Sprint Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sdn2995

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Called my closest corporate store and they said they really didn't have any structure on how the swap out was going to go. So no list to get put on but he did say that all the note 7's they were getting in would be for swap out only so just to come in. They have not been told anything official about next Friday but he did say that they powers to be were trying real hard to make it happen next week. He did suggest calling later in the week to make sure the phones were in. So IMO so far plus 1 for sprint on how they are handling this.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Sprint...good experience with recall info

Like everyone else, I'd called yesterday to my local carrier office (Sprint) to find out what was up. To no one's surprise, no one knew anything yet. I left my phone number and they said they'd get back to me.

This afternoon, I got a call from the store, they provided a stock statement and gave me three options:

Return unconditionally now with no repercussions and they'd be happy to setup a new device with me in store.

Swap out my phone for a new Note 7, they expected stock as early as Friday. They mentioned I didn't need to bring box or cables or anything and that They'd be happy to compensate me for any screen protectors I'd lose (by way of store credit or cash if I brouvht a receipt) as well I wouldn't get any activation fees.

They also offered to swap out my phone for a Gs7 edge temporarily, but that they were going to run low on stock. So I should come in if that's what I wanted to do (soon).

When I said I'd hold on until Friday, they said fine...told me I was welcome to change my mind. Made an appointment and asked me what color I had...I asked them if they cared if I switched colors (out of curiosity) and they said it didn't matter....but to let them know what I'd prefer they'd be happy to hold me one...I gave them two options and told them it didn't matter which...they said they appreciated it.

I got a text confirming my appt 10 min later!

Overall...that's more than I was expecting and I have to say that I'm pleased with how both Samsung and Sprint are handling this.

Lucky you I got some ***** that told me to check back in a couple weeks.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

Yes Corpate Store , but my impression was a younger employee that dident know whats up ,he put me on hold to give me that answer , Samsung says 2 week build for replacement, so well see ,eather way no big deal , glad to see Samsung take owner ship on this!

So with out abusing the Note 7 a good time to test the glass between replacement , to ensure the high dollar investment I made ,most expensive phone I ever purchased.

AxiosENT

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
i went to a coporate/repair store and they told just to come next week - no option given at all even thou I got the txt from sprint outlying my options...
front desk girl was rude too. I called back when I got home to see if I would get someone with more experience and the guy on the phone was as clueless and I told him she didn't give me an option even thou I was given options by the announcement so he said he couldn't find that announcement and the best he could do is return my phone and give me an s7 with $25 gift card lol. he did advise new shipment would be coming in Tuesday and to call in if it came in. what ill do now is just wait and call or stop by Monday to speak to a manger when its not busy and see how the exchange is gonna work. I work overnights and would want to handle this as fast I can without all the hassle of waiting longer then I need to.

toenail_flicker

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site

So with out abusing the Note 7 a good time to test the glass between replacement , to ensure the high dollar investment I made ,most expensive phone I ever purchased.
Exactly. I did that today, madness and traffic and all. Did not disappoint. Great phone and the glass survived me. Not an easy task. I did have a death grip on it at times, though, just to make sure I don't drop it and kill it before the recall replacements get here.

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have to say I am more and more impressed with how Sprint is dealing with this. They were very helpful when I stopped in the store on Friday to see what I needed to do. I got the text message from Sprint yesterday as well. And yesterday afternoon I got a call from the store manager just to give me an update on when I should be able to make the swap (next Friday is when they expect the new phones) and to just check and make sure I am not having any problems with the phone. Everyone with Sprint that I have dealt with on this has been very courteous and knowledgeable with this issue.

glenninduluth

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I went to the Sprint website to check this out. I could be wrong, but the way I understand this "Save $480" deal is you have to pay for it up front at full price on a two year contract and then you will get a mail in rebate for the $480. It does not apply to those paying the monthly installments. Also, if you want to pay full price up front but not sign a two year contract then there is no rebate for you. Still, not a bad deal as long as you don't mind paying full price up front and still being locked in for two years.
And so it begins.

eyecon82

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I went to the Sprint website to check this out. I could be wrong, but the way I understand this "Save $480" deal is you have to pay for it up front at full price on a two year contract and then you will get a mail in rebate for the $480. It does not apply to those paying the monthly installments. Also, if you want to pay full price up front but not sign a two year contract then there is no rebate for you. Still, not a bad deal as long as you don't mind paying full price up front and still being locked in for two years.
Basically what it costs for those of us on subsidized plans

liebertron

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I was initially denied my N7 recall...

I will admit, I have a N7 with a cracked screen. I could write another thread about this all together, seeing that Gorilla Glass 5 is rated to impact a 5 foot drop with 80% success, I cannot imagine that it could not handle a 3 inch drop...

Anyway, I call Sprint today asking what to do about my recall. They initially said that because my screen is cracked it has voided the warranty and they will not accept the phone for its recall. They advise me that I should call Samsung and they can resolve this issue. I call Samsung and get the same run around. The representative says that because there is screen damage there is nothing they can do. Despite explaining that the phone took a 3 inch drop and that my belief that the screen should not have suffered any damage. They said I can send the phone in for a 2 week "investigation" and they can tell me if the screen is faulty or not. Otherwise, they advise that I call back Sprint and have them handle the situation.

I ask for a supervisor and am put on hold for about 5 minutes when the Samsung representative comes back and says that we will call Sprint together and try and resolve the situation. I am put on hold again and a woman named Jennifer from Sprint customer care answers and explains that she just spoke with the Samsung representative and would be happy to help me with my recalled N7. I politely ask if the Samsung rep had explained about the cracked screen and to no surprise, Jennifer had no idea what I was talking. She said that the Samsung representative said nothing other than to help me with a recalled N7 before hanging up.

I explain the situation to Jennifer much like I have explained the situation to you. She says that she is calling the Sprint store that I initially spoke to as it is her understanding that all the N7s have been recalled and that the cracked screen should not be a problem for a recall. Jennifer comes back and explains that not a single manager will be at that Sprint store until Thursday and the current representative at the Sprint store would not take my N7 back citing the warranty issue. Luckily, Jennifer at Sprint customer care is the bomb and after another 5 minute hold me she comes back and says she re-read the entire recall contract, noting that in the contract is specifically states that ALL N7s, regardless of condition, must be recalled and exchanged. Yes, she took time to re-read, investigate, and not just cite a warranty issue.

Jennifer to the rescue! What a story it would have been if my N7 exploded and I had to explain that the Sprint store denied my recall... She made notes in the chart as to the conversation but was not able to authorize the exchange herself until the manager returns to the store. There doesn't appear to be any N7s in the area at the moment so I cant exchange the phone regardless, so this story remains open at this point. I have a good feeling that the N7 will be exchanged but I could have easily just have thought, "oh, well the warranty is voided" and never been able to exchange my recalled N7. I would have ultimately taken up the fight that something is wrong with the screen given that it should have never cracked in the first place, but it will be nice to correct the explosive issue... I hope... more to come this week.

Last edited:

Teamjones

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: I was initially denied my N7 recall...

I will admit, I have a N7 with a cracked screen. I could write another thread about this all together, seeing that Gorilla Glass 5 is rated to impact a 5 foot drop with 80% success, I cannot imagine that it could not handle a 3 inch drop...

Anyway, I call Sprint today asking what to do about my recall. They initially said that because my screen is cracked it has voided the warranty and they will not accept the phone for its recall. They advise me that I should call Samsung and they can resolve this issue. I call Samsung and get the same run around. The representative says that because there is screen damage there is nothing they can do. Despite explaining that the phone took a 3 inch drop and that my belief that the screen should not have suffered any damage. They said I can send the phone in for a 2 week "investigation" and they can tell me if the screen is faulty or not. Otherwise, they advise that I call back Sprint and have them handle the situation.

I ask for a supervisor and am put on hold for about 5 minutes when the Samsung representative comes back and says that we will call Sprint together and try and resolve the situation. I am put on hold again and a woman named Jennifer from Sprint customer care answers and explains that she just spoke with the Samsung representative and would be happy to help me with my recalled N7. I politely ask if the Samsung rep had explained about the cracked screen and to no surprise, Jennifer had no idea what I was talking. She said that the Samsung representative said nothing other than to help me with a recalled N7 before hanging up.

I explain the situation to Jennifer much like I have explained the situation to you. She says that she is calling the Sprint store that I initially spoke to as it is her understanding that all the N7s have been recalled and that the cracked screen should not be a problem for a recall. Jennifer comes back and explains that not a single manager will be at that Sprint store until Thursday and the current representative at the Sprint store would not take my N7 back citing the warranty issue. Luckily, Jennifer at Sprint customer care is the bomb and after another 5 minute hold me she comes back and says she re-read the entire recall contract, noting that in the contract is specifically states that ALL N7s, regardless of condition, must be recalled and exchanged. Yes, she took time to re-read, investigate, and not just cite a warranty issue.

Jennifer to the rescue! What a story it would have been if my N7 exploded and I had to explain that the Sprint store denied my recall... She made notes in the chart as to the conversation but was not able to authorize the exchange herself until the manager returns to the store. There doesn't appear to be any N7s in the area at the moment so I cant exchange the phone regardless, so this story remains open at this point. I have a good feeling that the N7 will be exchanged but I could have easily just have thought, "oh, well the warranty is voided" and never been able to exchange my recalled N7. I would have ultimately taken up the fight that something is wrong with the screen given that it should have never cracked in the first place, but it will be nice to correct the explosive issue... I hope... more to come this week.

What i don't get is if Samsung is telling the carrier's to take the recall phones, why do they act like it's coming out of their bottom line? They are just returning them to Samsung so it's going to be like a wash.

They should just get together and start opening stores around the world, calling them ANDROID CENTRAL (after licencing the name from them 😂) and sell all android base phones and not send them to the carriers...lol cut out the middle man.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Useful information, looks like all the chatter about possibly bad circuitry and connectors might not be the case. According to the way this article reads, it's really just the battery, "samsung batteries" to be exact.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-note-7-drops-samsung-sdi-batteries-714788/

So with that said, do you all think they are gonna just take our returned notes swap out the batteries and use them as refurbished insurance trade units?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante