Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
https://www.google.com/amp/www.tech...aching-us-owners.htm?client=ms-android-att-us

Reports are starting to show up on Reddit, revealing that Best Buy already has a batch of Galaxy Note 7 replacement units. Customers have received emails that their replacements are now available, albeit this availability seems to be limited to Best Buy stores at this point.

Nevertheless, other retailers and carriers should get the safe Galaxy Note 7 units soon enough as well.

Galaxy Note 7 owners who purchased their device from Best Buy, meanwhile, might want to go pick up their replacement units sooner rather than later. Best Buy said it will offer the replacements on a first come first served basis, which means it will not be handing out the safe Galaxy Note 7 units by order of purchase or anything like that.

The two BBs where I live have all carrier version except what I need: Verizon.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
In addition to backing up to the cloud, I would use smart switch backed up to the SD card. Trust me depending on how long the process will take (I was there 3 hrs), you don't want to be sitting there longer using smart switch via USB cable to back up. I saw people there for hours due to having to back up after the exchange was sorted out.

I came home, popped in my SD card and my phone was restore to the exact way I had it on the recalled note. Painless.

Smart Switch question. Can you use a card already in the N7, or will it format over the content? I can make room on my 256GB card already in the phone, but do not want the card's content erased. I plan on deleting the Smart Switch content afterward installing on the new Note 7 and keep using the card as is.

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Smart Switch question. Can you use a card already in the N7, or will it format over the content? I can make room on my 256GB card already in the phone, but do not want the card's content erased. I plan on deleting the Smart Switch content afterward installing on the new Note 7 and keep using the card as is.
I used this when I got my N7.0 (recalled note) and it only created a folder on the SD card. It still ran for a while both ways. It did not format my card. I did not use this when I got my N7.1 note yesterday (I used SMS backup & Restore for my call logs & messages) rebuilt everything else clean to prevent carrying over any artifacts.

Cheers,
BR

brau0303

Trusted Member
Jan 21, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone who have not preorder, been able to get a Note7 replacement??

I was able to get my replacement without a pre-order yesterday. (the BB corp email i got yesterday did not specify that you are required to pre-order your replacement) A major part of the problem with this has been confusion about the process, most stores really don't have a clear understanding of what they should be doing) The BB Mob team I talked to yesterday told me that BB corp's instructions have been really unclear..

Cheers,
BR

MzKoKoNY

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site

I use Sandisks cards. Didn't need to format. Doesn't erase the content already on the card. Just open up smart switch and click the 3 dots top right of screen and pick the SD card option. You have the option to select what you want to back up (I store my media and documents on my SD card so I chose to backup the phone storage data: messages, apps, screen settings, etc). It'll tell you how much space it requires. As long as you have the space that's it. Once it completes backup it'll create two files on the card both labeled smart switch: a folder and a zip file. The rest of your files will be in tact.

Once you get the new phone, pop the card in, open up smart switch, pick the card and hit restore. And your done. No need to reconfigure your screens, all your apps loaded. It'll load the phone just the way you left it.

ctk4949

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was able to get my replacement without a pre-order yesterday. (the BB corp email i got yesterday did not specify that you are required to pre-order your replacement) A major part of the problem with this has been confusion about the process, most stores really don't have a clear understanding of what they should be doing) The BB Mob team I talked to yesterday told me that BB corp's instructions have been really vague..

Cheers,
BR

I wish they would have let everyone preorder/reserve, that way they will know how many they need. And I wouldnt have to call every Worst Buy in my area to see if they have a replacement for me....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

jsgiv

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Once the Note7 is back on sale to the general public, it will publicly include the Note7. The Samsung rep told me that it does also include the Note7. I was able to register for the SD card as soon as I got home.
And confirmed... Submitted and approved this morning ... Apparently I'll be getting a 256gb card soon... Thanks!!!!

Serkle K

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
And confirmed... Submitted and approved this morning ... Apparently I'll be getting a 256gb card soon... Thanks!!!!

No problem! I got an email this morning that I need to take another picture of my receipt and resubmit it because they can't see my date of purchase on it. Going to have to wait till I get home for that.

geekstergrl

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
An hour or so after the local BB guy told me to check back on Wednesday, I got the email stating my phone was ready for pickup. Heading over there today, and hoping it doesn't take too long. I see the light at the end of this tunnel! Sprint/Silver.

canonuevo

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
An hour or so after the local BB guy told me to check back on Wednesday, I got the email stating my phone was ready for pickup. Heading over there today, and hoping it doesn't take too long. I see the light at the end of this tunnel! Sprint/Silver.

was the title of your email "Your order will be ready for pickup on ..."?

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, went to BB. I have a past due account... unable to do the exchange until the account is current.

My family split payments for the bill... so I gotta wait until one of my family members come with her portion.

Very disappointing... i don't understand why it can't be a simple scan one in and scan the other out type of situation.

MzKoKoNY

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
Well, went to BB. I have a past due account... unable to do the exchange until the account is current.

My family split payments for the bill... so I gotta wait until one of my family members come with her portion.

Very disappointing... i don't understand why it can't be a simple scan one in and scan the other out type of situation.

Now that makes no sense. If the phone is deemed a risk, the phone needs to be swiped out.

A past due balance would be the same if it was the new phone or a recalled phone.

I could understand if it was an upgrade. Did you speak to manager? Or call Samsung?

toy4x

May 2, 2011
Visit site
For the people that switched already...

Did you keep all the accessories? and how much pressure did BB try and get those accessories back from you in the box?

Really going to try and keep all of mine and the s pen

Ludatyk

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Now that makes no sense. If the phone is deemed a risk, the phone needs to be swiped out.

A past due balance would be the same if it was the new phone or a recalled phone.

I could understand if it was an upgrade. Did you speak to manager? Or call Samsung?

No, but that BB I did the reserve didn't really understand the procedure. Had to call some AT&T representative.

They was under the impression I'm doing some type of upgrade. The BB told me that my reserve will be waiting for me whenever my account is current. I plan on hitting up the BB Forum, but if it's this much of a hassle... I'm leaning toward just returning it for a refund.

I don't like taking too many trips to BB and having to wait for them to figure it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes