Wet-Install Screen Protectors - How Do They Feel?

besweeet

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
It's been years since I used a screen protector that required liquid for installation. One common trend is that they were a tad thick, and a little mushy in that you can put your fingernail into it to where the indent will stay there. Is that the case nowadays?

I'm asking because the only matte screen protectors that adhere to the curved glass are wet installs, and are the only ones that I can find right now.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The one I've used with the Note 5 and S7 Edge from IQ Shield is barely noticeable both when handling the phone and when looking at it. No issues with cases either (especially on the Edge, where I feared the edges might peel off).

besweeet

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
The one I've used with the Note 5 and S7 Edge from IQ Shield is barely noticeable both when handling the phone and when looking at it. No issues with cases either (especially on the Edge, where I feared the edges might peel off).

Good to know. I'll take the plunge. I'm going with the Skinomi model as it'll ship sooner on Amazon. It appears to be the same as the IQ Shield version.

James Pettengill

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the skinomi on my S6edge+ and it had held up great for the last year. No issues with lifting on the curves or edges. Only issue is due to my own in that I sprayed Off insect repellent on me while holding my phone in the other hand and the over spray got on the screen protector and it left dull marks that will not wipe off. They have slowly started to fade tho. Again, my own fault.
I've got another skinomi protector here waiting for the note 7, which shows out for delivery today!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
On IQ Shield, installed on two S7 Edges, I didn't get any bubbles at all after installation (just follow the VERY WET instructions and squeegee out the bubbles initially and you're good to go). On the third one I installed I got a couple of tiny bubbles that I squeegeed out of the protector the next day (could have been before, but my friend didn't notice them until the next morning as they were on one of the dark edges).

James Pettengill

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
If installed correctly you shouldn't have any air bubbles under the film. They should all smooth out during the application process. A bubble that won't work out is an indication of dust and chewies under there.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
When I tried skinomi on a previous phone it left a greasy looking residue between the screen protector and phone that didn't go away, even though I wiped the phone clean and never touched the screen side of the protector. So I ended up taking it off after a few days and throwing it away.

Anyone else ever experience that with wet application protectors?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not on IQ Shield's. My only gripe with those is that installation is VERY wet for it to work properly, which means you need to let it dry for a couple of hours if you want the edges to truly stick, so as long as you do it before you go to bed, you're OK.

jmcunningham

Aug 17, 2016
Visit site
I bought the Zagg today at Best Buy and so far I hate it. Picks up all the oil from my fingers every time I use it. So the screen constantly has a haze on it. Annoying. Also started pulling up when I put a minimal case on it.

durandetto

Trusted Member
Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I got the iq shield for free to try out and write a review on it. I've never used their tpu screen covers before. Their tempered glass ones were pretty good and their customer service is amazing. I'm just using the tpu one till someone makes a good, case friendly glass one. If they ever do.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I got the iq shield for free to try out and write a review on it. I've never used their tpu screen covers before. Their tempered glass ones were pretty good and their customer service is amazing. I'm just using the tpu one till someone makes a good, case friendly glass one. If they ever do.
You should write an Amazon review so I can vote it as "not helpful".

tntiger

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I just installed the IQ Shield and it went on well but I do have a few small bubbles that I can't get rid of . . . it also has a few streaky places. Their installation video says that these should go away in 24 to 48 hours. If they don't I'll call their customer service to see what to do next. I followed the instructions to the "t" and didn't ever touch the adhesive side of the film. The film is adhering to the edges extremely well and it is such a good fit that I can't even tell it's there except in a couple of places where my alignment was off by a couple of microns (well that and the few bubbles and streaks!

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I just installed the IQ Shield and it went on well but I do have a few small bubbles that I can't get rid of . . . it also has a few streaky places. Their installation video says that these should go away in 24 to 48 hours. If they don't I'll call their customer service to see what to do next. I followed the instructions to the "t" and didn't ever touch the adhesive side of the film. The film is adhering to the edges extremely well and it is such a good fit that I can't even tell it's there except in a couple of places where my alignment was off by a couple of microns (well that and the few bubbles and streaks!
For note 7?

eRod v1.0

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I installed the IQ shield on my Note 7. I can't get the corners and some of the edge to stay down. It's been over 14 hours since install. I tried to put a Spigen case on and it caused the corners to come up again. On to the next protector.....

tntiger

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site
I installed the IQ shield on my Note 7. I can't get the corners and some of the edge to stay down. It's been over 14 hours since install. I tried to put a Spigen case on and it caused the corners to come up again. On to the next protector.....

I'm having the same problem with mine. The bubbles went away overnight but there are a few discolored areas at the top and 2 different cases pushed the corners and sides up (Spigen Neo-Hybrid and Caseology Wavelength). I'm going to contact the IQ Shield customer service department to see what they recommend before I move on to another protector. I have an Otterbox Defender pre-ordered from Amazon so maybe I won't need a protector for very long anyway.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Just installed mine and no issues. You have to get it REALLY wet and hold down the edges for a couple of minutes before letting dry overnight (and of course, providing you squeegeed out all the water). BUT it will lift with 'edgy' cases.