Google Pay as Administrator?

JannyMaha

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I recently noticed that, in my phone settings under Security -> Device Administrators, Google Pay is on the list as well. It says, "Google Pay. As a device administrator, Google Pay can help make your phone more secure." And there's a radial button for me to select —but I have not. Is this new? I can't seem to find anything about it on the internet. Why would I need this? I already have Find My Device -and- Lookout as Device Administrators at the same time because I'm afraid I'll screw something up if I de-select one. I wonder if that's too much to have already. Do I need another device administrator? Anybody?

MomOf4crazies

Sep 22, 2018
Visit site
Hello, I recently noticed that, in my phone settings under Security -> Device Administrators, Google Pay is on the list as well. It says, "Google Pay. As a device administrator, Google Pay can help make your phone more secure." And there's a radial button for me to select —but I have not. Is this new? I can't seem to find anything about it on the internet. Why would I need this? I already have Find My Device -and- Lookout as Device Administrators at the same time because I'm afraid I'll screw something up if I de-select one. I wonder if that's too much to have already. Do I need another device administrator? Anybody?

I'm on my son's galaxy J7 right now trying to find out why ads are looking up non-stop on his phone. Over too of whatever else I'd up even calls!!!! I downloaded Malwarebytes and have pop up ads disabled along with 5 ad blockers as well. They still keep coming. The only thing I noticed different us that Google pay us now a device adminstator. ALSO when I click the bar to dent access it closes down!!!! I cannot get rid of it or dent access as a device admin. Afraid his phone us completely hacked or something. My 6 and 4 year olds have been playing on his phone this week and downloaded about 60 new apps...maybe more so I'm sure it's because of that. I have since deleted every single all but it's still happening. I don't think the logo that shows us Google Pays actual logo either.

I'm attaching a screenshot where you see it as an admin and then right after I hit to dent access I get app has stopped. Can anyone help me with this?!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180922-061333.jpg
    Screenshot_20180922-061333.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20180922-061403.jpg
    Screenshot_20180922-061403.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 6

mellandroid

Banned
Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I do not have any apps being installed but on my A50 I noticed that Google pay has installed in the device admin app even though I do not have google pay installed. I have tried installing and removing google pay but it still remains in device admin app.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I do not have any apps being installed but on my A50 I noticed that Google pay has installed in the device admin app even though I do not have google pay installed. I have tried installing and removing google pay but it still remains in device admin app.
That's strange , every Samsung device I own it comes preinstall and can be uninstalled .
Let me ask @Mooncatt if he can check his out.

Also I really don't recommend giving any the other apps besides find my phone administrator privilege as it will cause some issues like control lock screen and other things that your not aware of.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I just checked on my Verizon version. Google Pay was pre-installed and there was a selection in the device administrator setting. I uninstalled the app but it remained active as a device administrator, so I just deactivated it there. It's not my daily driver, just on an emergency line, so I'm not well versed in it. I also don't use Google Pay, so no idea what's going on.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm sure you checked, but was the app truly uninstalled, or did it just uninstall all updates and revert to the factory version?

Kim Mestas Bello

Feb 5, 2022
Visit site
I have the same happen to me. I can not remove app didn't install it and do not want it as admin or collecting payment info. I am really nervous now.

I have the same issue. Can not understand how Google Pay became device admin. Never installed or used. Question: Can it gather payment information on my device? Credit card numbers and banking info? How about passwords if it is device admin?

Last edited by a moderator:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue. Can not understand how Google Pay became device admin. Never installed or used. Question: Can it gather payment information on my device? Credit card numbers and banking info? How about passwords if it is device admin?
Welcome to AC!
Can you deactivate it in device administrator? If so do that then uninstall the app

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the same happen to me. I can not remove app didn't install it and do not want it as admin or collecting payment info. I am really nervous now.

Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? This thread is in the Galaxy Note 5 forum -- is that what you have?

Google Pay is a trustworthy app, so I wouldn't be worried about it.