Target Note 7 Recall Thread

mozman

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
From my experience returning to my target, I was told by the Target guest services person (not Target mobile rep), that whatever came with the phone had to be returned. This included the Sim card.... I was annoyed by that part. The target mobile rep was there to confirm that the right phone and all accessories were returned. Then the CSR lady taped up the box to prevent anyone from. Getting in.

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site
That sucks for some stupid reason I did what I never do and threw out the boxes already. Guess I'm SOL on returning for a refund.

mozman

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
That sucks for some stupid reason I did what I never do and threw out the boxes already. Guess I'm SOL on returning for a refund.
You an try going directly to an AT&T store. I'm reading stories of people doing trade ins, even though they got their phone for a different retailer. If one AT&T store doesn't help try some others.

There also maybe be a difference between a corporate run store vs an authorized dealer store. Good luck

Jaxensmommy

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Anybody else have to give back the giftcard and what if you already used it?
The gift card is processed on a different receipt and it was for pre ordering the phone. Which we did. The return should be a different transaction. Mine are spent since I work at Target and am there everyday.
I'm not returning the phone out of choice, I'm exchanging it out of necessity from the recall. The gift card isn't even on the receipt. You can challenge it and they will most likely let you keep it.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I returned my phone during the return period. I was not asked for the gift card back. I was also not charged the additional amount given to me for the guaranteed trade in value. The Target mobile and Target employees were all very helpful while they figured out how to handle the return. I moved the SIM from the Note 7 to my back up phone and told them I did it. The rep called their manager, who said it was okay. I anticipated giving the gift card back and a fight over the SIM card. I was extremely happy it was as easy as it was.

Don't be a hater, but I then went back to Target the next day and purchased an iPhone 6sPlus and received another $200 gift card. That effectively puts me up $100 on the trade, $100 for the first gift card and $200 for the iPhone. That was a deal to good to pass up.

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Returned mine and my wife's Note 7's to Target today. Super simple. Took awhile with them having to call AT&T etc, but really it was no hassle. I was outside the 14-day too. I only had the accessories, not the boxes, but they didn't care. Heck they didn't even look at the accessories, they just threw them in the box for sending back to Samsung. They didn't even ask me about the gift card, and I didn't say anything. Actually had $50 left on one, so after we returned the phones we did some grocery shopping at Target and used the rest of the card.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Returned mine and my wife's Note 7's to Target today. Super simple. Took awhile with them having to call AT&T etc, but really it was no hassle. I was outside the 14-day too. I only had the accessories, not the boxes, but they didn't care. Heck they didn't even look at the accessories, they just threw them in the box for sending back to Samsung. They didn't even ask me about the gift card, and I didn't say anything. Actually had $50 left on one, so after we returned the phones we did some grocery shopping at Target and used the rest of the card.
With the new stories of fire and no clarity on when and how I'm going to get a new note 7 I'm beginning to think a return is the best option. Wanted to wait it out but the stories of burns etc are really troubling.

socalsteve72

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Gave Target a call today (Menifee,CA) and Target Mobile said they are allowing trades for a Galaxy S7 (Loaner) and will be able to trade that phone in for a new Note 7 when available. I am going in this Friday and see if that's true.

Will update on Friday.

jamesaru

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
The Target we got our phones from didn't seem to have a clue. Said they don't do loaners, we'd have to give the gift card back, and we need to contact Sprint for the exchange. Both Sprint stores (corporate and non-corporate) said we need to return to Target. At this point we'll just wait it out and check again in a week.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The Target we got our phones from didn't seem to have a clue. Said they don't do loaners, we'd have to give the gift card back, and we need to contact Sprint for the exchange. Both Sprint stores (corporate and non-corporate) said we need to return to Target. At this point we'll just wait it out and check again in a week.

Do you have another Target in your area? It doesn't have to be returned to the one you bought it at.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I did a chat with ATT to confirm that they will handle exchanges from Target. As with everything else in life, it's not simple. At first, they said I should go to the point of purchase which got me angry. I explained that both Samsung and Target have told me that ATT is handling the exchanges. She reiterated that I should go to Target first but then said that ATT will handle if Target will not. BUT, she said that ATT is requiring that taxes be paid on the phone at the time of exchange which is very annoying because their system does not allow them to refund the taxes from the Target purchase. She then said the taxes will be credited back to me at some other time. I find this to be irritating and unfair to the customer. It makes me want to just return the phone. While I understand these logistical issues arise, they need to figure out a way to keep the customer out of it.

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Really sucks the different experiences. I returned mine, I didn't exchange so maybe that's why. Mine could not have been easier. Target rep did the return with ATT over the phone, then took me to customer service to refund my taxes back to my Target card. I just logged into my AT&T account and see they credited me back my first month's payment for the phones and my upgrades have already been reset.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
If I had a back up this probably would be returned by now. If the iphone 7 was available today, I probably would return too. The thought of exchange for a lesser phone doesn't work. If I return, I have no phone. I could grab something cheap on CL or something but it's such a PIA to set these phones up etc. Had hoped that exchanges would be ready to go by now but it doesn't look like that is the case. I may just suck it up and return and preorder an Iphone 7 tonight. Then grab a cheapie for a week. Ugh.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
If I had a back up this probably would be returned by now. If the iphone 7 was available today, I probably would return too. The thought of exchange for a lesser phone doesn't work. If I return, I have no phone. I could grab something cheap on CL or something but it's such a PIA to set these phones up etc. Had hoped that exchanges would be ready to go by now but it doesn't look like that is the case. I may just suck it up and return and preorder an Iphone 7 tonight. Then grab a cheapie for a week. Ugh.

I still have my old phone an s6 I could go back to. I'm just afraid if I return it now it will be quite awhile before I get a replacement. I will get one much quicker waiting and exchanging when they are available.

kls629

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I still have my old phone an s6 I could go back to. I'm just afraid if I return it now it will be quite awhile before I get a replacement. I will get one much quicker waiting and exchanging when they are available.

yes this is the route everyone should go, i am going to wait also until target gets more in stock and just exchange for the new note 7 (hopefully i can get a black one)

grmrsan1

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
Target and every single other retailer who sold these phones is bound by federal law to return recalled devices. If they refuse ask them if they want you to put cpsc on speaker phone for them while you file a violation complaint.

This is a federal law, not a store policy. They have zero say whether they will or wont return the device.

Nope. The recall is still voluntary, and fcc is mad because Samsung isn't going through official channels. They aren't actually required to do anything.