Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
When I went into our local best buy with my email to pre-order a replacement, the people in the mobile area had no idea what was going on and I had to show them posts from here on the forum getting pre-orders for new phones. They started looking in their systems and found a communication from corporate that spelled out the pre-order process as well as other details. None of them had seem this memo.

My nephew manages a couple of best buy stores (four hours from me). I told him about what had happened and he said that all the employees are supposed to keep up on the communications from corporate and their department supervisor is supposed to make sure they do or distribute the information to them. it is pretty clear, that is not happening consistently.

The funny thing is, I think it shows pretty clearly that it IS consistent. They're all doing what they were trained to do.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Assuming if all goes well and we get our new notes like next week, how would one prove to airlines that this is the safe Note? The only thing I can think of is keeping the box with you and receipt to show them. Thoughts? Anyway hoping best buy gives us all the good news soon.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Assuming if all goes well and we get our new notes like next week, how would one prove to airlines that this is the safe Note? The only thing I can think of is keeping the box with you and receipt to show them. Thoughts? Anyway hoping best buy gives us all the good news soon.

That I'm not sure about. I just don't have any faith in anyone at the airlines making a judgment call like that. I imagine they're going to be safe than sorry, which will mean a hassle for those of us with one. The good news is we probably won't have to deal with that because they won't have replacements out by then :)

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site

All it takes is a written statement from authorities stating that Samsung has went through the necessary steps to fulfill safety concerns.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
All it takes is a written statement from authorities stating that Samsung has went through the necessary steps to fulfill safety concerns.

In the long run I think CPSC involvement may be a good thing (provided they approve the replacements). Even though CPSC's involvement means it will take a little longer to get the replacements out, the imprimatur of the CPSC will stop the daily drip of someone new (FAA, NY MTA, airlines...) banning use of Note 7s. It will also give then a reason they need to drop any restrictions. Two months after CPSC approval, this will all be a distant memory. I think if Samsung did only the voluntary recall themselves, there would still be lingering questions.

toy4x

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Just wondering here..

What if Samsung pushed a notification embeded in the firmware in the new note 7. And only the note 7's that are safe get this notice.

Somehow you can press 2x on the power button (or however they could do it) and it comes up as.. Samsung Note 7 Safe Replacement device.

This way, any stewardess, mta, FAA, priest, whomever can be shown that it is a safe device. You press power 2x and up comes the notice to show the stewardess.

Thoughts?

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they'll ever be able to verify and eventually they're gonna just stop making those warnings on the flights. First of all - at the security check - this would destroy the TSA Pre-check system in the US by now having people take their phones out instead of leaving all electronics in the bags. I don't see how they'll ever implement a ban on the defective units. They may ban it, but they couldn't check for it. Once the recall has started and the replacements are out - I think it'll just be like any other recall and replacement/fix. When the item is replaced or fixed - life goes on. Just my opinion.

Bbarbie

Sep 15, 2016
Visit site
Agreed. I travel in October so if replacement comes before that, then I will know how this plays out or else my s6 edge will travel with me lol. I must say major lessons learned never doing a pre-order again :(

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't think they'll ever be able to verify and eventually they're gonna just stop making those warnings on the flights. First of all - at the security check - this would destroy the TSA Pre-check system in the US by now having people take their phones out instead of leaving all electronics in the bags. I don't see how they'll ever implement a ban on the defective units. They may ban it, but they couldn't check for it. Once the recall has started and the replacements are out - I think it'll just be like any other recall and replacement/fix. When the item is replaced or fixed - life goes on. Just my opinion.

If they can check every bag to make sure there aren't liquids, they can check every phone. They used to recommend getting to the airport 1 hour before your flight. It then turn to 2 hours, which then turned to 4 hours. They will just turn it to 4 days.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If they can check every bag to make sure there aren't liquids, they can check every phone. They used to recommend getting to the airport 1 hour before your flight. It then turn to 2 hours, which then turned to 4 hours. They will just turn it to 4 days.

Liquid containers show up easily on the xray - they don't go checking into each bag for them. There are a lot more smartphones in bags than there are liquid containers nowadays. Most people don't even bother with the 3 oz limit anymore and just check it. Further - liquids are allowed if checked - just not in carryon if greater than 3 oz. A Note 7 ban would ban it for both carryon and checked luggage. You really think TSA is going to do that? I personally don't.

Blacktagangel

Sep 12, 2016
Visit site
0.01 percent of phones are effected. Coming to the note 7 from a 6S Plus, im not going back. Turn off your fast charging, use oem Samsung cables and plugs and enjoy your phone. I understand the urgency for safety but I cant help but feel there's a bit of exaggeration. This is my only phone and I intend to keep it that way. With so many people having issues just returning the note 7, why would I want a loaner to cause even more confusion? Maybe I just dont care enough. Maybe i like the note 7 that much more than the 6S plus. Either way, im sticking with Samsung. BB will hook me up when the replacements are in stock. We will all forget about this in 6 months time.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Liquid containers show up easily on the xray - they don't go checking into each bag for them. There are a lot more smartphones in bags than there are liquid containers nowadays. Most people don't even bother with the 3 oz limit anymore and just check it. Further - liquids are allowed if checked - just not in carryon if greater than 3 oz. A Note 7 ban would ban it for both carryon and checked luggage. You really think TSA is going to do that? I personally don't.

It's TSA. You have more faith in them than I do.

Daunting1

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
My store had them locked up last Friday. If they don't approve the ones already shipped that would be a huge loss for Samsung. I have only heard about the battery issue. They said it was pressure on the plates separating the negative & positive.

homer813

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Based on the link below it seems the recall has yet to even begin which is just crazy!!!! Unless I am reading this wrong. It also adds samsung delayed in reaching out to the cspc. I wish it delayed it further so that we could have gotten our new notes before that.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.thev...amsung-fumbled-usage?client=ms-android-att-us

Honestly for me, I'm already waiting until the next generation of Notes. I love this one, but it's devalued too much in just a few days that it would take a huge gift to get me to use this one.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I travel in October so if replacement comes before that, then I will know how this plays out or else my s6 edge will travel with me lol. I must say major lessons learned never doing a pre-order again :(

Same boat here. Lots of flights starting in October. Must admit that if the V20 is available in the next few weeks with no resolution, I might exchange in spite of my Note 7 luv. Replaceable battery and better DAC's are starting to be appealing.

Also, initial reports are the radio signal reception of the V20 is the best of any device this year. That is also a good thing. The Note 7 has IMO one weak area and that is radio reception.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Honestly for me, I'm already waiting until the next generation of Notes. I love this one, but it's devalued too much in just a few days that it would take a huge gift to get me to use this one.

Have you already returned it? I enjoy the Note7 as well... but I already know that the resell value will be low.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie