Note 7 Accessories

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I said that wouldn't happen. IF it somehow did you could return it but so far every case for every phone I have bought works. You know Spigen does sell on Amazon right? So if it is $15 on Amazon and $40 in Verizons store it is the same case right? Example below.

Verizon doesn't sell spigen.

The problem with amazon is if you buy from a third party other than from the manufacturer. Then there's a chance of fake for accessories.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Never happen to me! Spigen works with Amazon. If you get something that is not original Amazon will give you your money back.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Pretty sure if I buy a Spigen case on Amazon fro the Note 7 it will fit just like a Note 7 case in store will lol. Sorry we can just agree to disagree since this is getting ridiculous at this point. I don't get how a case sold BY the maker on Amazon isn't quality like a carrier store. That makes zero sense.

There are certainly different levels of quality. My personal experience with spigen, ringke, Caseology, and vrs is that they are good cases but that they aren't on the same level as otterbox and tech21(either in quality or in quality control nor in price). These cases are set well below what Verizon sells cases at, at a slight reduction in quality. Of course Verizon doesn't sell spigen, ringke, Caseology or vrs either.

Personally, I bought the Spigen case for my note 4 and while it did fit, the mic hole at the bottom was completely blocked. Went out and bought a case from my Verizon store and it had the mic hole properly opened.

I also had a spigen case on my note 3 I believe that cracked when removing the case. They did send me a replacement case, also cracked in the exact same spot. Others on here and amazon also experienced the same problem.

Also I had a spigen nexus 6 case, it had multiple marks on the case, clearly not new despite being sold as such.

I bought a Caseology case can't remember which phone... It didn't fit well at all.

Probably other issues that I can't remember now. But then compared to cases that I bought at Verizon, my Verizon cases seemed to work better and of better quality.

However back to the topic at hand, for the identical case on both sites, I would have no problems buying from whoever was cheaper. But personally...if I wanted a guaranteed fitment and quality, I would go with Verizon. I realize going with spigen cases not sold by carriers, that there is a risk.

Now when talking about $15-20 vs $35-45 for carrier stuff (less my 25% discount then I prefer to go carrier. Now if you are talking about sale prices in the $1-3 price range then I have no problems going with spigen /vrs /ringke, etc.

Last edited:

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
aren't on the same level as otterbox and tech21(either in quality or in quality control nor in price).
This is a matter of Opinion. I disagree. I had an OtterBox Defender Case. The belt clip always broke and the rubber stretched. Made the Phone Bulky. Will never go back to OtterBox! Tech21 got it did not like it returned it. Love Spigen, Verus, and Caseology Cases!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Never happen to me! Spigen works with Amazon. If you get something that is not original Amazon will give you your money back.
Anything sold by Amazon or FBA, I have no worries about. Amazon will take care of you. Shipped by third party you have to go through Amazon a to z guarantee which is a little more of a hassle. Spigen took like a week to respond to my complaint and based on other people's feedback, it was similar for them. Personally I think a week to respond to customer emails is absurd.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3270887

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Personally, I bought the Spigen case for my note 4 and while it did fit, the mic hole at the bottom was completely blocked. Went out and bought a case from my Verizon store and it had the mic hole properly opened.

This was a Spigen flaw though IIRC? No a "Amazon sent me the wrong / crappier less quality case", right?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is a matter of Opinion. I disagree. I had an OtterBox Defender Case. The belt clip always broke and the rubber stretched. Made the Phone Bulky. Will never go back to OtterBox! Tech21 got it did not like it returned it. Love Spigen, Verus, and Caseology Cases!

Of course, many people are happy with spigen, verus, and Caseology....but if I have multiple bad experiences then I tend to avoid that company, just like how you avoid otterbox.

To be honest otterbox wasn't my favorite either and I haven't bought anything from them recently. As of late I have been liking tech21 and speck. Cases are very personal things... Get what you like, no one case manufacturer works for everyone

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This was a Spigen flaw though IIRC? No a "Amazon sent me the wrong / crappier less quality case", right?

Correct, no problems with inferior merchandise assuming exact same item shipped and sold by Amazon for spigen or anything else.

