Official Samsung wireless charging battery case

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Just received my battery charging case today. This is my first battery charging case for any phone since I always thought they were bulky and ugly. This one appealed to me since it didn't add any extra length to the phone because of wireless charging. Initial impressions is it's definitely thick and won't my daily case. I'll just throw it in my bag and will come handy on days where I'm stretching for battery. Unless you are a very heavy user don't think this case makes sense for $89. I'll see over the next 30 days if it's useful and then decide if I have to keep it or return.

Last thing the case charges via USB C which is nice.

54f149076753e6d58d0a944436ee4c93.jpg

1b99ae781a3220b4b345f00f97dbad57.jpg

0e387def152457e764ae58af87452e4e.jpg

666b854bf9abcee92db98e2667348516.jpg

360cbff428810fd0f17e4208b6e100bb.jpg

93db78261b66f0af45d2dcecef2d3a47.jpg

1c6613bae8f4c4dbbdb37cf926a1347c.jpg

7a28b7b171bffda86d8400a799e0ec03.jpg

6bb8c5e4aa4c5bdda9764983d414caf2.jpg

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting the detailed pics. I see samsung didn't bother to learn form their Edge 7 case shortcomings -> Paltry battery capacity (3100 mah << less than the 3500 mah of the on board phone battery esp when you take into account the inefficiencies of wireless charging so you will likely only be able to recharge to 50 to 60% of the on board battery's capacity- which also generates a lot of heat btw - so not good to have this in your pocket or purse). This not surprising because the very nature of samsung's wireless charging implementation would mean the case would have to become unwieldy to eek out more capacity vs. mophie which uses the charging port (the Mophie case can be wirelessly charged and includes prioritized pass through to the phone while it is in the case, i.e., the when placed on a wireless charging pad, the phone will top off first before the Mophie case starts charging). That being said, I could probably live with the samsung case in a pinch even with the lower battery capacity except for the physical case design itself. Specifically, the lack of raised edge guards at the top and bottom to provide enhanced screen protection on drops or to allow you to lay the phone face down on a flat surface. Looks like I will have to wait to see if Mophie responds with a Note 7 version of their juice pack which is electrically and physically superior.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
To the OP - be careful about the heat if placed in a bag or pocket as discussed above and post back with your results as to the capacity it can charge back to a nearly depleted Note 7 battery, thanks.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting the detailed pics. I see samsung didn't bother to learn form their Edge 7 case shortcomings -> Paltry battery capacity (3100 mah << less than the 3500 mah of the on board phone battery esp when you take into account the inefficiencies of wireless charging so you will likely only be able to recharge to 50 to 60% of the on board battery's capacity- which also generates a lot of heat btw - so not good to have this in your pocket or purse). This not surprising because the very nature of samsung's wireless charging implementation would mean the case would have to become unwieldy to eek out more capacity vs. mophie which uses the charging port (the Mophie case can be wirelessly charged and includes prioritized pass through to the phone while it is in the case, i.e., the when placed on a wireless charging pad, the phone will top off first before the Mophie case starts charging). That being said, I could probably live with the samsung case in a pinch even with the lower battery capacity except for the physical case design itself. Specifically, the lack of raised edge guards at the top and bottom to provide enhanced screen protection on drops or to allow you to lay the phone face down on a flat surface. Looks like I will have to wait to see if Mophie responds with a Note 7 version of their juice pack which is electrically and physically superior.
I totally agree with you. Waiting on a mophie for those long days.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
To the OP - be careful about the heat if placed in a bag or pocket as discussed above and post back with your results as to the capacity it can charge back to a nearly depleted Note 7 battery, thanks.
Sure thanks... It heats up little if I'm using and charging at the same time. Charges very slowly since it's the wireless charging not even fast wireless charging. The scenarios you use this when you have 20 to 30% left but want to keep using the phone for the next several hours without hooking to a charger. As far as protection, personally I don't care and I'm still looking for a minimalistic battery case. This one comes close with lots of other limitation.

Currently at 40℅ and the case says approximately 2hr and 4 mts to fully charge (assuming I'm not using the phone I take it)

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I have this case and love it for my use scenario. I don't use it as a daily type of case. I use it whenever my battery is running low but I still need to use my phone. I can charge the phone while still being able to use it and remain mobile (not tethered to a wall).

I also decided to buy it because it won't be obsolete when I move on to another phone. It will serve me well as a wireless charging pad for any phone that can use wireless charging (just set the phone on the case in a perpendicular fashion).

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased this at the AT&T store. I was hoping the case could be charged wirelessly, but not a big deal. I'll have to plug it in.

What I like about the case is that it'll charge my phone wirelessly and that, unlike the mophie cases, this one has an IP68 rating, which means I can charge my phone on rainy days, which is awesome.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

It's only got a 3100 mAh battery in the case, so it'll charge it up most of the way, but not all the way.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I dropped my S7 edge on carpeting in a mophie juice pack and even though the juice pack had raised edges, the phone actually popped out of the case. The damage would have been so much worse if I would have dropped it on cement.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It's only got a 3100 mAh battery in the case, so it'll charge it up most of the way, but not all the way.
It's not even gonna charge most of the way in my experience with the s7 edge one, which is basically the same thing. I do like that it's waterproof as well though. Not sure if that was the case with the s7 edge one. At least I never heard of that.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
It's not even gonna charge most of the way in my experience with the s7 edge one, which is basically the same thing. I do like that it's waterproof as well though. Not sure if that was the case with the s7 edge one. At least I never heard of that.
It actually charges faster than the s7 edge. That one charges extremely slow. This one on the other hand is very bearable and realistic...

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It actually charges faster than the s7 edge. That one charges extremely slow. This one on the other hand is very bearable and realistic...
Really?! So you'd recommend it? I just had a bad experience with the s7 edge one. If you're saying this one is noticeably better though, I'd consider it

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I just ordered mine. Someone here posted a discount code for it that works with Samsung and T-Mobile (probably with the other carriers too), got it for $62.99 + tax, came out to $68.03.