Verizon Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
TL;DR so this may be repetitive...but I just talked to a Verizon store employee at an actual Verizon store AND a Samsung expert (at Best Buy). Both said the same thing...it is not a "recall". If a customer wants to return the phone they can, they can then buy something else. If they keep the phone Samsung will be giving them $25 to spend on accessories. Both were adamant nothing has happened in the states and that the issues are because of the difference in charge between us and "not us". Also they claimed third party chargers were used.

It seems either there is some back pedaling going on somewhere or it's still just one big mass of confusion (or perhaps a bit of both).

I think there's a certain strategy to how Samsung has announced the "voluntary recall". In the US, typically, companies have to go through consumer agency groups for official recalls. In those cases there are certain protocols that need to be followed and the Note 7 would be banned until certain things are met. This is why there hasn't been like an official recall that we normally see for other products. Samsung is circumventing the process by doing it this way I believe to get the devices back out to people faster, get the unsafe devices off the street and beat the iPhone 7. It will be interesting to see if there is any backlash at some point by authorities in how Samsung handled this recall.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Correct, these will be refurbished with new batteries and sold as refurbs.

Sure they will! They will go through the devices and the ones that aren't subjected to the bad batteries will be refurbished and resold.

Got a source link?

No one knows what Samsung is going to do with those phones, not even Samsung yet.

Sure they do. No way (from a business stand point) they won't salvage what they can. Heck, they can even use all new batteries in 2.5 million devices and resell as refurbished. After all - the recall is voluntary.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I would go back to my note 4 but I sent it in as Verizon offered $200 for it. So I'm kinda stuck unless I want to trade. I'd rather just exchange for the good ones when they come in. But the more I read, the more I overthink.

I went to Verizon to look at the S7E....but I couldn't do it. I'll keep this one until I can swap one for one. There isn't anything out there at this point that can beat the N7.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
That's funny. Because I went into my local Verizon store today. I was told the same thing I was told on the phones. They are looking to have them in by the end of the week. And that I had until the 30th to get in a exchange it for the new one. Also told me I should hang on to my phone until they have them in Stock if I planned to exchange for another note 7

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Sure they will! They will go through the devices and the ones that aren't subjected to the bad batteries will be refurbished and resold.

Sure they do. No way (from a business stand point) they won't salvage what they can. Heck, they can even use all new batteries in 2.5 million devices and resell as refurbished. After all - the recall is voluntary.
The most expensive part in the phone is like $60.

Also there is more to consider than a dollar figure when making these decisions. I happen to disagree they will put these phones whole on the market, the lawsuit risk is too great.

None of us know what they will do with them because phones recalled for a safety issue are a huge lawsuit liability.

None of us know what they will do with them.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
That's funny. Because I went into my local Verizon store today. I was told the same thing I was told on the phones. They are looking to have them in by the end of the week. And that I had until the 30th to get in a exchange it for the new one. Also told me I should hang on to my phone until they have them in Stock if I planned to exchange for another note 7

They must have sent out the same speel to all the stores as that's what this guy said too. :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
2.5 million devices times 60 beans is a cool 150 million. Piece mill them and save the cash. This recall is gonna cost them dearly but why make it worse.
Ok last comment, we have a thread for this subject.

Factories have ways to recycle and get their money back.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
During charging my battery is only getting around 96 degrees. Not too bad I wouldnt think. Not sure what it is getting during discharge though lol.

Shawn0813

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
Without knowing if these phone will simply be refurbished or new, I will just return mine for full refund and wait until the iPhone announcement. I don't think the new iPhone would be nowhere near as good as the note 7 is but there are just to many ifs at this moment.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Without knowing if these phone will simply be refurbished or new, I will just return mine for full refund and wait until the iPhone announcement. I don't think the new iPhone would be nowhere near as good as the note 7 is but there are just to many ifs at this moment.
The phones will be new that you get to replace, that has never, ever been a question.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
The phones will be new that you get to replace, that has never, ever been a question.
To be sure, I too will return the entire phone in tbe old box in one transaction and buy the new phone in a new box to be sure the phone I receive is brand new and not refurbished.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
To be sure, I too will return the entire phone in tbe old box in one transaction and buy the new phone in a new box to be sure the phone I receive is brand new and not refurbished.
They are making the phones as we speak. Samsung said, we will replace your phones with new ones.

It's is out there, it is official and Samsung isn't going to play around.

drusum

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Giving refurbished devices to people that just spent close to a 1,000 dollars wouldn't be the smartest choice for Samsung. The consumer is already questioning the brand and their products. I'm sure they wouldn't want more backlash. They'll give us brand new devices because that's the smart business move in this particular situation.

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Guess they're sending out the mass communication now. Note how they make sure to frame it as not a recall but an "exchange program". They need to tread carefully with that language to avoid government hassle. I love lawyers and publicists lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX