OtterBox Defender Note 7.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Blues, do you have this case?

Where can I see some good pictures of the Tech 21 Evo Tactical case? Is the inside of this case soft rubber or hard plastic?

I had the case, but returned it when I returned the Note 7 for the S7 Edge. It's a soft kind of rubber, the outer shell, but there is also an inner shell that is harder plastic similar to the Supcase.

If they make one for the S7 Edge I will by that and rock the screen naked.

Dennis Piccioni

Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
Evo looks like a less appealing copy of the
Unicorn Beetle Pro, which I am using and is a great case. (I am in the construction field) Unicorn Beetle Pro can be found at Amazon for Less than $20, compared to the Evo at around $50.

I'm using the Unicorn Beetle Pro right now, too, and I like it a lot!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Now we know why it took Otterbox so long to ship the Defender for the Note 7, What a pile of crap.

Yet, for the S7 Edge they did a masterful job on the Defender! I wonder if it is because the edges on the Note 7 are more steep than the S7 Edge which is a reason why maybe? The clear Symmetry case looks decent though. I would go with the Tech21 Evo Tactical XT if you want a defender style case. I hope they make one for the Edge soon.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the evo tactical last night to compare to my supcase beetle pro which I had for 3 weeks± and have been very happy with it. N7 Supcases combo survived a few drops and heavy work at my construction sites.

The evo tactical case edge lips are especially large at bottom of screen edge and very close to the buttons making it very annoying when hitting home button and backlit keys. I had to recalibrate my thumb print too. Top pull down is minor annoyance but I believe that will be easy to adapt to.

Supcase top section case frame is solid and dead on tight all around, with the evo tactical I can pull at center on each side and practically stick my thumb in each end. Maybe good for certain SPs but not so good for crap easily slipping inside case.

Supcase pro is more grippy in hand with texture on edges compared to the almost slippery feel of the evo tactical, maybe the slipperyness will vanish some with wear.

Still trying the evo tactical out, not sure which one I will keep as a daily but so far it looking like I may go back to the Supcase. Oh and the evo tactical does fit into the Supcases holster (Supcases holsters reminds me of seidio type holsters which locks in good with a tab, pull back. On it to release phone) . Tacticals just slides in a little slot on each side with no real locking mechanism which would make a guy nervous if one had to suddenly run with it holster at your side.

The one area where the Evo tactical shines over the Supcases is the bigger lips on side edges, biggest I have seen on a case, you could put a straight edge side to side and it would clear the glass.

I may make a more detailed thread comparing the 2 in near future.

I would suggest going to your local carrier (recently arriving locally here at verizon and Att around my area ) and trying the evo tactical on your phone, check out the functionality of the home button and keys before you purchase. See if your willing to get accustomed to it. If you need a good holster the evo tactical is not for you...... unless you already own the Supcases.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I picked up the evo tactical last night to compare to my supcase beetle pro which I had for 3 weeks± and have been very happy with it. N7 Supcases combo survived a few drops and heavy work at my construction sites.

The evo tactical case edge lips are especially large at bottom of screen edge and very close to the buttons making it very annoying when hitting home button and backlit keys. I had to recalibrate my thumb print too. Top pull down is minor annoyance but I believe that will be easy to adapt to.

Supcase top section case frame is solid and dead on tight all around, with the evo tactical I can pull at center on each side and practically stick my thumb in each end. Maybe good for certain SPs but not so good for crap easily slipping inside case.

Supcase pro is more grippy in hand with texture on edges compared to the almost slippery feel of the evo tactical, maybe the slipperyness will vanish some with wear.

Still trying the evo tactical out, not sure which one I will keep as a daily but so far it looking like I may go back to the Supcase. Oh and the evo tactical does fit into the Supcases holster (Supcases holsters reminds me of seidio type holsters which locks in good with a tab, pull back. On it to release phone) . Tacticals just slides in a little slot on each side with no real locking mechanism which would make a guy nervous if one had to suddenly run with it holster at your side.

The one area where the Evo tactical shines over the Supcases is the bigger lips on side edges, biggest I have seen on a case, you could put a straight edge side to side and it would clear the glass.

I may make a more detailed thread comparing the 2 in near future.

I would suggest going to your local carrier (recently arriving locally here at verizon and Att around my area ) and trying the evo tactical on your phone, check out the functionality of the home button and keys before you purchase. See if your willing to get accustomed to it. If you need a good holster the evo tactical is not for you...... unless you already own the Supcases.

I think that's what I will do, try them both out. Thanks for your comments on them both.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
So curiosity prompted me to order the Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro (white/gray), as others mentioned it is very similar to the Tech 21 Evo Tactical XT design, but less expensive. The Unicorn Beetle Pro is indeed an excellent value, costing a fraction of the price of the Tactical XT. Naturecannon's comparison of the two is spot on. He raised a lot of good points about each. Lots of pros for the Unicorn Beetle Pro--exceptional value, good protection, nice hand feel, etc. The pro for the Tactical XT is that the case rises higher above the screen's edges than the Unicorn Beetle Pro. I think both are excellent cases. I just wish the Beetle Pro's case edges were as elevated as the Tactical XT. I think the Beetle Pro feels hotter when charging on the wireless stand fast charger, but maybe because it is more rigid case. The Tactical XT is more flexible and jelly rubber-like, so maybe that gets less hot. I will test out both to see which I end up liking the best.

