AT&T Note 7 Recall Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jephersun

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Definitely got a receipt. You think they'd loan you a phone and not make you accountable for it just in case? Mine was processed as an exchange with notes left in my account as being a loaner. I'm assuming when replacements come in, the process will be similar...

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I think, in my case, much of the confusion is in the term LOANER phone. AT&T isn't looking at is as a loaner phone. You are simply returning the Note 7 for full value, and then you can start over again with whatever you want... then when the note 7 comes back, you will be exempt from the return policy. Easy. I now own (via NEXT plan) a s7 edge... every penny I spent on my Note 7 was refunded.

It isn't a loaner phone from AT&Ts point of view. They don't care if I ever bring it back. I just pay my reduced next plan price, and that it. Now I personally think it is a temporay phone, and I am going to take AT&T up on their offer to return the device, and any accessories I got from them whenever the new Note 7 comes in. But it isn't a loaner phone. If they do it right it shouldnt be a loaner phone... it is a new device to you that is not a part of the traditional return policy, if you want a note 7 eventually.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Definitely got a receipt. You think they'd loan you a phone and not make you accountable for it just in case? Mine was processed as an exchange with notes left in my account as being a loaner. I'm assuming when replacements come in, the process will be similar...
Mine was done exactly the same. Notes left that Id be swapping to a note 7 when they come available and exempt from the return period. Also that my BOGO would still be honored.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
They just grabbed a new phone from their stock, activated it, and then gave it to you?
Not sure yet... Now going over the activity on the account and reviewing further.

May have to go back to ATT to get insight.

I see where they've started a payment - but on the main page it shows as no device charge (like the other phones for my family on my plan where there's a description of the device and the monthly installment).

On my line it just shows the charge and taxes for my service only.

jabloomf1230

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I think, in my case, much of the confusion is in the term LOANER phone. AT&T isn't looking at is as a loaner phone. You are simply returning the Note 7 for full value, and then you can start over again with whatever you want... then when the note 7 comes back, you will be exempt from the return policy. Easy. I now own (via NEXT plan) a s7 edge... every penny I spent on my Note 7 was refunded.

It isn't a loaner phone from AT&Ts point of view. They don't care if I ever bring it back. I just pay my reduced next plan price, and that it. Now I personally think it is a temporay phone, and I am going to take AT&T up on their offer to return the device, and any accessories I got from them whenever the new Note 7 comes in. But it isn't a loaner phone. If they do it right it shouldnt be a loaner phone... it is a new device to you that is not a part of the traditional return policy, if you want a note 7 eventually.
This is what I was told also when I returned my Note 7 to the AT&T store. There are no "loaner" phones.

chongwj

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
My store handled it as a simple return. I got a 100% refund of the Note 7 and the taxes, and now I am on a s7 edge. I am on a new next plan with my s7 edge. I can keep it (umm...NO!) or I can refund it and get a new Note 7... at any time once they come back out. I know its a loaner phone... but in reality it is not. AT&T is simply waiving the return policy on the old Note 7 and the s7 Edge.

The advantages....1, I get my $25 bill credit (not sure how the loaner people will get their credit) 2, I have a new device, and qualify for another $10 samsung pay credit, 3 I am the proud owner or a s7 edge, purchased between 9/8 and sometime... so I submitted for my Gear VR for free (the current s7 promotion). At some point I will switch back to the Note 7.

I would bet the Gear VR (or 256gb memory card) promotion is a backdoor way for those of us staying with Samsung to get rewarded. You can't tell me they didn't know those of us who recall switched to the s7 would qualify. ( Samsung Promotions )

What about the wireless plan? Are you an existing att owner? I signed up as new user, paid full price N7+wireless plan. On Saturday I returned the note7 and got full refund for phone but still need to pay the $55+ wireless plan. Now i think I made a mistake since i have to pay for the wireless plan again if I sign up with them again.... What should I do?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Some of y'all getting charged for your loaner phone while I'm somehow getting charged installment payments for a phone I no longer have and I didn't get a loaner phone. Att claims that my next bill I shouldn't be getting charged. We shall see.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I was able to talk US Cellular into letting me return my N7 and get an S7 Edge, with an extended return window of 3 months vs 15 days. It was after I called a corporate store and they refused to provide a loaner, "per Samsung's direction." So I called USC customer service direct.
<One hour and 20 minutes later>
Third supervising CSR at US Cellular agrees to my plan:
--Return N7 for refund and purchase (installments) S7 Edge
--Return period for S7 will be 3 months, so if/when they carry the N7 again (by Dec 10th--a "sunset clause") I will have the opportunity to go back to a N7.
--Any damage to the S7 will void the extended return period.

