Verizon Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I for one would want the "new box for old box". Just like a refurbished device you may get from a warranty claim - they usually just send the device and that no longer matches the label on the box. I keep everything with my devices in anticipation of resell. If the IMEI of the device doesn't match the box - red flag.

Me too that is one reason why I returned for refund in case the replacements don't come in full retail packaging.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Re: Exchange Through Samsung If You Purchased Through US Retailer?

Samsung is directing you to your carrier where you purchased the phone. At this time they arent taking any exchanges directly. This is imo their way to not have to deal with the mess of it all. This way the deal with a handful of carriers vs a million individuals. Its pretty disgraceful if you ask me.

Hmmm... Disgraceful? I don't know... I think probably way more efficient, personally. It would seem to me that customers are going to get their phones replaced a lot faster and with a lot less hassle through carriers/stores than Samsung trying to handle these on an individual case by case basis, considering all the subtle nuances involved of getting all these phones reactivated on the various carriers...

Granted, I am kind of a die-hard Sammy fan, but I think they're handling this really admirably.
<think auto industry by comparison... :)>

I too am frustrated, though... Since my first Note 7 had a screen defect, this replacement will be my 3rd Note 7... <sigh>

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site

Hmmm... Disgraceful? I don't know... I think probably way more efficient, personally. It would seem to me that customers are going to get their phones replaced a lot faster and with a lot less hassle through carriers/stores than Samsung trying to handle these on an individual case by case basis, considering all the subtle nuances involved of getting all these phones reactivated on the various carriers...

Granted, I am kind of a die-hard Sammy fan, but I think they're handling this really admirably.
<think auto industry by comparison... :)>

I too am frustrated, though... Since my first Note 7 had a screen defect, this replacement will be my 3rd Note 7... <sigh>
That post was made after hours on the phone with them refusing to honor their own policy posted on their website. After the dust settled the only issue I have with this recall is there was no uniformed way to handle returns and exchanges. Every carrier and retail store made up their own rules and most of them didnt follow the ones they made up.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Good question but I'm sure Samsung has ramped up the new replacements. Maybe later down the road if you have a warranty claim, you'll probably end up with a "used but with a new battery" device. I'm still contemplating what I'm going to do.
I seriously doubt Samsung will resell phones recalled for a safety issue, even if fixed. The cost of parts and the cost to make them isn't worth the risk.

MikeS1971

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
If every one of these phones is a ticking time bomb, I wonder if Samsung would even want them back? Could you imagine if one went boom in a delivery truck or airplane during shipping? Not only could that individual phone cause a fire, but it could start a chain reaction with the other phones it's being shipped with.

They may be destroyed or recycled locally.

drusum

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Plus 1. I'm not having issues or concerns at all. I'm using two different third party wireless chargers, a third party cable w a third party cigarette adapter, a third party cable w a third party wall brick and micro to C adapter and a couple of original samsung chargers as well. The phone hasn't gotten "too hot" in any scenario. Which begs the question... What temp IS considered too hot?

I had a "too hot" heat issue once so far with the phone... it was doing a pushed Android update, and the phone was about done "optimizing" all my apps. I had a clear Speck case on it, and had laid it on the wireless charger before the update. I picked it up and it was uncomfortable to the touch. I quickly took the Speck case off and laid it nekkid on a glass shelf in my refrigerator for awhile. I think the combination of charging / running the proc full bore for the update is a good indicator of how hot these can get - pretty crispy. I should have taken my heat gun and measured the temp of the back of the case, but I didn't. It can't be good for a phone to get so hot you can barely touch it, which would be how I would personally measure, "How Hot Is Too Hot?"... <sigh> Because that's probably not too far below catching on fire, or worse.

If you do any updates... attend your phone, or better yet, just put it in your refrigerator nekkid while it updates.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Plus 1. I'm not having issues or concerns at all. I'm using two different third party wireless chargers, a third party cable w a third party cigarette adapter, a third party cable w a third party wall brick and micro to C adapter and a couple of original samsung chargers as well. The phone hasn't gotten "too hot" in any scenario. Which begs the question... What temp IS considered too hot?

I had a "too hot" heat issue once so far with the phone... it was doing a pushed Android update, and the phone was about done "optimizing" all my apps. I had a clear Speck case on it, and had laid it on the wireless charger before the update. I picked it up and it was uncomfortable to the touch. I quickly took the Speck case off and laid it nekkid on a glass shelf in my refrigerator for awhile. I think the combination of charging / running the proc full bore for the update is a good indicator of how hot these can get - pretty crispy. I should have taken my heat gun and measured the temp of the back of the case, but I didn't. It can't be good for a phone to get so hot you can barely touch it, which would be how I would personally measure, "How Hot Is Too Hot?"... <sigh> Because that's probably not too far below catching on fire, or worse.

If you do any updates... attend your phone, or better yet, just put it in your refrigerator nekkid while it updates.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site

That post was made after hours on the phone with them refusing to honor their own policy posted on their website. After the dust settled the only issue I have with this recall is there was no uniformed way to handle returns and exchanges. Every carrier and retail store made up their own rules and most of them didnt follow the ones they made up.

Agree, agree... my independent Verizon dealer doesn't quite know what they're going to do yet either, and I admit that was a bit frustrating... But it's only been a few days... :)

souffoue

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I was told by a Verizon phone rep (you can take this with a grain of salt!) that they will have the phones for exchange on the 20th, but will not start selling new phones until the 30th. So, theoretically, you'll be able to swap phones between the 20th and 30th, when there won't be any "retail" sales.
Thanks for the info!

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007