Verizon Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I was just at a Verizon corporate store. They said they do not have any new Note 7s for exchange, and that if we exchange for a different device. That is it. No second exchange back to the Note 7. He recommends I hold out for a straight up exchange (Note 7 for Note 7) or return it for full refund. Problem is I don't have a backup device. Then I went to my local Best Buy and spoke to Jay (who is a great Samsung rep). He said Best Buy actually has new Note 7s in stock for exchange, but they can actually process exchanges until the Consumer Protection organization gives Samsung the okay. Damn. He said new devices arrived yesterday at Best Buy.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
Im at Verizon now. We can exchange for the note 7 back, but have to pay the difference.

But only by the 30th.

Going to exchange for s7e or v10. And of note 7 ever comes back i will pay back the difference with the refund.

DasWindows

Jul 9, 2016
Visit site
I was just at a Verizon corporate store. They said they do not have any new Note 7s for exchange, and that if we exchange for a different device. That is it. No second exchange back to the Note 7. He recommends I hold out for a straight up exchange (Note 7 for Note 7) or return it for full refund. Problem is I don't have a backup device. Then I went to my local Best Buy and spoke to Jay (who is a great Samsung rep). He said Best Buy actually has new Note 7s in stock for exchange, but they can actually process exchanges until the Consumer Protection organization gives Samsung the okay. Damn. He said new devices arrived yesterday at Best Buy.
Best buy does not have new ones. They arent approved by the government yet.

But your verizon rep is very uninformed. You can exchange back.

buckifvr

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Best buy does not have new ones. They arent approved by the government yet.

But your verizon rep is very uninformed. You can exchange back.

The Consumer Protection organization is late to the party. I think its very likely Best Buy has the new Note 7s in stock but are now legally not permitted to make exchanges until they are given the okay.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The Consumer Protection organization is late to the party. I think its very likely Best Buy has the new Note 7s in stock but are now legally not permitted to make exchanges until they are given the okay.
Actual testing would take months. This is for show.

jgraves1107

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Look just throw a few hundred on the ground and plug em in to charge. If they go boom then start over. If not then good to go. Oh and I mean slam them to the ground!

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
To put together a qualified team and charge and discharge dozens of phones for some set number of cycles.
Well I hoping they will have some kind of press release early in the week to clarify this more since its such a big topic

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well I hoping they will have some kind of press release early in the week to clarify this more since its such a big topic
They'll always be somebody asking you when your phone is going to explode. I know I would never charge one in the lab now - even when fixed. They would crucify me if anything went wrong.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity what is really too hot for these batteries? I think the hottest I have ever seen mine get is around 98 degrees when Im playing on it. Of course using my son's N5 It gets within 3 degrees of my N7.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity what is really too hot for these batteries? I think the hottest I have ever seen mine get is around 98 degrees when Im playing on it. Of course using my son's N5 It gets within 3 degrees of my N7.
Li-ion and lipo batteries can run safely up to about 150°F (though you may see some capacity loss). If it's getting hotter than that, then something is wrong. Phones typically start throttling performance and charge rates at about 115-120°F in my experience.

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
So then I guess 98 degrees is perfectly normal LOL. I just wasnt sure how hot they should get during charge cycles and use cycles. I know between the N5 and N7 there are huge differences that will cause heat to be different. Weather it be speed of CPU, size of phone, screen size etc. But used his as a test since I do not have another N7.

bertsirkin

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
OK, here's the bottom line.

I spent almost 4 hours in the store.

3 different Verizon customer service reps (800 number) confirmed that we can do a double-switch - get another phone today and then swap it out for a new Note 7 when they are in stock. But, the store can't do it. The customer service reps confirmed that it's both Samsung's and Verizon's policy to do this.

So, I had the customer service rep email this policy. The first rep never sent the email, so I had to call back and finally got another rep to send me an email confirming I can do this. (in the meantime, nobody was answering the Verizon customer service line for over an hour! - thus the extended wait time at the Verizon corporate store).