I think it's a fair compromise with them. My advice to dealing with customer service:
--Stay calm and reasonable. Be nice. It makes them way more likely to want to help you.
--Use CSM keywords (escalate, valued customer, stand behind your product and services for the consumer, etc.)
--Be flexible. They are bending their policies for you, you should be willing to meet in the middle with a mutually beneficial result.

Last edited:

Lobwedgephil

Trusted Member
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
That's the problem, they shouldn't have to be bending policies for you. This should all be on Samsung to make it as easy as possible for us, not At&t haven't to bend policies to make this work. I am waiting for a Note replacement so I don't have to deal with this, but I have stopped using my Note, no reason to take that chance anymore.

lizardchest

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
That's the problem, they shouldn't have to be bending policies for you. This should all be on Samsung to make it as easy as possible for us, not At&t haven't to bend policies to make this work.

I agree 100%. I don't put value into complaining about something that won't change the end result, though. Since Samsung didn't seem willing to ship me a loaner, I decided to go through other channels (my carrier) to find a solution.
For me personally, I have a satisfactory resolution. I understand that others may not care for the arrangement I made, and to each their own. I'd rather have an S7 Edge while waiting for my new N7 than go back to my S5.
I'm sure Sammy will lose some customers over this; they've handled the recall pretty poorly.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site

This is how mine was handled and my understanding, as well. The only difference is that I bought mine outright rather than on the NEXT plan.

BustA Groove

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE:. Within a few hours of filing the BBB complaint online,, my youngest received a call from AT&T Executive Support. The voicemail referenced receiving the BBB complaint. Since she was at work on duty, she was unable to take the call. She called back and got voicemail. She'll follow up this morning.

September 11:. My youngest has personally gone through her share of nonsense dealing with AT&T Customer Care and in-store personnel since September 1, 2016. She has filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and will be posting Yelp! reviews about the stores she had direct contact with about the level of customer service. She may also file a complaint with the Consumer Protection Agency about AT&T's customer service. On her last call to AT&T she was advised that she would be contacted by Advanced Customer Care in a few days.

So far, she is still walking around with her Note 7 that she bought on day 1 of launch.

Last edited:

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Samsung hands are tied by the consumer product safety people.
And Samsung sold the phones threw the carriers, regardless of where you got them at.
It's the carriers job to redo everything threw Samsung.
But until the consumer product safety people get out of the way.
Nobody is gonna get any new note 7 phones.
And you them I the cpsc is gonna get in a hurry.

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
It looks as though 1 person has still received the Samsung promo gift (256GB Micro SD / Gear Fit2). Has anyone else received their free promo gift from Samsung? I powered mine down and am using the SIM in an older phone and will exchange for the new Note 7 once it is released; however, I want to make sure that I will still receive the Gear Fit 2.

Thanks.

Infamousx14

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site

BustA Groove

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Taken directly from AT&T's website

My youngest has done what you mentioned each time she visited the store and was also told by AT&T customer care to do the same thing. They aren't making a genuine effort to resolve this in spite of the widespread media coverage about the safety hazard.

So, if those crook managers tell you otherwise, pull up this message and shove it in their face.

BustA Groove

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE from AT&T: Within a few hours after filing BBB complaint against AT&T, my daughter received a phone call from AT&T Executive Support. Waiting for callback.

UPDATE from BBB: Fast tracked the deadline for AT&T to respond to the complaint. *We are waiting for the business to respond. They have until September 26, 2016 to respond to this complaint."

Filled a consumer complaint against AT&T for level of customer service when requesting assistance with Note 7 exchange program:

Complaint ID#: ########
Business Name: AT&T Mobility

Thank you for contacting BBB. Your complaint was received by BBB on September 12, 2016 and has been assigned case# ######## in our files. Please make a note of this number for future reference.

Your complaint has been applied to the following business:
AT&T Mobility
3100 Avalon Ridge Pl Ste 500
Norcross, GA 30071-4710

The case has been reviewed and has now been forwarded to the business for their response. This business has until October 12, 2016 to respond to your complaint.

To check the status of your complaint, we encourage you to use our ONLINE COMPLAINT system. To view the details of your case please go to the following website address:

https://www.bbb.org/atlanta/complaintreply/c

Please use the following to log in:

Case ID: ########
Password: ########

Sincerely,

Kimberly Millwee
Manager Executive Accounts

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads