I bought the Speck Candyshell Grip Case and was sorely disappointed that it corner provides virtually zero protection for the S-pen corner.

They claim "Military-grade drop protection. Certified to meet or exceed MIL-STD-810G drop test standards." However, I tried a light tap of that corner against my desk and I can hear the metal hitting the desk. There is a very flimsy piece of raised rubber on the top side but I was able to move it out of the way with almost no force.

Speck Candyshell Grip Case provides virtually no protection on the s-pen corner-uploadfromtaptalk1471877082721.jpgSpeck Candyshell Grip Case provides virtually no protection on the s-pen corner-uploadfromtaptalk1471877093853.jpgSpeck Candyshell Grip Case provides virtually no protection on the s-pen corner-uploadfromtaptalk1471877104357.jpg
    08-22-2016 09:51 AM
    Bummer! They usually have pretty decent cases. I haven't used them in a few years, but I was always impressed by their quality and build...until now.

Posted from the N7 Dolphin Tears™ on Big Red
    08-22-2016 10:17 AM
    I have the black version of this case and I noticed the same thing. I love the fit and finish of the case, but if it doesn't protect the phone fully, then what's the point?
    08-22-2016 03:54 PM
    I was set to buy this case today with the speck coupon they emailed me but I decided to try it first. Went to Verizon and noticed the same thing. Not only is the gap big but the material there is so flimsy it will provide zero protection if it falls on that corner. Disappointing as it was my favorite case on my note 5
    crystinonfire likes this.
    08-22-2016 04:37 PM
    Yeah, Speck usually makes some decent cases. From the look of it, they could have made that corner more solid. However I think it would provide some protection if dropped directly on it.
    08-22-2016 05:49 PM
    It looks like it will in pictures until you feel the material. The rubber material is so floppy that it takes no effort to move it. That material is great when backed by the hard plastic shell, but that area has no backing at all. It's just a floppy piece of rubber.
    08-22-2016 06:05 PM
    And two holes of the speaker is covered up.

And lot of the cases for the Note 7 offer very minimal cover on the S Pen corner.
    08-22-2016 06:08 PM
    Totally agree. I bought the speck for my N7 because I had it for my N5 and it survived a lot of drops. But this N7 design -- including a partially covered speaker port and an exposed s-pen corner -- is ridiculous. The funniest part is that I emailed Speck to ask about the speaker port and they said they designed it that way to improve drop protection. Then *why* did you leave the s-pen corner so exposed?!
    08-22-2016 08:46 PM
    I have the black version of this case and I noticed the same thing. I love the fit and finish of the case, but if it doesn't protect the phone fully, then what's the point?
    I have the Speck, but decided to order a Spigen crystal hybrid case from Amazon after discovering its lack of S-pen corner protection. The Spigen definitely offers more protection on the pen corner, but it seems less sturdy overall. So now this is really a toss up.

Are there any other cases you are considering? I went by t-mobile to try out the Tech 21 and they don't even fit the phone properly.
    08-22-2016 08:49 PM
    I ordered a few on Amazon that will be here tomorrow. The UAG and SUPCASE look solid but I'm not sure how well they'll hold up. I usually try to stick with a quality case, especially on such an expensive phone. I really like the Tech 21 but the back is too slippery for my hands, hence me getting the Speck. I can't believe a company as big (in the case market at least) as Speck would let such a design flaw slide...
    08-24-2016 06:19 PM