With the email in hand, I had them swap out to an S7 (took forever to use SmartSwitch because they did it using WiFi instead of using a cable, as I had suggested). Since I had paid up front in-full for the Note 7, I have a $400+ credit coming back to me, which I'm sure I'll have to pay when I swap back to the Note 7. FWIW, I didn't bring in any accessories - just the phone.

The bottom line is that Verizon indicated that they WILL do the double-swap, but the local store can only do the initial swap. They also told me that "it doesn't matter what condition the Note 7 is in.

Edit: An email I just received...
View attachment 239053

FWIW, I'm getting real good at restoring all my apps and data to a new phone!

Last edited:

UNCMo96

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Initially I felt like Samsung deserved Kudos for jumping in and admitting the problem. However, I felt like they could have been better about the solution. A 2nd rate feature phone is not a solution. i.e. if you take your benz in for servicing and get a loaner they don't give you a kia as a loaner (no offense to anyone who drives a kia). They should give everyone s7s or s7es as loaners. I just called the verizon corporate line and they didn't have much idea about what was going on.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
My 70 year old dad said the heck with it... turned in his N7 and got a refund about an hour ago.... Verizon only took the phone and he kept everything else that was included in the box.....

byrds8

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Initially I felt like Samsung deserved Kudos for jumping in and admitting the problem. However, I felt like they could have been better about the solution. A 2nd rate feature phone is not a solution. i.e. if you take your benz in for servicing and get a loaner they don't give you a kia as a loaner (no offense to anyone who drives a kia). They should give everyone s7s or s7es as loaners. I just called the verizon corporate line and they didn't have much idea about what was going on.

That is because policy isnt getting sent down to the stores. Youre going to have to tell them to call customer service so they can look at the regulation Verizon has posted concerning all of this. Cant remember if its OSP or what but that is where it states they will do a double swap. The only issue is that the Corp Store told me that the system itself doesnt allow for it even he wasnt sure how Verizon was going to handle a second swap since their software wont let them do it.

Margot393

May 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Best Buy purchase?

I returned mine to Best Buy. They signed me up with Samsung for a new phone when it arrives.They let me keep the headphones and free gift. Also gave me a $50 Best Buy Gift Card.

WyDave

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
OK, here's the bottom line.

I spent almost 4 hours in the store.

3 different Verizon customer service reps (800 number) confirmed that we can do a double-switch - get another phone today and then swap it out for a new Note 7 when they are in stock. But, the store can't do it. The customer service reps confirmed that it's both Samsung's and Verizon's policy to do this.

So, I had the customer service rep email this policy. The first rep never sent the email, so I had to call back and finally got another rep to send me an email confirming I can do this. (in the meantime, nobody was answering the Verizon customer service line for over an hour! - thus the extended wait time at the Verizon corporate store).

With the email in hand, I had them swap out to an S7 (took forever to use SmartSwitch because they did it using WiFi instead of using a cable, as I had suggested). Since I had paid up front in-full for the Note 7, I have a $400+ credit coming back to me, which I'm sure I'll have to pay when I swap back to the Note 7. FWIW, I didn't bring in any accessories - just the phone.

The bottom line is that Verizon indicated that they WILL do the double-swap, but the local store can only do the initial swap. They also told me that "it doesn't matter what condition the Note 7 is in.

I did the same thing. Have a email of a chat, and screen shots of my sales reps tablet saying/showing that we can turn in our Note 7 now, exchange for another phone, then when New Note 7 arrives switch back, ALL FOR FREE. You also have to make sure you are going to a CORPORATE store, not retailers or authorized Verizon dealer, if you go to a CORPORATE store you can swap (I swapped to a S7 Edge) to about anything. If you don't go to a corporate store, that's where you get the POS loaner.

Also, if you purposely destroy your Note 7 now, or don't take "resonable" care of your "loaner" (S7 Edge for me), they CAN charge you for repair of the Note 7, or you may be stuck in the "loaner". Basic thing here is, don't be a d_-_-_ag and just take care of the equipment.

Posted from my Coral Blue Note 7, LOANER S7 Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.