Here are pics of the Unicorn Beetle Pro--

20160924_204539.jpg

Last edited:

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
So curiosity prompted me to order the Supcase Unicorn Beetle Pro (white/gray), as others mentioned it is very similar to the Tech 21 Evo Tactical design, but less expensive. The Unicorn Beetle Pro is indeed an excellent value, costing a fraction of the price of the Tech 21 Evo Tactical. Naturecannon's comparison of the two is spot on. He raised a lot of good points about each. Lots of pros for the Unicorn Beetle Pro--exceptional value, good protection, nice hand feel, etc. The pro for the Tech 21 Tactical is that the case rises higher above the screen's edges than the Unicorn Beetle Pro. However, the edges of the Unicorn Beetle Pro are not shabby, rising just slightly above the screen edges. I think both are excellent cases. I just wish the Beetle Pro's case edges were as elevated as the Tech 21 Tactical. I think the Beetle Pro feels hotter when charging on the wireless stand fast charger, but maybe because it is more rigid case. The Tactical is more flexible and jelly rubber-like, so maybe that gets less hot. I will test out both to see which I end up liking the best.

Here are pics of the Unicorn Beetle Pro--

View attachment 240571

There are two tech 21 EVo cases. The standard one and the Tactical XT one which is their Defender version. I felt much safer with the Tech 21 one especially with the raised sides.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
There are two tech 21 EVo cases. The standard one and the Tactical XT one which is their Defender version. I felt much safer with the Tech 21 one especially with the raised sides.

I have both the Tech 21 Evo Tactical XT and the Supcase Beetle Pro. I have the Tactical XT in violet. I do like the higher, raised sides of the Tactical XT. I like the hand feel of the Beetle Pro. I think the pull down of the notification bar and side swipe of the edge menu are more fluid on the Beetle Pro, but that is probably b/c the case edges are not as raised on the Beetle Pro. So you get the easier edge swipe on the Beetle Pro at the expense of having less protection from the lower case sides. With the Tactical XT, edge swipe is less fluid, but you get more protection because of the raised case sides. Overall, I do prefer the higher, raised case sides on the Tactical XT and the supposed drop protection up to 13 ft. Both seem to be good cases. Can't go wrong with either.

20160923_142433.jpg

Last edited:

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Does the Evo Tactical XT have soft rubber on the inside of the faceplate so that the phone is not sitting against hard plastic?

It's rubber but I wouldn't call it soft rubber, it's not like otterbox soft rubber inner case. I guess I would say it's in between a soft rubber and plastic feel

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
I Really want to like the evo tactical because of the raised side lips/edges. Like I said earlier, highest side lips I have seen on any case I have personally looked at. Plus the Evo Tactical is a bit coushier than the supcase I need protection like this but the slickness of the case kind of voids the other protection for me. I am that guy that fumbles with stuff on occasion while always in a hurry, plus I am in a rough fast paced trade, so a slick feeling case is no good for me. As we all know, no matter how good a case is, luck or lack of luck comes into play also when dropping a phone. So once again slick case is big minus for me. First thing my wife Said when she held my phone with evo tactical case on "oh this is slippery, your going to drop it" lol.

I suppose I could sacrifice the beetle pro for the evo tactical on a daily basis if the tactical was didn't have 2 major annoyance for me, the lack of texture (it's on slippery side) and the annoying bottom edge interfering with my thumb while. Hitting the home button and backlit keys.

I beleive I seen some grip strip pads you can stick on the sides of a case. Maybe I will look into those before I decide return this evo tactical.

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Drats, I wish the Defender didn't have such bad reviews. A good Defender case would have been my go to choice. So now forced to decide between Tactical XT and the Beetle Pro. I am actually concerned about the shock absorption of the Beetle Pro. The rigidity and hardness of it makes me think bad things will happen if a drop were to occur. Tech 21 says the semi flexible material for the Tactical XT is designed for shock absorption on their website. But who knows really until the phone is dropped. Tech 21 attests to 13 ft drop protection. I don't think Supcase makes any assertions about drop distance, but I could be wrong. I wish the Tactical XT were grippier.

Last edited:

ticketbabe2

Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Just got Defender case. With bad reviews, was skeptical, but actually love it. Not easy to get on& off, but fits well. Only issue is have to type a little harder at bottom corners. Works fine on wireless charger as well as plug in. Pen pretty recessed, but comes out & in fine. Like the Edge feel better with the pastic cover..surprised..works well. Keeping!

Kangda

Aug 20, 2016
Visit site
Just got Defender case. With bad reviews, was skeptical, but actually love it. Not easy to get on& off, but fits well. Only issue is have to type a little harder at bottom corners. Works fine on wireless charger as well as plug in. Pen pretty recessed, but comes out & in fine. Like the Edge feel better with the pastic cover..surprised..works well. Keeping!

Do the sides of the Defender rise above the phone screen's edges? Namely, are the sides of the Defender case higher than the glass screen of the phone? I assume the top and bottom lips are higher, but I am interested to know if the sides of the case rise above the screen. Do you think the phone would stay in the case properly with removal of the built in screen protector? Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc