Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

papashex

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Not only has Best Buy deleted option 3 (full refund) from the website, they have also deleted my fresh post about stores stonewalling full refunds in the forums.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Obviously BB is not aligning with Samsung's "voluntary" recall....

Surprised a bit that they're now changing their site as well... I wonder if the news media might pickup on the fact that BB isn't allowing customers to return an arguably hazardous device.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Surprised a bit that they're now changing their site as well... I wonder if the news media might pickup on the fact that BB isn't allowing customers to return an arguably hazardous device.
If BB isn't cooperating, you guys need to notify Samsung. There are contracts in place when you sell a product like that. Samsung would interested in knowing if BB isn't cooperating and can fix that real quick.

whtchdr

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Not only has Best Buy deleted option 3 (full refund) from the website, they have also deleted my fresh post about stores stonewalling full refunds in the forums.

Option 3 for a full refund is still listed on Bestbuy.com. Just pulled it up 15 minutes ago.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site

You don't understand how recalls work. When there is a vehicle recall, do they just let people return their cars for a refund? Um, no they don't.

The manufacturer has told you the risk, it is up to you to stop using the device. If you don't have a backup device, well that is a choice you made and a foolish one at that. Stop using the Note7. Exchange it when the fixed Note7's are available.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
The manufacturer has told you the risk, it is up to you to stop using the device. If you don't have a backup device, well that is a choice you made and a foolish one at that. Stop using the Note7. Exchange it when the fixed Note7's are available.

Using the Note7 as I type this message and I'm aware of the risk. I'm sure there are others who are in the same position that I am and they are aware of the risk as well. I don't plan on stop using the Note7.

Granted, I now use caution when I charge it... Only use OEM chargers and will not use Fast Charging. But as soon as new Note7 arrive I'll gladly exchange it.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Best buy tends to be sticklers for original packaging and accessories. They will most likely require everything including the box.
I think in this particular situation it will be different... They have extended the 14 day return period. Although I still have all the accessories including that ugly AT&T box... I tend to think Best Buy will be more relaxed in their policies.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
I think in this particular situation it will be different... They have extended the 14 day return period. Although I still have all the accessories including that ugly AT&T box... I tend to think Best Buy will be more relaxed in their policies.
They also declined returns while their corporate policy was to accept them. It all depends on what store you get and what policy theyve created on their own.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
You don't understand how recalls work. When there is a vehicle recall, do they just let people return their cars for a refund? Um, no they don't.

I think u missed the point of my post...

I'm fully aware of how recalls work.

Samsung outlined clearly a plan to allow their customers options and choices to return the device.

Even down to the individual store - BB appears to have opted not to follow this plan. They rightfully can because this is a "voluntary" recall.

If this were a government mandated recall - BB wouldn't have a choice in the matter. To use your analogy - the dealership (BB) would absolutely be required to accept the car (note7) and work with their respective manufacturer (Samsung) to either fix the hazardous issue (battery blowing up) or potentially offer a refund.

I know this because I've just gone thru returning a vehicle with a hazardous issue. End result? The manufacturer accepted the vehicle and refunded me all monies paid. I didn't have to perform an exchange - but I elected to purchase another vehicle from the manufacturer because they treated me fairly and with respect to resolve the issue impacting me (their customer).

Since this is a device that can't be fixed by simply removing the defective part and replacing it - the only options are to refund or exchange...

Those that are wanting to simply return for a refund are being denied this option by BB - at times even violating their own publicly stated return policy (in my case I was within the 14 day return policy and was told they would not accept the return).

The carriers are all accepting returns and most are even proactively contacting the customer to communicate they should not be using the device at all and instructing them to return it immediately ....

By comparison - BB is simply standing back and washing their hands of the mess - by electing to not allow returns at the potential risk of injury at the hands of their customers.

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
They also declined returns while their corporate policy was to accept them. It all depends on what store you get and what policy theyve created on their own.
I've seen a few users comment their frustration... I know when the time comes I'll be prepared to go to at least three stores to successfully get everything straightened out.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I think u missed the point of my post...

