Note 7 changer support

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
When I opened the box of my wife's Note 7 I was surprised to see that the charger that came with it was an USB type A and it only supports 2A. I was expecting to see a USB Type C charger supporting 3A, like my Nexus 6P. This is one of the benefits of Type C is supporting higher amps.

So my question is does the Note 7 support 3A's from a USB Type C changer like the Nexus 6P's charger? If not it surprises me that they moved to this new port and not taken advantage of any of the new features like increased power or USB 3.1.

I gotta say my nexus 6P, with pretty much the same size battery, definitely charges faster than the wife's Note 7, both using their factory chargers.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I believe the Note 7 supports Qualcomm's Quick Charge (or Samsung's rebrand of that), so any Qualcomm Quick Charger should charge it at maximum speeds.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I believe the Note 7 supports Qualcomm's Quick Charge (or Samsung's rebrand of that), so any Qualcomm Quick Charger should charge it at maximum speeds.
Yeah, it may not get to 3A, but the Quick Charge tech allows it to move the voltage up. Amps x Volts = Power (Watts).

jam4775

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Well the Quick Charging they're using on the N7 is definitely not anywhere near as fast as the Type-C to Type-C charging at 3A used on the 6P

Maybe QC3 would've been better if they used that... But just don't understand why they're not taking more advantage of the Type-C port.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Well the Quick Charging they're using on the N7 is definitely not anywhere near as fast as the Type-C to Type-C charging at 3A used on the 6P

Maybe QC3 would've been better if they used that... But just don't understand why they're not taking more advantage of the Type-C port.

Unless your device charges way faster than the unit anandtech used, there must be something wrong with your wife's device or charger. Screenshot_20160824-172713.jpg Quick charge 2.0 can charge my device in less than 2 hours so I can confirm it's correct for the Note charge time. It's faster than what Google is using with the Nexus, plus it's much easier to identify a quick charge 2.0 compatible charger than the standard USB C charger. Personally, I think quick charge is superior and I'm glad they used it although 3.0 would have been better. Screenshot_20160824-173159.png

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Oh yeah, even if you weren't counting the extra 40 min it was drawing power after saying it was at 100%, the technology in the 6p would probably still be considered inferior because of the charge time in relation to the battery sizes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair