Target Note 7 Recall Thread

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Do note that I got my Note 7 after the $100 GC promo expired, but was able to still get it. So there's no note on my Target receipt that I got the $100 GC,in case your receipt indicates it.
There would be no note of the $100 GC even if you got it during the promo. It is issued a separate receipt. The CSRs don't know about it unless the Target Mobile rep tells them.

One poster a few posts back, the TM rep took the $100 GC, which means that Target will never see that $100 GC returned to them, lol!

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I did the same thing. It made my return more complicated as the DPP could not be canceled. I had to get Verizon to credit my account for the DPP balance. They could not credit my cc.

My thing is I have no desire for a refund. I want the phone. So that is one major difference we have. I will keep it as long as necessary because the chances of it blowing up are slim to none. I mean 35 or 40 out of how many million? If I can get it replaced now, 1200 miles from where I bought it, fine. If not I will either go to Target to exchange when I get home or bring it to Samsung repair about 20 miles from where I live (at home, not here). It SEEMS to me Samsung will take care of it.

What made me call Samsung was I was speaking to the Samsung rep down here in central FL at local Best Buy about this situation and he told me that Samsung will do what (it seems) the chat guy said he will do. He also told me there was a FIRMWARE problem with my phone which was causing a very fast battery drop and it needed to be reflashed (not software but firmware). He said he used to be able to do it but since the recall they removed the firmware from his access. He SEEMED to know what he was talking about but of course he could have been blowing smoke up my arse.

I'll go to a local AT&T with my phone down here and if they blow me off I will call Samsung with the ticket number while I am there. If nothing comes of it I can wait till Oct 12th when I return to NJ. I'm not worried, I'll just make sure my wife keeps it and not me!!

mozman

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
There would be no note of the $100 GC even if you got it during the promo. It is issued a separate receipt. The CSRs don't know about it unless the Target Mobile rep tells them.

One poster a few posts back, the TM rep took the $100 GC, which means that Target will never see that $100 GC returned to them, lol!
I saw that post and found it interesting,and made think about it when I was asked about the GC.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
I saw that post and found it interesting,and made think about it when I was asked about the GC.

My TM rep told me just to keep mine and didn't mention it to the CSR so I kept it :)

I have $300 in Target gift cards to apply to the downpayment when I rebuy the Note7 if they run another promo, and I think that they will. Hopefully Target will have a good promo but if not like I said, I can use $300 in Target gift cards quickly just buying all of the staples that I buy anyhow.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Went to the Target I bought mine at today. The guy working the target mobile was the area manager not the normal kid. He still had no clue what was going on. He said all refunds or exchanges were to be done straight through Samsung. He even had a number for me to call for Samsung. He said that's what they were all told in an email. He also said they received an email last Wednesday about the recall and to not sell anymore and send the remaining stock back to Samsung. I told him he must have his days mixed up too because the recall was announced Friday not Wednesday. Hee basically said they can't help me and I'm on my own. Target mobile is filled with the most incompetent, frustrating, and useless employees I've ever seen.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Went to the Target I bought mine at today. The guy working the target mobile was the area manager not the normal kid. He still had no clue what was going on. He said all refunds or exchanges were to be done straight through Samsung. He even had a number for me to call for Samsung. He said that's what they were all told in an email. He also said they received an email last Wednesday about the recall and to not sell anymore and send the remaining stock back to Samsung. I told him he must have his days mixed up too because the recall was announced Friday not Wednesday. Hee basically said they can't help me and I'm on my own. Target mobile is filled with the most incompetent, frustrating, and useless employees I've ever seen.
Well that sucks.

We should know more tomorrow but it looks like if you are past the 14 day return window it is hit or miss whether or not you can return for refund to Target.

If you are an AT&T customer, AT&T seems willing to do a return for refund even if you bought through Target. Verizon won't though from all I read.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well that sucks.

We should know more tomorrow but it looks like if you are past the 14 day return window it is hit or miss whether or not you can return for refund to Target.

If you are an AT&T customer, AT&T seems willing to do a return for refund even if you bought through Target. Verizon won't though from all I read.

He also acted like they would not be selling note 7's in the future so exchanging with them is not an option, but we all know that won't be true. He was adamant that all exchanges were done directly with Samsung.

SarahGN

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
He also acted like they would not be selling note 7's in the future so exchanging with them is not an option, but we all know that won't be true. He was adamant that all exchanges were done directly with Samsung.

Obviously MarketSource isn't a very well run company. But in all fairness, the recall has not been well organized to date. There should have been definitive procedures in place by now. They don't have the phones in yet so they can't begin the exchanges, but Samsung should have communicated the procedures to the retailers by now. That obviously hasn't happened yet.

Or if it has, the head offices were off for the holiday so they haven't passed the procedures down the chain to the retail stores.

ptarlow

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
I bought mine at Target and stopped by the AT&T store yesterday and was given the option of exchanging the phone there for another Samsung and then, if I wanted, to swap that phone out for the new Note 7s. The guy wasn't anxious for me to take that option but it was out there. He said that I could exchange the phone there (at the AT&T store) when they had them. FWIW.

In defense of Target, when I bought my Note 7 there originally it was probably the most pleasant phone buying experience I've had. The salesperson (whoever they worked for) was competent and friendly. Again, fwiw.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know a phone number for someone higher up at Target mobile since the people at the store level have no idea what's going on?

Mark Guim

Banned
Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Returned my AT&T Note 7 to Target today. The salesperson read an email about the return process and then called "Target Support" on phone. Since it was past 14 days already, they had to 'reset the date.' They also asked for the $100 gift card back. That caught me by surprise. Process took 20 minutes.

In the end, Note 7 returned.

kls629

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
that some bs, why are they getting the gift card back if its a company recall?

i will hold on returning it, and contacting samsung directly if they want the gift card back

samsung is taking responsibility and taking the phones back before they have a class action lawsuit

can you exchange for a different color note 7?

Last edited:

Shepx13

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not wasting my time at my target unless I have no other choice. When the new Notes and are in stock, I'll go to my local AT&T and beg for their help 😁

kls629

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
i called verizon store, the CSR stated they would be getting new note 7 on the 30th.

vzw press release stated the return policy would end be extended til 30th, hopefully they extend that date

i also called samsung at 1-800-samsung. they stated new note 7 will be in my carrier, verizon, stock by next week and i can ask for an exchange along with a $25 gift card. i also asked if i could get a new color note 7 and they stated it was up to the carrier to determine that

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Returned my AT&T Note 7 to Target today. The salesperson read an email about the return process and then called "Target Support" on phone. Since it was past 14 days already, they had to 'reset the date.' They also asked for the $100 gift card back. That caught me by surprise. Process took 20 minutes.

In the end, Note 7 returned.

What would they have done if you didn't have the giftcard anymore? My Target finally said they can take it back but I think I'm going to wait a few days to see when new ones will be coming and with what promotions then decide if I want to just exchange or rebuy.

socalsteve72

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Any more updates for people who bought at Target and are past 14 day window? I dont have a backup phone since mine was traded in at Target when i bought the Note 7 and need a phone.

Thanks

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Any more updates for people who bought at Target and are past 14 day window? I dont have a backup phone since mine was traded in at Target when i bought the Note 7 and need a phone.

Thanks

San boat. Still deciding. I think your choices are a full return or wait for att to get replacements. Or target will exchange for something else.

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I am outside of the 14 day window. I brought my Note 7 back to Target yesterday and they were in the processing of giving me a 7s Edge as a temporary phone until the new Notes come in. Basically, handling just how ATT is handling in their stores. They were processing my return and the store had to call their support desk to discuss it. I spent about 2 hours on the phone with target support and ATT. My problem is that I did a shared upgrade. My son's line was eligible for an upgrade so I just used that to get the Note 7. Now my son's upgrade eligibility has been re-instated but I am not able to share the upgrade anymore and ATT won't do anything about it. I actually was on the phone with Target support and ATT at the same time and ATT was telling me I had to deal with Samsung directly. The Target support person was getting very fired up and basically hung up on ATT and called back to talk to someone else.
So now the rep at the store is talking to their ATT rep and trying to figure out my upgrade.