By comparison - BB is simply standing back and washing their hands of the mess - by electing to not allow returns at the potential risk of injury at the hands of their customers.
I did not miss the point of your post. Samsung initially said you could get a refund outside of the 14 day return period. They have backed off on that and are now saying you can only exchange. BB is following Samsung's lead.

They do NOT have to let you return the phone for a refund outside of the 14 day return period. They can offer you an exchange instead and that is what it is looking like your option will be. However, the fixed Note7's are not yet in the stores.

Stop using the Note7 if you are worried about it. You will be able to exchange it soon enough. Problem solved.

Verizon is offering a refund through 9/30/16 if you bought through them.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Using the Note7 as I type this message and I'm aware of the risk. I'm sure there are others who are in the same position that I am and they are aware of the risk as well. I don't plan on stop using the Note7.

Granted, I now use caution when I charge it... Only use OEM chargers and will not use Fast Charging. But as soon as new Note7 arrive I'll gladly exchange it.

Yes, everyone is free to made their own choice and I agree it is a perfectly reasonable risk to take to continue using until the new one arrives. I know I will continue to use mine, but will also exchange it as soon as possible. Given the small number of cases reported (and none in U.S.), I don't agree with the previous poster that it is a foolish choice, but that is her choice.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I did not miss the point of your post. Samsung initially said you could get a refund outside of the 14 day return period. They have backed off on that and are now saying you can only exchange. BB is following Samsung's lead.

They do NOT have to let you return the phone for a refund outside of the 14 day return period. They can offer you an exchange instead and that is what it is looking like your option will be. However, the fixed Note7's are not yet in the stores.

Stop using the Note7 if you are worried about it. You will be able to exchange it soon enough. Problem solved.

Verizon is offering a refund through 9/30/16 if you bought through them.
Read my post again please... I attempted to return my device within the 14 day return period and was effectively told by BB to deal directly with Samsung. I have an older device that I could have used until the new n7s were available.

If you'll read my earlier posts on this thread you'll also note that I have successfully returned my device via ATT instead - and am waiting patiently for a new Note7 from ATT. I won't use BB ever again for purchasing a wireless phone due to their poor customer service and inconsistent adherence to even their own stated policies.

I get your point with respect to being outside of the 14 day window - however - even then - communication has changed over the past few days. BB chose their own route - whether it be right or wrong in how returns and refunds were handled for their customers.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I attempted to return my device within the 14 day return period
BB accepts returns for refund w/in the 14 day return period no matter what device you bought as long as it is not a physically damaged device (e.g., cracked screen, etc.). You simply have to pay a $35 restocking fee. No way do I believe that BB refused a return w/in the 14 day return period unless you physically damaged your device.

You COULD have returned for a refund. You would have had to pay the $35 restocking fee though and could have fought that later.

TylerLV76

Jun 30, 2016
Visit site
BB accepts returns for refund w/in the 14 day return period no matter what device you bought as long as it is not a physically damaged device (e.g., cracked screen, etc.). You simply have to pay a $35 restocking fee. No way do I believe that BB refused a return w/in the 14 day return period unless you physically damaged your device.

You COULD have returned for a refund. You would have had to pay the $35 restocking fee though and could have fought that later.
Best buy does not have a restocking fee since 2011 on anything besides special order items. And yes, some stores were declining returns because the item sku was removed from the RSS system and they couldnt figure out how to return the item in their systems.

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site

Sorry - not sure what else to say but believe it - BB refused my return.

I've been purchasing items from BB for years and never had a problem returning an item until now.

I actually had brought it in the night before the recall broke to exchange it (surprise - the battery wasn't holding a charge correctly and lost all power) and they didn't have any available. They expected more in the next day or two. The next day I was on day 12/13 when the recall news broke and I decided to simply try to get it returned at that time (when Samsung noted a return/refund would be allowed on all devices).

Once the news broke BB changed their story and told me to hold onto the device until the new notes were in stock - even after I asked numerous times up to the store management level to return the device since I was in 14 days (as well as Samsung was instructing their retailers to return the devices for a refund). No dice.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae