Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Some BB stores (at least in my area) still thru today are not following their stated and publicized policy on their own site. This is unacceptable - period.

I get why they don't want to provide loaners (they are a middle man and have limited stock, etc) - nor are they required to... but when they pass the buck either to Samsung, or other retailer, or even worse, won't allow a full refund and return of the device when their own site states they will - it speaks volumes on how they treat their customers.

This boils to basic customer service and consistency - and how, in a time of need and impact to their customers - what does a company do to address the issue.

Some are OK with the way BB handled this - I'm not. When I go to another retailer and they take back a device, no questions asked, that I bought at BB where they won't take it back - it's absurd.

Ive learned my lesson - BB has effectively communicated quite well how they view my relationship to their company - and apparently im not alone. Quite simply I will not be buying my phones from BB ever again.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Best buy was great for me. They explained my options to me clearly. They told me I could either do this exchange through them or Samsung or AT&T ultimately opted to return my device which was cool because I returned it and actually got to keep the Gear Fit 2. So in other words I got a free Gear Fit 2 and got to use a pretty sweet phone for a couple of weeks for free. I also received a $25 AT&T bill credit I guess I don't know what everyone else has gripe is about. I guess don't expect the moon and the stars and you won't be disappointed I don't know

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Some BB stores (at least in my area) still thru today are not following their stated and publicized policy on their own site. This is unacceptable - period.

I get why they don't want to provide loaners (they are a middle man and have limited stock, etc) - nor are they required to... but when they pass the buck either to Samsung, or other retailer, or even worse, won't allow a full refund and return of the device when their own site states they will - it speaks volumes on how they treat their customers.

This boils to basic customer service and consistency - and how, in a time of need and impact to their customers - what does a company do to address the issue.

Some are OK with the way BB handled this - I'm not. When I go to another retailer and they take back a device, no questions asked, that I bought at BB where they won't take it back - it's absurd.

Ive learned my lesson - BB has effectively communicated quite well how they view my relationship to their company - and apparently im not alone. Quite simply I will not be buying my phones from BB ever again.
So you're saying they didn't let you return your Note 7?

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Best buy was great for me. They explained my options to me clearly. They told me I could either do this exchange through them or Samsung or AT&T ultimately opted to return my device which was cool because I returned it and actually got to keep the Gear Fit 2. So in other words I got a free Gear Fit 2 and got to use a pretty sweet phone for a couple of weeks for free. I also received a $25 AT&T bill credit I guess I don't know what everyone else has gripe is about. I guess don't expect the moon and the stars and you won't be disappointed I don't know
Yep - if you read my responses earlier- my local BB told me to go to Samsung, or wait for a new device, no option to return it even though their site stated otherwise (even pointed them to their own site and they stated point blank back to my face that they weren't able to return the device- and - to add to this I was still in the 14 day return window)

ATT returned it no questions asked ... and they were quite surprised that BB wasn't taking it back due to the potential harm to the customer.

As a side note - Looks like reports are trickling in on exploding / burnt devices in the states now... if you still have one of these - please for your own safety (and did your family) - Return the device or - at a minimum- stop using it until you can get a replacement:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/09/04/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-phone-explodes-winthrop/

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
So you're saying they didn't let you return your Note 7?
Yes - after numerous discussions all the way up to the store manager - even showing them their own site stating that they'd take a return.

They told me they were instructed specifically to direct all returns to Samsung. Samsung (when I called them) said that BB had been instructed to accept all returns (and they pointed me to the BB website exchange details)

During all of this I received a text from ATT directing me to return the device to my local corporate store. I called them to confirm if I could return it even though I had purchased from BB - ATT was very direct in their response that they wanted me to stop using the device immediately and that they would return and give me a loaner in the interim.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes - after numerous discussions all the way up to the store manager - even showing them their own site stating that they'd take a return.

They told me they were instructed specifically to direct all returns to Samsung. Samsung (when I called them) said that BB had been instructed to accept all returns (and they pointed me to the BB website exchange details)

During all of this I received a text from ATT directing me to return the device to my local corporate store. I called them to confirm if I could return it even though I had purchased from BB - ATT was very direct in their response that they wanted me to stop using the device immediately and that they would return and give me a loaner in the interim.
Wow that's crazy.

Well that goes in line with what I said. In that, that is part that's confusing. Because even on their site, it states you can exchange your current Note 7 for a new Note 7 when stock is available. My relative also confirmed this. However he said that they were told not to tell the customer when the Note 7 devices will be in.

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

Anyone know if Sprint is doing this for BB purchased phones? I received the Sprint text message saying turn it in (does not differentiate between carrier store purchased or retailer purchased) including the message on their website. I am trying to contact sprint but they are slammed.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know if Sprint is doing this for BB purchased phones? I received the Sprint text message saying turn it in (does not differentiate between carrier store purchased or retailer purchased) including the message on their website. I am trying to contact sprint but they are slammed.
Per AC they're allowing you to return a day select another phone but it's unclear if you can then swap out again and get an N7 once they are available.

I'd call them directly and ask... point to what ATT is doing for returns as well if necessary.

Considering the fact that this is a potential hazardous device to their customers I'd imagine Sprint would also take it back at this point.

http://m.androidcentral.com/how-return-your-galaxy-note-7-verizon-att-t-mobile-or-sprint

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Yep - if you read my responses earlier- my local BB told me to go to Samsung, or wait for a new device, no option to return it even though their site stated otherwise (even pointed them to their own site and they stated point blank back to my face that they weren't able to return the device- and - to add to this I was still in the 14 day return window)

ATT returned it no questions asked ... and they were quite surprised that BB wasn't taking it back due to the potential harm to the customer.

As a side note - Looks like reports are trickling in on exploding / burnt devices in the states now... if you still have one of these - please for your own safety (and did your family) - Return the device or - at a minimum- stop using it until you can get a replacement:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/09/04/samsung-galaxy-note-7-recall-phone-explodes-winthrop/
That phone in the pic is not a Note 7 is it? Looks like an Active

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Sounds like some of y'all out to open your own business and work with distributors.
I'm afraid when you get stuck with losing money, you just might change your tune a little.
I owned my own business for 19 yrs.
I found out to find each distributors protocol. And exactly how they wanted things done.

If Samsung didn't set everything up for Best Buys to get new replacement phones.
I don't think they will be giving our new phones.
It's to my understanding.
Samsung is going to work directly with the phone carriers at the present time.

This came yesterday from At&t. Even though i bought my phone at Best Buy.

AT&T Free Msg: Samsung has announced that current Galaxy Note7 devices may have a potential battery issue and are investigating the issue for potential safety concerns. Please return your device and any Note7 accessories for an exchange as soon as possible. You can get more details at https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...l%23%21%2Fwireless%2FKM1122948&token=veK4Rn9F

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It's definitely an Active (and in the video in the link it shows a green third-party charging cable). The comments on the article in the link are calling the station out on bad reporting so hopefully they will retract the story. The inaccurate reporting is bad for those who are getting all worked up about this.

Last edited:

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
So....we received tests from Sprint this morning (probably like everyone else) stating we should bring our phones back to Sprint Corporate stores. I both called and chatted and explained that we got them at BB and they said they wanted us to bring them back right away as they presented a safety hazard and that they would handle any Sprint customers even if they purchased at Best Buy. Still claim new phones by the end of the week.....I think we will wait until then.

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
It definitely an Active (and in the video in the link it shows a green third-party charging cable). The comments on video in the link are calling the station out on bad reporting so hopefully they will retract the story. The inaccurate reporting is bad for those who are getting all worked up about this.

Active in picture but if you watch the news video intervieving the paramedic ts most definely shows the charred note 7. Picture must be a stock photo the news borrowed elsewhere

denny1517

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Not 100% true on the loaner phones issue. About couple years ago if you had insurance through BB they offered loaner phones with a $50 deductible that was refundable upon completion of repaired device or replaced device. So they did offer loaner phones with refundable $50 deductible IF you had insurance. Not sure if policies changed or not but if you have insurance and need a loaner it might be worth a check. As for me....ill hold my note 7 until replacements available, if it blows up then great I'll replace it lol. At least Samsung is offering up replacement solutions....apple has tons of faults and well they try not to say it's a problem...remember the antennagate issue! Blame it on the user how they held it, then offer a 10 cent bumber, and well then they fixed software update to hide the issue so bars don't drop as fast. 6 plus phones have touch of death issues right now, out of warranty then too bad.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Active in picture but if you watch the news video intervieving the paramedic ts most definely shows the charred note 7. Picture must be a stock photo the news borrowed elsewhere

No, you have it backwards. There is more than one phone in the video. One is one from the Massachusetts fire. That is clearly labeled as being from the Action Ambulance Service. That one is an Active. There also other phones in the video where they discuss the broader issue of the recall. They show several new Note 7s from Samsung's launch event. Then they show a burned Note 7. The burned Note 7 is clearly labeled as from YouTube/Ariel Gonzalez. That was posted to YouTube several days earlier.

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I went to BB today to return the Note 7 I'd bought there on Aug. 19, to exchange it for a temporary new S7 Edge. BB initially balked at doing a temporary exchange, but I brought with me a printout of my online chat this morning with AT&T, wherein AT&T assured me that BB had to honor AT&T's interim-replacement policy for the recall. So BB spoke to AT&T and then agreed.

But then it turned out, after I factory-reset my Note 7 and gave it to BB, that to get the interim S7 Edge, I had to go to a corporate AT&T store instead of getting it from BB. Fortunately, both stores were in the same mall. So it was a bit time-consuming, but worked out in the end. Now I just have to return to the AT&T store when the nonexplosive Note 7s arrive.