AT&T Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
[WARN]UPDATE: The Samsung Galaxy Note7 has been officially recalled. Users who own a Note7 will be able to exchange their unit for another one.

Samsung announces global Galaxy Note 7 recall following battery explosions | Android Central
[/WARN]

[NOTE]Please use this thread for AT&T only. For an updated list of official statements from Samsung and carriers, plus what to do if you're affected, and links to the other carrier threads, please check the following link.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-note-7/719826-psa-note-7-recall.html[/NOTE]

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
ATT Purchase Through Target

I had an extended chat with ATT regarding the recall. At first they said I had to deal with Target but they later said that ATT will accept a return as well due to the situation. I explained extensively that what I want is an exchange. Their response was that any replacement would have to be handled through Samsung. ATT will accept a return or sell me a new device outside of the 14 day period but they are not doing exchanges. I have no idea if this is accurate information but that is what I was told after an extensive cross-exam by me.

To be honest, this really sucks. ATT has no other phone I want. There is no other phone on the market that I want. So, is the best plan to deal with Samsung? I'm virtually certain Samsung is going to tell me to contact my carrier, completing the runaround.

Infamousx14

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
Re: AT&T Note 7 Recall Thread

Basically, they are not giving us the option to keep our phones until replacement ones are send?

We are forced to either replace our contracts with another phone, or get a full refund? This is a big BS.

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: ATT Purchase Through Target

I had an extended chat with ATT regarding the recall. At first they said I had to deal with Target but they later said that ATT will accept a return as well due to the situation. I explained extensively that what I want is an exchange. Their response was that any replacement would have to be handled through Samsung. ATT will accept a return or sell me a new device outside of the 14 day period but they are not doing exchanges. I have no idea if this is accurate information but that is what I was told after an extensive cross-exam by me.

To be honest, this really sucks. ATT has no other phone I want. There is no other phone on the market that I want. So, is the best plan to deal with Samsung? I'm virtually certain Samsung is going to tell me to contact my carrier, completing the runaround.

don't worry - you'll be able to exchange for a new Note 7 - this is from the updated ATT press release: "Customers will be also able to exchange that interim device for a new Note 7 in the future. That process will be shared as soon as it is available." Meaning you could also get an interim device and then exchange for a new Note 7.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Right. That's what they told me. Again, I have zero confidence the rep had any clue. They told me to return it immediately and that I can pick a new phone. I said over and over I just want a replacement. The answer was to contact Samsung because ATT no longer sells the Note 7. I tried to call Samsung and was directed to an auto message to watch their website for updates.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site

Interesting because I asked about that and was told no. Complicating matters is I purchased from Target and no one seems to have any clue whether that affects the process or not. It was Target but using ATT Next.

canonuevo

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site

I'd say just wait a day or two before being frustrated. Lets see what ATT and Samsung have planned. I'm hoping to get some freebies out of this. I'd recommend turning off fast charge and use the provided cables only.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: AT&T Note 7 Recall Thread

Basically, they are not giving us the option to keep our phones until replacement ones are send? We are forced to either replace our contracts with another phone, or get a replacement? This is a big BS.

To add one point, it's not just replace. They were clear you could get a full refund as well.

abalboa3

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I just spoke to the AT&T rep that sold me the phone at the AT&T store, and someone on their Customer Service number. They pretty much said that I could go in and exchange it now for a S7, an S7 Edge or an S7 Active. I could also return all of the accessories that I purchased with it. They were both vague on wether I would then be allowed to return the S7 for a new Note 7 once they received a new batch.

The rep at the store said I could also wait until they received the new Note 7s and then just go in and exchange it for a new Note. The other thing was that neither the rep at the store or the one on the phone could tell me how long I have to take back my recalled Note 7. It would be great if their was a little more clarity, but I can't think of another recall of this size for mobile so I'm guessing this has caught all parties off guard and scrambling to figure out how to deal with it.

I think I'm going to give it a few days to a week and see what happens when the dust settles.

dakini03

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Well if you read the press release literally, it would apply to third part purchases since it says "ATT Customers with a Note 7".

I think you're right and that however it happens you'll be take care of. It's just that it just happened and they don't have procedures in place yet.

melonzzzzz

Aug 23, 2016
Visit site
Anyone know what the options are for AT&T phones bought from Samsung online?

Called Samsung and they have no clue and it seems the carrier reps are more well informed than Samsung CS.

Edit: Just read the posts above, hope I can deal with this through AT&T since there is a store only a mile away from me.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I just spoke to the AT&T rep that sold me the phone at the AT&T store, and someone on their Customer Service number. They pretty much said that I could go in and exchange it now for a S7, an S7 Edge or an S7 Active. I could also return all of the accessories that I purchased with it. They were both vague on wether I would then be allowed to return the S7 for a new Note 7 once they received a new batch.

The rep at the store said I could also wait until they received the new Note 7s and then just go in and exchange it for a new Note. The other thing was that neither the rep at the store or the one on the phone could tell me how long I have to take back my recalled Note 7. It would be great if their was a little more clarity, but I can't think of another recall of this size for mobile so I'm guessing this has caught all parties off guard and scrambling to figure out how to deal with it.

I think I'm going to give it a few days to a week and see what happens when the dust settles.

I think that's prudent. My only real concern was my initial 14 day return window ends today with Target but it doesn't seem like that is going to matter. My phone seems fine and I dig it. I sure don't want to downgrade. Seems like the best play will be to let this play itself out.

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Got mine at Target originally, but I would guess I deal with AT&T for this. I don't want another phone though so I'll just wait until they have the new ones. I hope at that time I can just walk into AT&T and walk out with my new device.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Im confident they will exchange the phone but my main concern is how we get put on a list to get the new ones as they come in. Is it going to be a situation where I have to constantly call all the stores to see if they have any or will At&t creat a signup page to be notified when they have one for me available.

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Yea I'm wondering the same thing. I don't want to have to keep checking it or risk missing a batch and waiting months or something.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site

The information I quoted is from the official press release: AT&T Statement on Exchanges for the Samsung Galaxy Note7 | AT&T

I'm not sure how third party exchanges will be handled/
Thats what I found earlier today too... I purchased from best buy, full price, and i asked them what their plans were for this situation, via Twitter, and they said were aware of the issue, but to keep checking their website for information/updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs