Target Note 7 Recall Thread

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I think AT&T is handling it like that but Verizon reps say otherwise.

I just posted info but for some reason it has to be "approved by a moderator" regarding a chat I just had with Samsung pretty much confirming what you just said. No idea why the post was not posted but if they release it the info is interesting.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I just posted info but for some reason it has to be "approved by a moderator" regarding a chat I just had with Samsung pretty much confirming what you just said. No idea why the post was not posted but if they release it the info is interesting.
What did they say? That AT&T is handling it through the carriers but Verizon is not?

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for the double post. I called 1800 Samsung. This time I got through right away to someone in the US. She said the process is that all exchanges will go through the carrier even if you bought at target. I pressed her several times and she said she understands the confusion but said I need to deal with ATT. She seemed confident this is the plan and it just may take a day or two for everyone to catch up.

My CHAT with Samsung pretty much confirms what you said. Unfortunately for some reason the forum didn't "release" the post with the chat and it's not showing up (after 15 minutes of editing). Message I got said "must be approved by moderator).

trmiv

May 5, 2013
Visit site
When I chatted with AT&T they told me I had to go through Target. Really seems no one has a clue what's actually going on. Hopefully things will start to clear up now that the holiday weekend is over.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
What did they say? That AT&T is handling it through the carriers but Verizon is not?

He took all my info (IMEI, place of purchase, phone number etc etc) and said they are forwarding it to the carrier and after 24 hours I should go to an AT&T store. They also gave me a ticket number to refer to.

Zaki U: I am going to take the information you have provided and we will send this to your Carrier/Retailer on your behalf.
Zaki U: Please allow 24hrs and then you can reach out to your Carrier/Retailer for confirmation. –Again we are sorry for any inconvenience.
Zaki U: I will let you

Ed F: So you are saying I can go to an AT&T store even though it was purchased at a TARGET store, correct?
Zaki U: Yes, you are correct.
Zaki U: Please contact them after 24 hours

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
He took all my info (IMEI, place of purchase, phone number etc etc) and said they are forwarding it to the carrier and after 24 hours I should go to an AT&T store. They also gave me a ticket number to refer to.

Zaki U: I am going to take the information you have provided and we will send this to your Carrier/Retailer on your behalf.
Zaki U: Please allow 24hrs and then you can reach out to your Carrier/Retailer for confirmation. –Again we are sorry for any inconvenience.
Zaki U: I will let you

Ed F: So you are saying I can go to an AT&T store even though it was purchased at a TARGET store, correct?
Zaki U: Yes, you are correct.
Zaki U: Please contact them after 24 hours

Ok that is for AT&T. Verizon says they are not doing it that way.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok that is for AT&T. Verizon says they are not doing it that way.

According to the rest of my chat that is what SAMSUNG is doing as policy. Assuming he is correct (that in itself is a major reach) Verizon and AT&T probably don't have a clue yet. THAT makes much more sense. I PAID AT&T IN FULL for the phone (not TARGET, they just got my deposit).

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
According to the rest of my chat that is what SAMSUNG is doing as policy. Assuming he is correct (that in itself is a major reach) Verizon and AT&T probably don't have a clue yet. THAT makes much more sense. I PAID AT&T IN FULL for the phone (not TARGET, they just got my deposit).
If you got the phone on Next, unless you paid off the loan in full you did not pay AT&T anything yet - there hasn't yet been a payment due on the loan. You paid Target the taxes and the downpayment.

When you return a phone purchased on a DPP, the place of purchase refunds you the taxes and the downpayment that you paid to them and notifies the carrier to cancel the DPP. So when I returned my Note7 to Target, they refunded me the taxes I paid to them as well as the downpayment. Then they notified Verizon that the phone was returned and Verizon canceled the DPP.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
If you got the phone on Next, unless you paid off the loan in full you did not pay AT&T anything yet - there hasn't yet been a payment due on the loan. You paid Target the taxes and the downpayment.

When you return a phone purchased on a DPP, the place of purchase refunds you the taxes and the downpayment that you paid to them and notifies the carrier to cancel the DPP. So when I returned my Note7 to Target, they refunded me the taxes I paid to them as well as the downpayment. Then they notified Verizon that the phone was returned and Verizon canceled the DPP.

I don't think ATT knows it yet. She specifically said they cannot refuse an exchange and to call Samsung in the store if they do.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I don't think ATT knows it yet. She specifically said they cannot refuse an exchange and to call Samsung in the store if they do.

While it may be true no one has paid ATT yet we all borrowed money from ATT at the time of purchase and currently owe them money.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
From all I have read, AT&T seems to be handling things differently from Verizon. I was simply addressing the comment that AT&T has been paid in full. Unless you put down a 100% downpayment, they have not been paid in full.

I think people who want to exchange need to wait until tomorrow to see what the carriers say. This weekend was a major US holiday and the replacement devices aren't even in the stores yet.

If you want to return, I would haul your arse back to Target ASAP and get that done right away because it is clear to me that Samsung has removed the post-14 day return for a full refund option, which is by far the best option.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
If you want to return, I would haul your arse back to Target ASAP and get that done right away because it is clear to me that Samsung has removed the post-14 day return for a full refund option, which is by far the best option.
Totally agree.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site

When you return a phone purchased on a DPP, the place of purchase refunds you the taxes and the down payment that you paid to them and notifies the carrier to cancel the DPP. So when I returned my Note7 to Target, they refunded me the taxes I paid to them as well as the downpayment. Then they notified Verizon that the phone was returned and Verizon canceled the DPP.

#1) Phone is paid off but that has nothing to do with it. I paid my deposit, 24 hrs later paid it off. I don't like owing anyone anything. :)
#2) Deposit goes to AT&T not Target (they just collect it) All Target (well, actually Marketsouce) gets is a commission for the sale of after xx months of service is completed of (from what I understand) $300 but it has nothing to do with the deposit. That is AT&T's money which is why it is entered into AT&T's POS system (if you look at the computer they use it's a totally separate machine from target's POS system but yes, it does generate a receipt with Target's name on it.
#3) While Marketsource is only a LEASED DEPARTMENT at Target (they simply lease the square footage space) since they are under Target's name, ultimately Target's reputation is what is at stake.

Edit: POS = point of sale and not piece of shxx :D

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
#1) Phone is paid off but that has nothing to do with it. I paid my deposit, 24 hrs later paid it off. I don't like owing anyone anything. :)
I did the same thing. It made my return more complicated as the DPP could not be canceled. I had to get Verizon to credit my account for the DPP balance. They could not credit my cc.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
That is AT&T's money
I am 100% certain that Verizon would not accept my Target gift cards as payment, lol!

Yes, the DP eventually makes it to the carriers, but if you are w/in 14 days it has not yet been sent to them. So it works like I said it works when you return for refund - your taxes/DP gets refunded to you by the place of purchase and your DPP gets canceled by the carrier.

I will never again pay off a DPP before the 14 day return period is up b/c that further complicated my return and as I said, Verizon could not credit my cc for the DPP balance; instead they gave me a bill credit. I am OK with that because I have a lot of lines on my account and big Verizon bills but not everyone would be OK with that outcome.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
#3) While Marketsource is only a LEASED DEPARTMENT at Target (they simply lease the square footage space) since they are under Target's name, ultimately Target's reputation is what is at stake.
ITA that the average person thinks they are dealing with Target not MarketSource just like the average person thinks they are dealing with Costco not Wireless Advocates. But at the end of the day, the system in place was not set up to handle returns outside of the 14 day return period due to recalls. This is a very, very, very unusual situation. Nothing like this has ever happened before in the US smartphone industry.

mozman

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's my experience returning the my AT&T Note 7 to target. I am within the 14 day return period. Turns out I had to return the phone to the same store I purchased it at (after going to my nearby target). The return is handled by the guest services counter, not the Target Mobile employee. However, the Target Mobile employee needed to verify I was returning the right phone and accessories. The guest services lady made me forfeit the Sim card that came with the Note 7. She said that if it came with the phone then it has to go back as well. Then guest services processed my return (which is for the taxes on the phone price). After that I had to go to with the Target Mobile employee, back to his kiosk for him to notify AT&T that I returned the phone. After about 45 minutes it was all settled.

Problem: because I had to forfeit the Sim card I have nothing to activate my old Galaxy S6. I Called AT&T later back at home to activate my old Sim that was in my S6. Turns out that once a Sim is deactivated, it can not be activated again. Now I have to go to an AT&T store to get a free Sim card to get my S6 to work.

Positive side is that I still have the usb cable and usb c adapter, and was not asked to give back to $100 GC.

The Target Mobile employee never processed a return, he didn't ask about the GC. But when he called his manager for help processing THE AT&T cancellation, I was asked. I told him I already spent it and that was it. Nothing else asked.

Do note that I got my Note 7 after the $100 GC promo expired, but was able to still get it. So there's no note on my Target receipt that I got the $100 GC,in case your receipt indicates it.

Hope this help set possible expectations, if any one returns their phone to target.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Here's my experience returning the my AT&T Note 7 to target. I am within the 14 day return period. Turns out I had to return the phone to the same store I purchased it at (after going to my nearby target). The return is handled by the guest services counter, not the Target Mobile employee. However, the Target Mobile employee needed to verify I was returning the right phone and accessories.
That's very different from what I experienced. My Target Mobile guy inspected the device/accessories I was returning and then called his ROC to process the return through Verizon so that the DPP was canceled and upgrade restored.

Then he took the device and my Target receipt to CS and all the CSR did was refund me my DP in the form of a Target gc (since that was how I paid) and the taxes were credited back to my cc (since that was how I paid). Then I was on my way.