannot charge and transfer data). It's only 1.5 years from the date of purchase. The problem is pretty common if you google it. Youtube shows people how to replace the micro-usb chip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2mpAOmcJ18). The work is very tough so I chose to get a quality repair service from Samsung. With the Samsung-provided shipping label, I sent my cell phone to their repair center at Mcallen, Texas. Several days later, my Note5 was sent back, and is completely not usable. The cell phone keeps on making a very sharp high-frequency wheeze when I power it on. The device sound system is also completely ruined. I cannot make and receive calls. Samsung never told me that they damaged my cell phone during the repair service. I tried to contact Samsung. They said the micro-usb port problem is unrepairable, and gave me no reason why they damaged my cell phone. They wash their hands of my case.

My last cell phone was a Samsung Galaxy S4. It had the problem of "Both caller and receiver cannot hear each other", also at 1.5 years from the date of purchase. Again, the problem is very common if you google it, and "unrepairable".

I've decided to walk away from this irresponsible brand. Here is my conclusion: although I had been very satisfied with Samsung cell phones when they were new, the devices are very likely to have "unrepairable" problems. A $700 device can only last for 1.5-2 years with no resale value. From Galaxy S4 to the flagship Note 5 and to the explosive Note 7, how can you trust Samsung product quality? By purchasing a Samsung cell phone, you take your own risks.
Sorry you've had some bad luck and issues with customer service. Hopefully you will find a brand that you feel more comfortable with. I've had the galaxy nexus, note 2, mega 6.3, s3, s5, S6 edge, note 5, s7 edge, note 7, note 8, tab 3 and note 12.1 2012 model tablet. The only one that stopped working is the note 12.1 tablet and its because the battery is no good after 6 yrs. If I replaced the battery it would be fine once again.

I've enjoyed my Samsung products and can't really complain about the quality. As with all electronics every now and then you do get a bad device. In your case Samsung didn't do their part in fixing it for you properly. Which I agree is poor customer service. Good luck with your future purchases.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1