Target Note 7 Recall Thread

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Really annoying that they can't confirm they will do exchanging and when.
My Target rep said they were told they should get the fixed Note7's in next week. He couldn't say for sure which day nor could he say for sure how many they would be getting. I think people are being unreasonable here. It is up to Samsung to replace the devices, the Target reps can't control when that will happen. It will happen when they get the devices in.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'll wait till next week to see what new information they have. If they're still unsure about what the procedure would, I'll just do a full refund and wait it out. At least I have my money in hand and I can decide further on what to buy

Are you still within the 14 day return period? If so, I would return and get your upgrade restored. My Target guy advised me to return now within the 14 day return period b/c that is going to be the easiest, least time consuming thing to do. I still have my Note5 to use though so that isn't an issue for me.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
My Target rep said they were told they should get the fixed Note7's in next week. He couldn't say for sure which day nor could he say for sure how many they would be getting. I think people are being unreasonable here. It is up to Samsung to replace the devices, the Target reps can't control when that will happen. It will happen when they get the devices in.
My point is a little different. They didn't know if they would be doing the swaps. Ive been told multiple stories. That's the part that is frustrating. Target passing the buck to Samsung and Samsung passing the buck to target.

NatMD

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Are you still within the 14 day return period? If so, I would return and get your upgrade restored. My Target guy advised me to return now within the 14 day return period b/c that is going to be the easiest, least time consuming thing to do. I still have my Note5 to use though so that isn't an issue for me.

I'm still in my 14 day period up until next next week. Just wanted to know what the final pla n is first. I can always get a full refund anyway.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
My point is a little different. They didn't know if they would be doing the swaps. Ive been told multiple stories. That's the part that is frustrating. Target passing the buck to Samsung and Samsung passing the buck to target.
The buck should be passed to Samsung, not Target.

This just happened right before a major US holiday and you want instant answers. Samsung just announced the recall yesterday. I think your expectations are unreasonable and not based in reality given the short time that has elapsed.

Even VERIZON who is Samsung's number 1 partner doesn't have all of their procedures in place. Target mobile is small potatoes compared to Verizon.

Glad I don't work retail and have to deal with so many unreasonable customers every day.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I'm still in my 14 day period up until next next week. Just wanted to know what the final pla n is first. I can always get a full refund anyway.
The Target rep I spoke with said the return process is going to be more involved and time consuming requiring manager approval after the 14 day return period is up.

Target mobile is not like BB or the carriers - they hardly sell any phones compared to the big outfits.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
The buck should be passed to Samsung, not Target.

This just happened right before a major US holiday and you want instant answers. Samsung just announced the recall yesterday. I think your expectations are unreasonable and not based in reality given the short time that has elapsed.

Even VERIZON who is Samsung's number 1 partner doesn't have all of their procedures in place. Target mobile is small potatoes compared to Verizon.

Glad I don't work retail and have to deal with so many unreasonable customers every day.

I paid 900 for a phone that could turn into a fireball. I disagree that I am being unreasonable. Yes I want answers and I think it's perfectly reasonable to expect them. It's not rocket science. As I mentioned before the real problem is Samsungs refusal to direct ship replacements. and it's total BS that target or anyone is not giving refunds after 14 days. Unless I want a lesser phone I am stuck and that is unreasonable.

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I think it's wise just to wait until later next week. I doubt any of the target reps have any solid info today on what needs to be done. This is a recall though and the process is detailed and determined by Samsung so there shouldn't be any need more extra approval for anyone and a 14 day return period has nothing to do with this. If Target was standing in the way of the recall process and someone's device went up in flames and torched a house they'd have some issues. I'm sure our devices will get swapped.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
As I mentioned before the real problem is Samsungs refusal to direct ship replacements.
Never heard of that happening for anything when you didn't buy directly from the manufacturer. You are being unreasonable if you expect that.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Your beef is with Samsung.

You are right. And I called them out earlier for not allowing direct exchanges. They praise being heaped on them is BS. That's the best and only reasonable solution. Yet they refused. So now I am left with poor choices.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
ATT does this all the time and they are the one that sold me the phone. Apple does it all the time too. HTC does the same thing. Of course that alternative exists.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I think it's wise just to wait until later next week. I doubt any of the target reps have any solid info today on what needs to be done.
Yes they do. They got an email and it says they are getting the replacement devices next week. But until then if you want to return for a refund you can. There is no restocking fee.

If you want to do an exchange, you have to wait for them to get the replacement devices in.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Yes they do. They got an email and it says they are getting the replacement devices next week. But until then if you want to return for a refund you can. There is no restocking fee.

If you want to do an exchange, you have to wait for them to get the replacement devices in.

That's very helpful if true. My store was less than clear on that.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I went to my target to discuss things. They confirmed I could exchange for a different phone or get a refund. She didn't say whether the refund option would continue. She was less clear on the exchange process. They are waiting for information on how that is going to work.

I was intent on returning and grabbing a honor 8. But I know I won't like the 8 after a week. So I'm gonna just stick this out. If the v20 looks amazing i may do the refund option but i doubt it will beat the n7.

pomeg

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
So if we choose to refund with Target on AT&T (assuming that's an option), what happens to the 100$ gift card and 200$ trade-in promotion? Are those still honored?

Last edited:

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I went to my target to discuss things. They confirmed I could exchange for a different phone or get a refund. She didn't say whether the refund option would continue. She was less clear on the exchange process. They are waiting for information on how that is going to work.
I would return for a refund and get your upgrade restored. Then when the replacements are done, I am sure that Samsung will offer promos on the Note7 and you can take advantage of those if you decide to stay with the Note7.

Obviously you will need a phone to put on your line if you return for a refund. I have backups so it is no big deal to me.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Obviously you will need a phone to put on your line if you return for a refund. I have backups so it is no big deal to me.

Maybe you could lend me one.... ha. I actually don't have a back up which makes this complicated. The honor 8 is nice but it's still $400 and I absolutely know it won't satisfy me. I wasn't particularly thrilled with my HTC 10 and that's probably the 2nd best phone available. Target wasn't offering a temporary exchange either. Sounded like once you do the deal it is done. You raise a really interesting point though in that Samsung may have no choice but to lower prices and/or offer great deals to restore confidence. Just wish I had an old iPhone laying around.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Just wish I had an old iPhone laying around.

In the past I have purchased GoPhones and then removed the SIM card before turning them on. Then requested that the GoPhone be unlocked through this link:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...Fwww.att.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F&token=QJE46aUz

Select that you are not an AT&T customer even if you are. I have always gotten an unlock code emailed to me within a few days. Then follow the instructions to unlock the phone but don't put a SIM card in the phone until it is unlocked. After it is unlocked, then you can put your postpaid SIM in the phone.

That may be a way to get a cheap backup phone.

You may not even have to get it unlocked to use it on AT&T postpaid, maybe you can just put your AT&T postpaid SIM in a GoPhone, I am not sure because I am on Verizon. But I always get GoPhones unlocked before activation.

If you are on TMobile and get the GoPhones unlocked, you can use them on TMobile.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon