Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

kiwiguy99

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS!

The good news is that Best Buy are starting to get the replacement Note 7s in stock. When I called my local BB (in San Jose) they told me to come on down and do the swap. I went down right away as they only had 5 black in (no other colors)

The bad news is that after processing the return of my old N7, they were not able to issue me one of the new ones as none of the SEID numbers were in Verizon's system!!

After calling Verizon and other BB stores (I was told that other stores have started doing the swaps), they informed that not only could they not issue me a new phone until the numbers were in the system (later today or tomorrow), but as they had already processed the return on my old N7 they could not return that one to me!!

Long story short: they issued me a S7 loaner (with case) and put one of the new N7s on reserve for me. They said they would call me as soon as the number were in the system so I could come back in and return the loaner (no restocking fee) and pick up the new phone. All in all, the entire process took 90 minutes, but the staff (at one point there were 5 supervisors attempting to put the order through) were all very polite and helpful. [They told me they have ~100 returns they are going to have to process for that one store - so that is going to cost BB a significant amount of time in employee hours]

BTW: I looked at the replacement - the box, phone and contents are identical. The only way to tell is the that there is a small square sticker on the box. The phones look identical - which should pretty much kill the second hand market for these phones as you will not be tell if you are buying an original N7 or the replacement.

BB also wanted me to bring in everything - charger, headphones, etc so they could do a clean swap.

Last edited:

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I went to my Best Buy and still don't know anything. I spoke to the store manager and asked and didn't find anymore out. Asked if they will call me when the phones come in and didn't know. Took my Name and Number and said will call when they come in ( I don't believe that) Oh well will keep going to store and checking I guess. I want this over with. We are still using our Notes the same way as always.

Here it is again.

BEST BUY
Recently Samsung announced a battery issue with the Galaxy Note7 smartphone. We are working with Samsung to get new Note7s into our stores, and we are prioritizing customers like you who have purchased Note7s from Best Buy. Our primary goal is your safety, and we encourage you to visit a Best Buy to learn more about our exchange program options. Our Blue Shirts are ready to help find the best solution for you. Options include exchanging your current Note7 for another Samsung Galaxy, getting registered for a new Note7, or returning your phone for a complete refund. To make it easy, we have eliminated the restocking fees and extended the return window until September 30, 2016 for any customer who purchased a Galaxy Note7.

Here are a few things you should bring with you:
Please bring the Note7
Please bring in the receipt if you have it, but if not we will look it up
Bring any accessories you wish to exchange
Learn More ›

Your privacy is important to Best Buy. For more information on how Best Buy protects your privacy, steps you can take to protect your personal information and alerts on privacy risks facing consumers, please visit the Best Buy Privacy Hub.

Best Buy 7601 Penn Avenue South, Richfield, MN 55423-3645

© 2016 Best Buy. All rights reserved.

Sign your name in.
Galaxy Note7 Information - Best Buy

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS!

The good news is that Best Buy are starting to get the replacement Note 7s in stock. When I called my local BB (in San Jose) they told me to come on down and do the swap. I went down right away as they only had 5 black in (no other colors)

The bad news is that after processing the return of my old N7, they were not able to issue me one of the new ones as none of the SEID numbers were in Verizon's system!!

After calling Verizon and other BB stores (I was told that other stores have started doing the swaps), they informed that not only could they not issue me a new phone until the numbers were in the system (later today or tomorrow), but as they had already processed the return on my old N7 they could not return that one to me!!

Long story short: they issued me a S7 loaner (with case) and put one of the new N7s on reserve for me. They said they would call me as soon as the number were in the system so I could come back in and return the loaner (no restocking fee) and pick up the new phone. All in all, the entire process took 90 minutes, but the staff (at one point there were 5 supervisors attempting to put the order through) were all very polite and helpful. [They told me they have ~100 returns they are going to have to process for that one store - so that is going to cost BB a significant amount of time in employee hours]

BTW: I looked at the replacement - the box, phone and contents are identical. The only way to tell is the that there is a small square sticker on the box. The phones look identical - which should pretty much kill the second hand market for these phones as you will not be tell if you are buying an original N7 or the replacement.

BB also wanted me to bring in everything - charger, headphones, etc so they could do a clean swap.
Did u happen to catch the box? Was there any stickers or that square on them?

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes - there is a very small square sticker (about half the size of a sim card) on the end of the box. I examined the box carefully - that was the only difference I could see.
Awesome! But no s sticker eh?

94eb953655e458a99664dd2a722f7e6f.jpg

Last edited:

naturecannon

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
sounds like were all screwed now that an official recall is about to pop. Better get em quick, this recall could takes months to approve sales :(

Strawdawg2013

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
My son called his BB in Houston and they said they hoped to have their shipment in next week and to just come in and swap when they arrived. They mentioned some Houston stores had a received a few. They said there was no need to sign up or anything. I think called my BB in San Angelo and they said they did not know when they would receive their new phones but to come in and sign up for the color and carrier I wanted and they would call me when they had one.