Sold by third party other than from manufacturer is a different story.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Anything sold by Amazon or FBA, I have no worries about. Amazon will take care of you. Shipped by third party you have to go through Amazon a to z guarantee which is a little more of a hassle. Spigen took like a week to respond to my complaint and based on other people's feedback, it was similar for them. Personally I think a week to respond to customer emails is absurd.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=3270887
With Note 4 when I ordered the Neo Hybrid the TPU mic holes did not line up. I Called Spigen and they said that they were aware of the problem. They sent me a new TPU the next week with an apology letter. I had no issues or complaints with their customer service. Now with Otter Box had to take pictures every time to get an new belt clip and I had to show them how the rubber on the phone is stretched. Horrible customer service was the end of my Otter case days.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
With Note 4 when I ordered the Neo Hybrid the TPU mic holes did not line up. I Called Spigen and they said that they were aware of the problem. They sent me a new TPU the next week with an apology letter. I had no issues or complaints with their customer service. Now with Otter Box had to take pictures every time to get an new belt clip and I had to show them how the rubber on the phone is stretched. Horrible customer service was the end of my Otter case days.

Can't speak of otterbox customer service as I never dealt with them... But spigen response time was about a week. And while they didn't ask for a lot of pictures or anything , they sent me a replacement with a crack in the exact same place as the original right out of the bag.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to explain the Caseology issue... The case was really poorly fitting. Caseology sent a replacement which had the same poor fitment. They then said that they have a problem and had no eta on a fix and sent me a refund. Which is fine except that I have a phone and a very poorly fitting case so I had to go buy something else.

I think that the bottom line is this... Buying at your carrier is a guaranteed fit. Buying from spigen or similar... You might have issues and while they will respond (which may take a week or more, not including the time for shipping, if a replacement is needed ) and they will either send you a replacement or a refund... But personally, if I just got a new phone... I just want something that just fits. I won't want to have a new phone and a poorly fitting case and deal with the hassle,especially when dealing with $700+ phones...

Just speaking for myself, nowadays I always buy a case from the carrier when I buy an expensive phone. I will also try out other cases but I want to make sure that my $700 phone is properly protected.

Obviously everyone is different, just my opinion. Some are willing to take the relatively small risk of problems with spigen et all

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Wow... um, no. They get a deal, and they sell the items. Usually with a huge mark up. I would not infer quality with being sold at a carrier store. Returns might be a bit easier at the carrier store, but I have never had any issues with amazon returns.

Amazon has always had an easy return process. If it's defective or problematic they provide a return label at their cost. I almost never buy in store anymore.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I forgot to explain the Caseology issue... The case was really poorly fitting. Caseology sent a replacement which had the same poor fitment. They then said that they have a problem and had no eta on a fix and sent me a refund. Which is fine except that I have a phone and a very poorly fitting case so I had to go buy something else.

I think that the bottom line is this... Buying at your carrier is a guaranteed fit. Buying from spigen or similar... You might have issues and while they will respond (which may take a week or more, not including the time for shipping, if a replacement is needed ) and they will either send you a replacement or a refund... But personally, if I just got a new phone... I just want something that just fits. I won't want to have a new phone and a poorly fitting case and deal with the hassle,especially when dealing with $700+ phones...

Just speaking for myself, nowadays I always buy a case from the carrier when I buy an expensive phone. I will also try out other cases but I want to make sure that my $700 phone is properly protected.

Obviously everyone is different, just my opinion. Some are willing to take the relatively small risk of problems with spigen et all

Got a bad caseology case for my G5. Immediately returned to amazon. This is why it is not only a guarantee with amazon but with good and fast customer service, then most things should be fine.

Spigen case fit perfectly but Caseology seems iffy.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
There is no filter of quality on amazon as they don't test the product themselves. With Verizon they probably will be testing making the products work as advertised, wouldn't want to sell junk cords as a carrier.. Have seen a couple of reviews on amazon showing that certain cords and chargers to not meet up to certain standards for charging.

I'm not saying Verizon holds top quality, but you are probably at less risk with Verizon unless you are sure the brand you buy on amazon is legit.

Having worked for a cell company before let me tell you that this is all incorrect. There is no testing. There's no real quality assurance. All that you really get are higher prices and sometimes annoying attempts to return products that don't work properly.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I never buy my accessories from my carrier. It's just marked up merchandise, in my opinion. And my luck has been the same with Amazon as it has with Verizon. See no reason to pay more for the same product.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Having worked for a cell company before let me tell you that this is all incorrect. There is no testing. There's no real quality assurance. All that you really get are higher prices and sometimes annoying attempts to return products that don't work properly.
Which cell phone company is that? And in what position?

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site

Curious why you say this? I'm not saying Verizon or any carrier has a lab to test, but they would test cases on each device to see if they fit, and they would also not be selling junk cables that can end up causing damage to the port as well.

Any major retailer does this (in some way or another). There has to be some filter for them or they get in trouble. If it weren't so then you would see a much larger selection of 3rd party suppliers that are cheaper for any phone carrier to buy and sell.