Best Buy Note 7 Recall Thread

larry1014

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I exchanged last night @ Best Buy but, was not given any $25 Gift card from Samsung. I thought it was to be a Verizon GC but, I received nothing. Did those of you who did the exchange get this $25 compensation?
Maybe it depends on which carrier you have?

They told me I would get emails with Best buy for 2 $25 dollar cards. This was yesterday, not there so far. Told me it would be in my email after a few hours. I an wait, happy I have replacements and got to keep everything.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Had to call Samsung direct recall number to get things moving. After going to Best Buy last night and only had in stock what people reserved last week who got loaners which I refused to get. Put me on a reserve list and said it would be 2 more weeks before the next batch of replacements come in stock. Should see my replacement tomorrow night if things go right. Fingers crossed ready for this to be over.

RabiesBaby

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
I exchanged last night @ Best Buy but, was not given any $25 Gift card from Samsung. I thought it was to be a Verizon GC but, I received nothing. Did those of you who did the exchange get this $25 compensation?
Maybe it depends on which carrier you have?

My BB did not offer the 25 bucks to me either. After I left BB I called sprint and explained it to them so they applied a 25 dollar credit to my account. I got a text after the call telling me the credit was applied. That was pretty cool of sprint.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Seems like the $25 credit needs to be done manually (Contact your carrier) they won't apply it automatically if the replacement is done at BB from what I'm hearing.

XprincoX

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i saw yesterday that the At&t replacement phone come in this ugly blue/white box with note 7 stamped on the side instead of the usual pretty black original box...

Super Dave426

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
I just walked into my local Best Buy and got in the line that had 5 people swapping out their Note 7s. Guy asked my name, number and carrier, I asked if he had one in Black, he said yes and my phone was swapped out, no problems. I never went in and reserved a phone or anything, went in cold today. Glad it's over with, now restoring my phone from laptop with Smart Switch. I was happy that Samsung Pay installed without a hitch, now I can use it.

mikechaudron

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Went to bestbuy today and they said they are not allowing returns for any phones that had their 14 day return policy expire. They said call 800-samsung.
I called samsung and they said Bestbuy had to return the phones because it was a recall. I walked back in and bestbuy told me no again that I need to call samsung. LOL. doubt I'll buy another phone from bestbuy. I am going to call samsung on monday again. Personally, I want to get another note 7. So for now it's the waiting game and hoping my phone doesn't explode into a million pieces! :eek:

This is what they told me at first, but when I told the manager I shouldn't be penalized for doing the right thing, he wrote on my order to replace my Note 7 even after the 14 days. So when my replacement arrived it was an easy switch.

So I'd push back on them, they'll ultimately give in and take care of it and you'll get your replacement.

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Swapped out my phone tonight... had to go to two different stores to find a black model for AT&T. Ironically, both had silver models which people seem to be looking for. Exchange was very easy, only about 15 minutes since mine was full purchase and AT&T didn't have to be involved. I tried to keep my accessories, but they wouldn't let me. They demanded everything back and took the items I left at home (charger and adapters) out of the new box. I just didn't feel like fighting it. No $25 credit either, but I don't pay for my phone (it's a company expense). This was the 3rd and last phone I'll buy directly from Best Buy. While the overall experience was "easy" the practice, consistency and messaging among stores is ridiculous and each one acts completely differently with policies even among employees at the same store. Not going to deal with that again in the future.

convert

May 24, 2014
Visit site
At&t customers, did you get the new replacement in the horrendous AT&T box or was it in the Samsung box?

To echo the others: same lousy AT&T box. Except, LOL with the little black square on it to denote it was a replacement. But like someone else said-oh well-same beautiful phone inside.

kadinldg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Got my Verizon Note 7 replacement today from Best Buy.

NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A PHONE FROM BEST BUY!!!

First, I called the store where I orginally purchased it from and they told me that I would have had to preorder the replacement in order to pick one up today. I then got upset with the store rep and asked when did you inform me that I needed to do that. NEVER!!! She then said hold on and let me get the mobile manager. He was busy, had to call me back. He did call back and said he found an extra Verizon Black and when could I come in to pick it up. I said NOW. So I get there and they sit me down with a mobile rep and he tells me they need to do a return of my upgrade and then resell me the phone. I'm like what?!! I have UDP and they messed that up the first purchase and had to go through hoops to get the plan back, plus I already made payments on my installment plan of the original recall Note 7. He says it won't be an issue and precedes to call Verizon to do the upgrade return. 30 minutes into call and now the BB Mobile manager involved, And all I hear is the manager saying numerous times to the Verzion Rep we want the "ReSell". Well the Verizon rep tells they can't do the upgrade return. Finally the Verizon rep asked to talk to me. He asked me what I was trying to do. I told him that I just wanted to get my recalled Note 7 replaced. He said they just needed to do a hardware swap and update the IMEI. I said thanks, now tell them to do that for me. 5 minutes later the mobile rep rings up a hardware exchange and gives me the updated phone. DON'T know why that wasn't the first option when I walked in the store, sure seems like BB was trying to make $$ somehow doing this process.

Anyway, I have my new Note 7 and am very happy with it. BUT

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Swapped out my phone tonight... had to go to two different stores to find a black model for AT&T. Ironically, both had silver models which people seem to be looking for. Exchange was very easy, only about 15 minutes since mine was full purchase and AT&T didn't have to be involved. I tried to keep my accessories, but they wouldn't let me. They demanded everything back and took the items I left at home (charger and adapters) out of the new box. I just didn't feel like fighting it. No $25 credit either, but I don't pay for my phone (it's a company expense). This was the 3rd and last phone I'll buy directly from Best Buy. While the overall experience was "easy" the practice, consistency and messaging among stores is ridiculous and each one acts completely differently with policies even among employees at the same store. Not going to deal with that again in the future.
That's so shadey. The stuff they took out of your box is going to get thrown in a drawer, thrown away, or stolen by en employee.

honda-Dave

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Damn I must be lucky, lol, I got my email tonight so I rolled into my local best buy and told the girl that I was there to pick up my phone, she asked what carrier, told her Verizon, she said they haven't showed up yet. I said I got the email, it should be here, she said nope, not yet. The manager was walking by (he knows what I'm in there for, he's seen me the last couple weeks, hahaha) and says they are there, UPS just dropped them while she was at lunch. It took a while to get me set up because my wife switched our plan so it was throwing everything off. Once we got it working, the girl handed me the box with everything in it and said have a great day. I only took my phone in to them, so I have doubles of everything. I forgot to back up my phone on my computer, so I'm manually transferring. Oh, I also had silver originally, so I switched for black, and I am so glad I did, this color is beautiful. Sorry for the rant, but it's so weird how different everyone is doing it.

KupKrazy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

I got mine through a Best Buy Mobile store and was also required to return the box and accessories despite me having printed out notes from BB Corporate that only the phone was needed. It was largely painless, but I too will likely never buy a phone from Best Buy again after the way this was handled. You said it perfectly: "While the overall experience was "easy" the practice, consistency and messaging among stores is ridiculous and each one acts completely differently with policies even among employees at the same store."

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Got my Verizon Note 7 replacement today from Best Buy.

First, I called the store where I orginally purchased it from and they told me that I would have had to preorder the replacement in order to pick one up today. I then got upset with the store rep and asked when did you inform me that I needed to do that. NEVER!!! She then said hold on and let me get the mobile manager. He was busy, had to call me back. He did call back and said he found an extra Verizon Black and when could I come in to pick it up. I said NOW. So I get there and they sit me down with a mobile rep and he tells me they need to do a return of my upgrade and then resell me the phone. I'm like what?!! I have UDP and they messed that up the first purchase and had to go through hoops to get the plan back, plus I already made payments on my installment plan of the original recall Note 7. He says it won't be an issue and precedes to call Verizon to do the upgrade return. 30 minutes into call and now the BB Mobile manager involved, And all I hear is the manager saying numerous times to the Verzion Rep we want the "ReSell". Well the Verizon rep tells they can't do the upgrade return. Finally the Verizon rep asked to talk to me. He asked me what I was trying to do. I told him that I just wanted to get my recalled Note 7 replaced. He said they just needed to do a hardware swap and update the IMEI. I said thanks, now tell them to do that for me. 5 minutes later the mobile rep rings up a hardware exchange and gives me the updated phone. DON'T know why that wasn't the first option when I walked in the store, sure seems like BB was trying to make $$ somehow doing this process.

Anyway, I have my new Note 7 and am very happy with it. BUT

That is not BB, but Verizon. BB is just the proxy to Verizon for the exchange and reset of the device purchase.

BB is as good as the carrier for this process.

dethman11

Sep 22, 2016
Visit site
i went to get my verizon note 7 exchanged at best buy tonight. the process was horrendous, and i think i got screwed in the process.

1) they couldn't figure out how to return the phone in their system and had to call verizon, resulting in being on hold for 30 minutes with verizon.

2) they processed it as a refund and rebuy, which means they returned my phone and used some upgrade option. upon review of my account when i got home, this invalidated my first payment of $36 on the phone and i will have 24 more payments to make instead of 23. also, on my new contract, there is a $20 activation fee. when i initially mentioned these concerns, they said 'oh you'll get it as a bill credit.' yeah i'm not so sure.

3) i had a $672 rebate for a BOGO by purchasing the first phone. i am suspecting that this return/rebuy may invalidate the rebate. when i brought that up they also dismissed my concerns saying that i was part of the recall. again, i'm not so sure.

i'm so frustrated with how little knowledge there is from BB employees regarding the whole issue. you would think with this nationwide recall there would be some official training about how to process this in their system.

djarchow

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
3) i had a $672 rebate for a BOGO by purchasing the first phone. i am suspecting that this return/rebuy may invalidate the rebate. when i brought that up they also dismissed my concerns saying that i was part of the recall. again, i'm not so sure.

I called the Verizon BOGO fulfillment center when the recall was announced. They said I would have to send them a copy of the paperwork showing the exchange. They said it was best to call them to do the process to be sure it went through OK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC