Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

andrewg13

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I've received all those emails and notifications listed above including text messages telling to shut my phone down. I'm now inclined to do so. I'd like to run to the nearby Best Buy this weekend to see if there are any new Note 7s in (AT&T) but I am traveling and I don't have the box and other things that came with it - just the phone. I am wondering if I can do a swap before I get back home next week. I would hate not being able to get on my return flight with my Note 7.... (though not sure how they would be able to detect them). Last week I gave them time to sort it out... It's a week later and despite the emails, there should be better info by now. Why does it have to be so convoluted!
I really doubt that any carrier or store can release them now without CPSC approval.

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
I think it's funny... in the AC Blog post about the CPSC getting involved, a number of people are commenting on how it's better that the CPSC is now getting involved to make the process faster and more direct, and now in here, there are people saying that now that the CPSC is involved, we're never going to get our Note7. I've never had a product recalled like this that has affected me in such a way that it was potentially costing me money, so I don't know how this could go if they were to get involved.

From the AC post, I understood it as, the CPSC is just trying to make sure the swap or refunds for the currently released devices happens quickly and properly here in the US.

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I got the email and text urging me to return my Note7 to an AT&T store for a replacement but I bought mine directly from Samsung USA. Would is still be able to bring it into an AT&T to exchange it or get a full refund because of the email and text?

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
So, how do I save all phone data to a pc? I don't want to waste time at BB moving data.

Smart Switch you can save your data to your sd card ( which I have done already) or save it to Samsung Cloud (Which I have done already too even though I have Verizon) Going to play the waiting game with my 2 Note 7's.

Babb19766

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Q: What if I don't want to exchange my Note7?

A: The Consumer Product Safety Commission and Samsung are urging owners to power down their Note7s. Our primary concern is your safety, and we want to help you exchange your Note7 for a new device and at the same time we can reserve a new Note7 for when they become available.

Guess going to head back to BB and see what they say since the above is from their web-site.

Kansatsusha

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Q: What if I don't want to exchange my Note7?

A: The Consumer Product Safety Commission and Samsung are urging owners to power down their Note7s. Our primary concern is your safety, and we want to help you exchange your Note7 for a new device and at the same time we can reserve a new Note7 for when they become available.

Guess going to head back to BB and see what they say since the above is from their web-site.
That only recently updated to their feed so if they gave you bs before they might still give you bs...

archer75

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I returned mine to best buy yesterday. They had no issue doing it themselves but for returns outside the 14 day return period they had to call AT&T and that became a problem. They couldn't do it. Or wouldn't do it. He argued with them but go nowhere. Then he had to call his rep who then gave him a different number to call and those AT&T people had no problem doing it. I was at the store for more than an hour but it all got done.

felloffthetruck

Trusted Member
Mar 31, 2013
Visit site
GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS!

The good news is that Best Buy are starting to get the replacement Note 7s in stock. When I called my local BB (in San Jose) they told me to come on down and do the swap. I went down right away as they only had 5 black in (no other colors)

The bad news is that after processing the return of my old N7, they were not able to issue me one of the new ones as none of the SEID numbers were in Verizon's system!!

After calling Verizon and other BB stores (I was told that other stores have started doing the swaps), they informed that not only could they not issue me a new phone until the numbers were in the system (later today or tomorrow), but as they had already processed the return on my old N7 they could not return that one to me!!

Long story short: they issued me a S7 loaner (with case) and put one of the new N7s on reserve for me. They said they would call me as soon as the number were in the system so I could come back in and return the loaner (no restocking fee) and pick up the new phone. All in all, the entire process took 90 minutes, but the staff (at one point there were 5 supervisors attempting to put the order through) were all very polite and helpful. [They told me they have ~100 returns they are going to have to process for that one store - so that is going to cost BB a significant amount of time in employee hours]

BTW: I looked at the replacement - the box, phone and contents are identical. The only way to tell is the that there is a small square sticker on the box. The phones look identical - which should pretty much kill the second hand market for these phones as you will not be tell if you are buying an original N7 or the replacement.

BB also wanted me to bring in everything - charger, headphones, etc so they could do a clean swap.

Were are the pictures of the new box ETC?

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I think it's funny... in the AC Blog post about the CPSC getting involved, a number of people are commenting on how it's better that the CPSC is now getting involved to make the process faster and more direct, and now in here, there are people saying that now that the CPSC is involved, we're never going to get our Note7.
I haven't read one post (granted I haven't read them all, nor do I plan to) about anyone thinking the CPSC is going to speed things up, and if people are posting things like that they have no clue what they are talking about. There is no way that a government organization (especially the CPSC - see their track record) is going to speed things along, nor make things more direct. They will prevent the releases from the places that already have the Note 7 replacements in stock. They have caused Samsung to revise their program to the point of providing people with loner phones (which many of the Verizon stores don't even carry). The CPSC's involvement is definitely going to delay things.

Kansatsusha

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Best Buy removed the option to exchange the Note 7 for another Note 7 when available. There site has only 2 options now. Option 1. Exchange for a Galaxy S7 or S7 edge. Option 2. Receive refund. They dropped option Galaxy Note7 Information - Best Buy
They dropped it because they want you to bring in the device now instead of later. They might still take it in when the device arrived and do an exchange/refund but there some store that might be a >.<... So if anything return it before the so call deadline otherwise some best buy give you hassle.

ld1005

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
They dropped it because they want you to bring in the device now instead of later. They might still take it in when the device arrived and do an exchange/refund but there some store that might be a >.<... So if anything return it before the so call deadline otherwise some best buy give you hassle.

Its more likely that Samasung is awaiting CPSC approval of the note 7 as a replacemet. Once they approve the new phone, than Best buy can offer that, for now, its not even an option anywhere.
Interesting to note though, samsung states "Until time of approval, select carrier and retail outlets will provide customers, who prefer a replacement Note7, with a Samsung J Series loaner phone to use until new Note7s are available."

Babb19766

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I went to best buy...they wouldn't provide another phone and allow me to get on the list for replacement as their website says they would do. So I was put on replacement list and still have my old note 7. They printed out receipt which says I will be called when new devices are in...so not really sure about anything anymore. I showed them best buy new policy and it just caused to much confusion. Basically if i took s7 then I cannot get on list for replacement because the computer will show I have a new device...basically best buy wants you to pick a new device or hold on to note 7 cause doing anything different would cause more work. Have a feeling I will have to go back in yet again when policy changes in store or catches up to corporate policy. Sure hope government allows new shipments to continue otherwise everyone with a note 7 is screwed.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Just walked out of a corporate At&t store.
They said 2-3 week's for a new phone.
He was giving me options.
Said I will not render my Note 7 unless you have another note 7.
He pulled his note 7 out of his pocket.
Said he's keeping his and using it till they have a replacement note 7.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Checked local BB today Saturday 10 Sep and no AT&T Note 7s are in stock to replace anyones but keep getting notifications to power down my current Note 7 and replace it immediately... Easier said than done. Just talked with a Samsung rep online live chat and they notified my carrier to replace my 7 with a loaner phone until the new 7s show up. Will see how that goes. My local AT&T store rep looked at me like I was a leper when I asked about the recall and replacing mine when I mentioned I'm a customer but bought it at BB. Guessing another week before they get any in stock if then to replace the hundreds sold here in my city. Will check back in here when I find out anything. Thinking its going to take a couple of weeks if then to replace it and luck first come first serve at BB.

Starting to wonder if my phone by chance did catch fire would they make me pay the insurance deductible $200 (AT&T insurance) to replace mine and how long would that even take to get a new one....Becoming a hassle now being in a holding pattern above the airport with no runway to land on...

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
So if best buy took the option of waiting for an exchange off their site I wonder what happens on 10/1 if new notes come in. Are the people with their original notes going to be told to call Samsung?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad