Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I had it with BB this morning after calling them a few times yesterday and pointing them to their own website on what was detailed with respect to their documented return process.

They obviously did not want me to return the device and kept pointing me to either contact Samsung (which BTW I also called and they aren't sure of what to do yet either) - or told me I had to keep the device until they received a new batch (with no timetable)

Luckily (and I say this sparingly as I've had issues in the past) - ATT actually stepped up to the plate and did the ONLY RIGHT thing to do. They gave *me* choices.

- Return it for full refund

- Return it - and buy a different device (any I chose)

- Return it - and they would loan me a galaxy s7 or s7e - and when the note 7 came back in stock - I could swap the loaner for the new note 7.. (this last option is what surprised me the most - especially considering I bought the device at BB)

Even though I bought the phone at BB - ATT allowed me to return the device because they viewed it unsafe for me (or any of their customers) to keep it and it was also unacceptable that I would not have a phone to use while waiting for the new one to be shipped and delivered.

To my knowledge no *other* retailer got it on how this most basic concept of ensuring the safety and minimizing the impact of their core service were both vital to their customers. While most went through the ropes to allow the customer to return their affected devices - only ATT looked *beyond* the initial return process.

It's because of this vision and forethought on behalf of their customers that i will continue my service with ATT (they've earned it IMHO) - and will certainly never buy another phone from BB ever again.

Aside from all of this - using the s7e for a short period of time only validates that I want the Note7 back sooner. The s7e is a great device in its own right but the Note7 is hands down much nicer overall.

Also - fyi - the manager at my local ATT corporate store noted that they had a customer bring in her exploded Note7 a day earlier. My phone also exhibited battery issues (lost all power at 80% charge, and also lost power quicker if I didn't charge from a wall socket directly)

If you're thinking something isn't wrong with your phone... think again and do yourself a favor and just get it exchanged.

Good luck to everyone trying to return...

mikechaudron

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Returned my Note 7 to BB today. Young lady at the Mobile area tried to talk me out of it, saying it was only 35 phones worldwide and all of her friends were hanging on to theirs until they could swap it. I told her if Samsung, the manufacturer, thought it should be replaced, then I would take their advice.

Process was pretty painless, swapped it for an S7 Edge, which seems very similar.

Thanks to the crew at Android Central making this easy.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Returned my Note 7 to BB today. Young lady at the Mobile area tried to talk me out of it, saying it was only 35 phones worldwide and all of her friends were hanging on to theirs until they could swap it. I told her if Samsung, the manufacturer, thought it should be replaced, then I would take their advice.

Process was pretty painless, swapped it for an S7 Edge, which seems very similar.

Thanks to the crew at Android Central making this easy.
It's your choice, but I agree with young lady in the mobile area. I had an S7 edge before and the Note 7 is a much nicer, more refined phone. I can't see why you trade instead of waiting a couple weeks for a replacement.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
It's your choice, but I agree with young lady in the mobile area. I had an S7 edge before and the Note 7 is a much nicer, more refined phone. I can't see why you trade instead of waiting a couple weeks for a replacement.
Agreed!

I know I plan on waiting it out.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
course AT&T's gonna bend over backwards they're making money of your cell phone bill best buy isn't

Good point. That's why the carriers should be handling all the returns, exchanges, and loaners on this fiasco. We should not have to deal with the retailers at all, especially since they obviously are either mostly incompetent (can't even follow their own posted policy) or not motivated to make it right for the end user who through no fault of their own is potentially exposed to a significant safety issue, regardless.

And folks PLEASE just stop throwing around the meaningless 35 in 2 million chance of fire or the variations of that figure - it is INCOMPLETE, UNVERIFIED DATA just because only 24 defects have been verified of 35 suspect phones (actually pretty bad), Samsung obviously doesn't know the extent of the issue worldwide, hence the recall and reset of ALL their production lines (except supposedly China). And the problem may continue to crop up in the existing production batch for some time to come. Also risk from an engineering perspective is not just probability of occurrence but also considers consequence, even with a small probability of occurrence, if the consequence is high (e.g., explosions and fire) then the net risk to the end user can be high too, hence the recall. Samsung knows this and is scrambling.

Last edited:

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Yall just need to calm down...
Yall need to pull your head out of the sand. This is no joke.

Samsung realizes just how serious this is. They just unfortunately little sway over how all the other players (carriers and retailers) react to it and the result is not pretty.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
No what people have to do is stand their ground and have all the facts to give to a store manager. It is a federal violation if any store refuses to return the device u der the stipulations set forth. You have to be ready to back them down with the information regarding CPSC regulations and federal policies.
Yes, facts are good. But only if they're true.

Right now (2016-09-04 1104UTC) there is no CPSC recall, hence no "federal violation".
https://9to5google.com/2016/09/03/consumer-reports-note-7-recall/

Kansatsusha

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
While I used to work for best buy in the past here my input. Best Buy Mobile is technically is a store within a store so they follow a few policies differently... and depending on a few employees ... they are ***** sometimes... "dont add the restocking if the the system dont.... you dont get commission anyway so why care...." but other than that some best buy store I could understand the first day about the recall but second and so on they should have email or news notifications about the recall to every employees if they bother to even read it -_-" "lazy workers that only do the minimum".