So two different procedures, but, at least they knew they were going to be trading phones. Typical retail business, I think. Word does not travel downhill quickly and there are no corporate procedures handed down.

dadsterflip

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there was an 'S' - only the sticker - but I could have overlooked it. Hopefully will know later tonight (only 4 PM here) or tomorrow when I go pick it up!
Whaaaaat crazy. Keep us updated and pics man! My due date myself is the end of next week before I switch.

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Got the email ref in post 403 today!
B4 driving to BBY, (takes 30-45 min ea way & cost me $10 in gas) I called to make sure they had a new BLUE replacement for my blue N7. On hold 10 min & then disconnected. I call back & in 5 min get employee & ask if the replacement note 7s are in....No. I say I got email saying come in...he cks again... not yet but, I need to come in to preorder my replacement phone. Can’t I do it by phone -no.

Unbelievable! Do, they think by requiring customers to come in multiple times they are going to browse & buy other stuff? If anything this is an incentive to NOT buy anything from BBY! I sure won't.

Voxelflinger

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
I just got my BBY email about coming in and registering for a new Note 7. What I do not want to do be forced to give up my only phone. Because of my vision I use a larger phone. Plus they know I bought the phone from them. They should have me already registered. Ironically I got my 256GB card from BBY in the mail today.

LdotAdot13

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Easiest Best Buy experience of my life! Walked in showed them my email, they took my Best Buy rewards number asked me if I wanted to exchange for another black Note7. Said yes. They printed an order receipt sent me an email and told me to bring back the original box and all its contents once I receive an email saying my phone is in. That's it's. Took less than 5 minutes, no hassle, no stories.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I called my local Best Buy tonight and the guy who works in the mobile department told me that they'll have replacement Note7s in tomorrow or Sunday. He told me that once I get the Best Buy email telling me I can pick up my Note7, that I can go and get it. And it's going to happen this weekend. Apparently. I remain skeptical.

He also told me I could exchange it for any other phone I wanted. I thought about getting the iPhone 7 Plus until I read that it doesn't have Bluetooth.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I hope they come in soon! AT&T just sent a text at 12:09 AM my local time with that CPSC strong urging us to immediately power down and stop using our Note 7 due to fire issues and visit our nearest store to replace our N7.
Just like last week: replace it with what? I'm not taking a loaner S7. I sure hope they get them in over the weekend!
Can we go back to any BB store? I am going to be running errands this weekend and a couple different stores this weekend so I am going to bring my box with me in my car to be ready to exchange near any store I might be by.

andrewg13

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Even if BB has them in they will not be able to release them until CPSC approves the fix. I don't see the CPSC doing anything quickly.

toy4x

May 2, 2011
Visit site
With the CPSC getting involved, no one is getting their phones soon. They're not going to allow the sell or distribution till they have thoroughly tested these phones. So yes, you received an email... No you can't have it.

This might take months.

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
sounds like were all screwed now that an official recall is about to pop. Better get em quick, this recall could takes months to approve sales :(

I agree. All of you Best Buy purchasers who got a Note 7 from them, and have the opportunity to get a replacement from them should hurry before Best Buy is told they can't exchange the old units for new units. Even if you have to drive quite a ways to get the replacement from a store that has them you may want to hurry and do that otherwise there is no telling when you'll be able to get a Note 7 replacement (if ever).

blueGN7

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Easiest Best Buy experience of my life! ...Took less than 5 minutes, no hassle, no stories.
Yeah, it's fine if you are close to your BBY or pass by. Another thing if you need to go far out of your way. My store doesn't take 5 minutes for anything. I'm going tomorrow. I'm not handing over my Note 7 until I have the new one in my hands.

andrewg13

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I agree. All of you Best Buy purchasers who got a Note 7 from them, and have the opportunity to get a replacement from them should hurry before Best Buy is told they can't exchange the old units for new units. Even if you have to drive quite a ways to get the replacement from a store that has them you may want to hurry and do that otherwise there is no telling when you'll be able to get a Note 7 replacement (if ever).
There's a thread here somewhere where a person did go to BB cause he was called to come in to get his new N7. However they couldn't complete the exchange cause some phone info was not in BBs system. He was told to come back tomorrow. Now I'm thinking it's not a coincidence.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've received all those emails and notifications listed above including text messages telling to shut my phone down. I'm now inclined to do so. I'd like to run to the nearby Best Buy this weekend to see if there are any new Note 7s in (AT&T) but I am traveling and I don't have the box and other things that came with it - just the phone. I am wondering if I can do a swap before I get back home next week. I would hate not being able to get on my return flight with my Note 7.... (though not sure how they would be able to detect them). Last week I gave them time to sort it out... It's a week later and despite the emails, there should be better info by now. Why does it have to be so convoluted!