Verizon Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pwscott

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Verizon randomly decided to give me a 1 month early upgrade on my phone without even telling me so now I can't wait for the phone to come back out.

Posted via the Android Central App

You should be able to wait as long as you want to use your upgrade.

lookingforwardfromhere

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
When my son and I left with our S7Edge devices the phones were working ,we walked across the parking lot for coffee and while there my son noticed his device had a pop up stating it needed to be activated. We went back to the store and it was because they took the sim cards from the Note7s and put them in the S7Edges. All they had to do was swap them with the Sims that came in the S7Edges and all was good. If you have them give it a try.
Well I bit the bullet and went with my wife to exchange her Note 7 at the corporate store. To their credit, they have usually treated us well, and they all were at least on the same page about allowing a double exchange for any phone in stock, including the S7 Edge. That was about the only up side...

I wasn't watching the actual exchange process, but was watching the kids while my wife went through it. All I know is they told her it was activated and ready to go. We went to run another errand and later noticed the S7 Edge wasn't activated and was stuck. By this time the store was closed, so going back wasn't an option. Long story short, I was escalated to Tier 2 support on the phone, where they determined the new SIM card they gave her had a cancelled status. Basically the equivalent of having a black listed IMEI from what I can gather, and she couldn't override it. So one of us gets to go back to the store tomorrow for a new SIM card.

I tried to swap it with the SIM in my Droid Mini backup because they're the same size, but even that's a no go because her line is currently in limbo. Going into our account, it currently shows no device is active on her line to change around.

So after all that work trying to figure out how the exchanges would be handled, I'm blindsided by something else unrelated. And I still have no written confirmation that the double exchange will be valid when the new Notes come in. DX

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
We went back to the store and it was because they took the sim cards from the Note7s and put them in the S7Edges. All they had to do was swap them with the Sims that came in the S7Edges and all was good. If you have them give it a try.

It sounds like your issue was opposite of mine if I'm reading this right. Either way it is a SIM card issue I'll hopefully get resolved today. I'm almost wondering if when the associate was closing out the account to move on to the next customer, she somehow accidentally told the the system to cancel the new S7 Edge SIM instead of the old Note 7 SIM. Will also see if they can double check the Note 7 (if it hasn't been shipped out already) to make sure it wss powered off. The Tier 2 rep said it shouldn't matter, but who knows at this point.

Angus66

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Let us know how it goes. You're lucky your Verizon store was helpful. My wife took hers back and the guy helping her tried to convince her to keep it since only such small percentage were catching fire... Can you believe it? I felt like saying something to the manager but didn't want to make a big deal out of it.

The manager at the Verizon store I purchased my Note 7 at tried to do the same thing. I didn't have a ton of patience when I went in so I ended up leaving with my N7.

Last edited:

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
It seems like the only time Verizon corporate employees are truly helpful is when you're buying a phone from them and they're getting a commission. Otherwise, you're just a nuisance and cutting into their time to to talk or chat with their friends. Obviously, I have had exceptions also.

jn3wman

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Still using my note with absolutely zero issues & no plans of turning in. I'm loving this phone. My condolences to everyone who is scared.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
It's not about being scared but more about being responsible. I had zero issues as well but I didn't wanna be "that guy". Someone will take my place.

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I went into my local verizon store earlier today to do the double exchange. I stopped by yesterday and asked them if they were doing them and they said no problem. To their credit, they did do the exchange to an s7e without much fuss but I heard from them more than a few times about how it's such a small percentage of phones that have caught fire. Said Samsung rushed the N7 to beat the iPhone to market and that's why there's problems. They definitely would have preferred me to just keep the phone and leave. Tried to tell me that it shouldn't be long at all til the fixed N7's are ready. I just told them to swap it because I've heard way too many conflicting things about when it will be ready.

I got the impression that they were really bitter with Samsung and that they have had a lot of people coming in doing phone swaps (15 a day they said) and are getting a little tired of doing them. They have no computer system setup for the double exchange so they have to use a workaround. I'm not on their side, they're the retailer and it comes with the territory. Just makes the consumer feel uncomfortable, I'm not looking forward to going back in there. Although it sounds like I had a relatively easy time with it compared to others on here.