The only reason I can see why they dont offer the loaner phone is ether they didnt have enough designated for these issues... or didnt want to deal with the fact they have to force to "open box" or try to force samsung to take all the loaner phones that was giving to the customers because it could no long be sold anymore. So they only offer the simple result and exchanges on their website...

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Yes, facts are good. But only if they're true.

Right now (2016-09-04 1104UTC) there is no CPSC recall, hence no "federal violation".
https://9to5google.com/2016/09/03/consumer-reports-note-7-recall/

Even under voluntary recalls the CPSC has set forth guideline proposals of how businesses are to handle them. Now maybe its not a true violation as far as a government involved recall but it is still a against CPSC proposals.

Voluntary Remedial Actions and Guidelines for Voluntary Recall Notices, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking | CPSC.gov

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Att store cant replace a phone purchased at Bestbuy. I had great help at ATT store, they were fantastic and a pleasure to deal with but their system knows the phone is from elsewhere and won't allow exchange.

We have 2 from the BB BOGO deal, one has a small crack near vokume rocker (heat) and best buy won't touch it. Really? Samsung says it don't matter what condition it is in so why should BB care, its going back to Samsung anyways (OR IS IT REALY GOING BACK?). If you guys can I would return the BB purchases and run to ATT store. BB is horrible customer service and handle this event like rookies. The only reason I purchased from best buy on the 21st is
they had 2 coral blue local., big mistake on my part over a dang color.

Hopefully the cracked phone don't catch fire after best buy refused to take a recalled defective phone

I got a S7 Edge from Best Buy.

A few months later I was having a problem with it.
I called At&T tech support on the phone.
They went threw a few things with me.
Said we are sending you another S7Edge.
You have time to transfer everything from your old phone to your new phone.
Put the OLd phone in the box with the label and send it back to us.
Might be a good idea to put some insurance on the old phone.
When we get the old phone back, We will credit your account

So what you said is if you buy a At&t phone at Best Buy , A At&t can't help you with the phone.
That is incorrect.
It was a At&t phone and they will help you.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Even under voluntary recalls the CPSC has set forth guideline proposals of how businesses are to handle them. Now maybe its not a true violation as far as a government involved recall but it is still a against CPSC proposals.

Voluntary Remedial Actions and Guidelines for Voluntary Recall Notices, Notice of Proposed Rulemaking | CPSC.gov

Would you think a Company in Korea will read this that the United States Government put out.
The U.S. government has put out stuff like this forever.
And I have never read it. Nor will I ever read it.

Maybe the only person that would will be an attorney.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
Would you think a Company in Korea will read this that the United States Government put out.
The U.S. government has put out stuff like this forever.
And I have never read it. Nor will I ever read it.

Maybe the only person that would will be an attorney.

It appears that because they didnt read it, thats why we are in the mess to begin with. They allowed each retailer to create their own variation of guidlines when it comes to handling the recall and its allowed choas and confusion. The consumer is the one who gets to deal with the disaster now because places like best buy are using their own interpretation of how a recall should be handled and what they are going to do to assist customers, its worse than necessary.

The first place that is to blame is Samsung for not handling the recall directly. It would have been much easier but they passed the buck. Then the retailers decided to make up their own rules to take as little financial responsibility as possible. Even individual stores arent following their own corporate policies at this point. The only people dealing with the disaster though is consumers. If the Stores dont get on board and do what needs to be done this will turn into a government backed recall and the exchanges will come to a halt. It will take forever to get a replacement.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
It appears that because they didnt read it, thats why we are in the mess to begin with. They allowed each retailer to create their own variation of guidlines when it comes to handling the recall and its allowed choas and confusion. The consumer is the one who gets to deal with the disaster now because places like best buy are using their own interpretation of how a recall should be handled and what they are going to do to assist customers, its worse than necessary.

The first place that is to blame is Samsung for not handling the recall directly. It would have been much easier but they passed the buck. Then the retailers decided to make up their own rules to take as little financial responsibility as possible. Even individual stores arent following their own corporate policies at this point. The only people dealing with the disaster though is consumers. If the Stores dont get on board and do what needs to be done this will turn into a government backed recall and the exchanges will come to a halt. It will take forever to get a replacement.

These same problems if you keep up with the news, Has happened on Airplanes and all.
The problem is the lithium batteries and how they operate.
They are great batteries. But then can be dangerous.
You are gonna see more battery problems in the future till they understand more about Lithium batteries.

Click on this link

Forbes Welcome

Samsung has made a Statement that they will replace any phone.
It just seem that its not in everybody timeline.
https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
These same problems if you keep up with the news, Has happened on Airplanes and all.
The problem is the lithium batteries and how they operate.
They are great batteries. But then can be dangerous.
You are gonna see more battery problems in the future till they understand more about Lithium batteries.

Forbes Welcome

Samsung has made a Statement that they will replace any phone.
It just seem that its not in everybody timeline.
https://news.samsung.com/global/statement-on-galaxy-note7
Agreed. Whats really absurd is samsungs own site says they will do the replacement but when you call in to have it done they turn you to the carrier and retailers. Even they arent following their own policy. Its a $#@% show if you ask me

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1