I want a Sirocco, but probably 6 months after prices settle.

So I need a phone for 8 months.

Ive always wanted a Galaxy Note but they are priced out of my game.

But I noticed I can get one for not much more than a Moto G5s Plus.

Its 2.5 years old, but it still pulls better than midrange CPU and GPU stats and its a NOTE !!!!

And its getting OREO?

Am I mad to buy one now?
    03-07-2018 09:05 PM
    The only things I didn't like about the Note 5 were no SD card and a non-removable battery, otherwise it would have been a step up from my Note 3 (which lasted me for 4 years). So now I switched to a Pixel 2, no SD card and no removable battery. Go figure.

But no, there's nothing wrong with a Note 5 if the price is right, and it's the right variant for the carrier you want.
    03-07-2018 11:33 PM
    I basically use my phone for watching netflix, ive never had an oled screen. I also dont like 18:9 for this reason. I like that the note 5 is 5.7" of usable viewing. A new note 8 is $1200, a used note 5 in near new but used condition is $350-400 here. An LG v20 is $500 new which is also an awesome phone and does have changeable batteries, quad dac, epic sound recording, great cameras including the wide, a nice 1440p LCD.

Perhaps Im thinking the note does more than it does via the pen. I also HATE the Galaxy rounded edges, have ever since the first one, talk about bad UX design sold as a selling point, reminds me of apple, hey look at this mistake look at how great it is lol. I get people think it looks different and snazy, well other people do, but the UX for a phone is not aesthetics over practicality.
    03-07-2018 11:42 PM
    WOW, no the note 5 is awesome. If there was a non 18:9 round edged Note 8 id definitely be looking at that over the Sirocco long term. What a shame. But for the here and next 9 months these features look very practical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYRIX9YP3Lk
    03-07-2018 11:48 PM
    It is reportedly getting Oreo, but that depends on your carrier.
    03-07-2018 11:49 PM
    How come the carrier matters? In my country phones are unlocked so they run on whatever carrier you choose. i hope it can get oreo.
    03-08-2018 02:07 AM
    I read non locked phones, ie non carrier phones will be able to download the update straight from Samsung, if so thats good news.
    03-08-2018 02:15 AM
    How come the carrier matters? In my country phones are unlocked so they run on whatever carrier you choose. i hope it can get oreo.
    It’s a matter of if or when carriers will Oreo.
    03-08-2018 05:50 AM
    Yep. But Samsung will have it and I wont be buying a carrier version so I should be ok.

Can you guys help me with a list of things I should ask sellers of a used Note 5, ie common problems?

Clearly battery might be used, but Ive already found 3rd party battery thats ultra cheap and has had 1000s of positive reviews and none explode etc lol. So I may just replace it anyway.

Is there anything else that could happen to a non carrier unlocked Note 5?

I looked at the the Note 8 again and I dont see what Im really missing, I have a camera I use for photography so any photos on a phone to me are just for social media etc. Its basemark x is 28000 vs 38000 on the note 8, i dont feel that warrants $800 more (in my country), 4GB Ram is still plenty.

What is there not to like about the Note 5? I looked at a video that showed 100 things to like and I was amazed how much productivity the note has versus a normal finger based cell phone, its actually REALLY good for productivity and executives. I work in IT and simple things like being able to write a reminder so easily is joy. Yes you can set alarms in other phones etc, but I feel the Note takes productivity to the core of its UX design.

Ok so I could spend $400 and the phone breaks, but that could happen with any used phone. Im only looking at ones that have been in cases and have screen protectors.

Who knows I may end up liking it so much I skip the sirocco hehe.
    03-08-2018 02:08 PM
    My Note 5 was great. I keep it as a backup now for the used Pixel XL I bought recently.
    Not sure where you're located but I'd be interested in selling it...Verizon 64gb.
    03-09-2018 04:51 PM
    It is reportedly getting Oreo, but that depends on your carrier.
    Source Link?
    03-13-2018 12:10 PM
    03-13-2018 04:23 PM
    This does nothing for me lol. I am on AT&T haha
    03-16-2018 12:21 PM
    i wanted to get the note 8 but its still way to expensive for a phone. the note 5 is still relevant in 2018. can still play nba 2k18 mobile pretty smoothly. mainly i got it for the pen to sign stuff quickly, super useful
    03-30-2018 09:10 PM
    I am still using my note 5. The only problem I am having is storage and the battery. I can't do anything about the storage but if I don't get a new phone I need to replace the battery soon. The camera is great, outdoor shots are brilliant, people always comment on my pictures but low light shots are terrible. It is still plenty powerful. If I was you the essential phone or a moto g 6 plus might be a good option too.
    04-22-2018 10:38 PM