Side note, I'm not liking the s7e at all after having the note, the screen seems small. I also asked them about the 25 dollar credit and they said it comes directly from Samsung and not them.

I tried to send in for the s7e promo Gear VR but I'm not sure if I'll get it, I had about 8 different receipts and the receipt with the phone purchase happens to not have my name on it.

At least I'm mostly confident that the store will honor what they said and I'll get the new N7 when it's ready.

WOW this is almost exactly word for word what I was told at the Canton , Ohio store.

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I also asked them about the 25 dollar credit and they said it comes directly from Samsung and not them.

I tried to send in for the s7e promo Gear VR but I'm not sure if I'll get it, I had about 8 different receipts and the receipt with the phone purchase happens to not have my name on it.

Not sure about the $25

As for me and the receipts , I just use the one from My Verizon Online Line receipt its under that and I simply send the PDF file your name and address is on that.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Not sure how credible this Verizon Employee was. Went to our locate corporate store in Phoenix to do the temporary phone swap. They were out of s7e phones, so I just said we'll wait for the replacements note 7s to come instead.

The employee told me that the replacement phones will be available Friday the 23rd. They were supposed to be available this Friday the 16th, but the iPhone launch is delaying that. He said that Verizon would be too swamped with new iPhones and Note 7 exchanges. He also said we will get a text from Verizon as soon as the fixed note 7s are available.

Who knows though...
If it is proven they are withholding fixed phones in the middle of a safety recall for profit motivation... That is a lot of risk.

JoBudden

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I don't think one thing should have anything to do with the other. it should be more of a priority to get the bad devices in. rather then sit on the good devices until a release date for another phone passes. Once they get past the initial fan boys their day will be pretty free. Besides most people like that preorder. no sense standing in line when you can have phones delivered to your home on release day.

More then likely they cant release them anyway. No cpsc approval yet. Most places already have the phones in stock. as reported by multiple people. But the thing that confuses me is. They are just now talking about identifiers for new devices via software. how are they going to do that if they have alreadty shipped new devices. unless its an update that would be downloaded when the phone is turned on.

lanenubia

May 21, 2010
Visit site
I spent 4 hours in a Verizon corporate store trying to get them to do the double-swap. The store refused, and a 800 customer service person couldn't convince the manager to do it, so they told me they'd do it by mail. I ended up swapping my N7 for an S7. Big mistake. I was thinking the S7 had a 5.5" screen, and after spending 4 hours in the store, just wanted to get out of there. The small S7 screen is really frustrating after multiple Note phones.

Now, I'm wondering if I can swap out the S7 for an S7 edge, being only a few days since I got the S7. I can't find anything on the Verizon site that indicates you can't do more than one 14-day exchange, but I can't imagine they'd let you continuously do that either!

Anyone know what Verizon's rules are on exchanges?
14 days but you may have to pay for a restocking fee

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think one thing should have anything to do with the other. it should be more of a priority to get the bad devices in. rather then sit on the good devices until a release date for another phone passes. Once they get past the initial fan boys their day will be pretty free. Besides most people like that preorder. no sense standing in line when you can have phones delivered to your home on release day.

More then likely they cant release them anyway. No cpsc approval yet. Most places already have the phones in stock. as reported by multiple people. But the thing that confuses me is. They are just now talking about identifiers for new devices via software. how are they going to do that if they have alreadty shipped new devices. unless its an update that would be downloaded when the phone is turned on.
I've seen updates fresh off the box. So that's possible. Their talking about green battery bar to distinguish the new and old. If this is the only thing they are worried about and talking about. That tells me that their pass the battery issue and just now figuring out how to distinguish them.

TheMiz

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I've seen updates fresh off the box. So that's possible. Their talking about green battery bar to distinguish the new and old. If this is the only thing they are worried about and talking about. That tells me that their pass the battery issue and just now figuring out how to distinguish them.

I thought the WSJ reported a time frame when the bad phones were built
I believe they were built before Aug 4th

noisemaker

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
According to CNET, "Samsung tells CNET the replacement phones are ready for you" but they are waiting for CPSC approval, for which there is no know timeframe other than "It seems reasonable to assume that the CPSC will quickly approve these solutions, instead of risking people holding onto potentially hazardous handsets."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatDude