Target Note 7 Recall Thread

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I did a chat with ATT to confirm that they will handle exchanges from Target. As with everything else in life, it's not simple. At first, they said I should go to the point of purchase which got me angry. I explained that both Samsung and Target have told me that ATT is handling the exchanges. She reiterated that I should go to Target first but then said that ATT will handle if Target will not. BUT, she said that ATT is requiring that taxes be paid on the phone at the time of exchange which is very annoying because their system does not allow them to refund the taxes from the Target purchase. She then said the taxes will be credited back to me at some other time. I find this to be irritating and unfair to the customer. It makes me want to just return the phone. While I understand these logistical issues arise, they need to figure out a way to keep the customer out of it.

Well, my story is good.

I am from NJ and am in Florida for a month. Purchased from Target in NJ. There isn't another Target Mobile dept within 40 miles of here. I walked in to the only local AT&T Corp store here and the sales rep was wonderful (I hadn't mentioned Target yet). No problem he said. Then I dropped the "T" word and he went back to his manager and said he couldn't take it back. I then asked to speak to the manager. The rep walked back and came back an said "no problem we'll take it." 10 minutes later I walked out with an S7 Edge which I will exchange when the Notes are back in stock.

Got a complete refund including NJ sales tax against the S7 Edge + Fl sales tax (same 7% anyway). Left me with a ~$90 balance which I applied to my bill which was due. I had NO box, no accessories,and the charger was back where we are staying (they don't care). Rep even gave me the Stylus to keep. All he wanted was the phone which he dropped in a clear plastic envelope and stuck in his drawer. All done. The only thing I didn't get (and have no idea on HOW to get) was the $25 gift card ..... frankly it isn't important to me.

Obviously this transaction had no effect on the $100 GC or the $200 trade or the 256GB card as they had no knowledge of it and didn't care especially since it was a (temporary) swap.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I honestly don't trust ATT to take back whatever temporary phone they give me. I just have a feeling it's going to be a hassle. Hopefully I'm just paranoid. It was totally ridiculous the way the woman today told me that I should be prepared to keep my swap phone permanently.

MisterEd

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't trust ATT to take back whatever temporary phone they give me. I just have a feeling it's going to be a hassle. Hopefully I'm just paranoid. It was totally ridiculous the way the woman today told me that I should be prepared to keep my swap phone permanently.

That's funny. She is obviously totally wrong. Everything printed everywhere states you can swap back. You need to simply make sure your account is marked as a recall swap. IF that happens calling Samsung corporate and/or AT&T corp would be all that is needed. I wouldn't be totally unhappy keeping the Edge 7 but I still want my Note 7 back.

aenokea

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I returned my Note 7 within the 14 day return period and didnt have a problem, even kept the $100 gift card because they didnt ask for it. I plan to purchase a new Note when they're available and hoping that Target will have another promotion. Maybe I'll trade in another phone for $200 again to double up on that... Am I wrong in thinking that I can do that? I thought more people would be returning in hopes of a better promotion to entice Note buyers.

scottishlassy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Couldn't agree with you more. I am holding on to mine until Target gets new ones in and then do a straight trade.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I returned my Note 7 within the 14 day return period and didnt have a problem, even kept the $100 gift card because they didnt ask for it. I plan to purchase a new Note when they're available and hoping that Target will have another promotion. Maybe I'll trade in another phone for $200 again to double up on that... Am I wrong in thinking that I can do that? I thought more people would be returning in hopes of a better promotion to entice Note buyers.

I was originally thinking of doing what you did hoping to get another promotion but someone else on the board had a good point. Samsung and other retail stores will probably wait to do any new promotions until all the original phones have been swapped and the dust has settled a little bit. I just don't want to go very long without my note. There's really no benefit in rushing to return mine. This way I can keep my options open to returning and rebuying if there is a new promotion or just exchanging if there isn't.

aenokea

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I was originally thinking of doing what you did hoping to get another promotion but someone else on the board had a good point. Samsung and other retail stores will probably wait to do any new promotions until all the original phones have been swapped and the dust has settled a little bit. I just don't want to go very long without my note. There's really no benefit in rushing to return mine. This way I can keep my options open to returning and rebuying if there is a new promotion or just exchanging if there isn't.

I see where you're coming from. At the time, there was talk about Target maybe not taking back phones after the 14 day period so I rushed to return mine as it was on the 14th day. Now that they are taking returns after the 14 days, there isnt a need to return. I hope they do offer something... I not in a rush to get new phone but I do want to buy from Target to use my $300 in gift cards.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
Tried to preorder a gloss black iphone 7 this am. Figured I would hedge my bets. Well, gloss black is sold out until November. The other colors look boring. So I'll be keeping my Note 7 and waiting impatiently for my exchange unit.

scottishlassy

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm at my Target right now. He says they should have replacements next week. They are looking at extending the return policy past September 30 if the replacements don't come in next week.

clerk

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I'm at my Target right now. He says they should have replacements next week. They are looking at extending the return policy past September 30 if the replacements don't come in next week.

I bit the bullet and returned. I didn't want to get stuck in no mans land with a phone that has no market value and no replacements in sight. I got to keep my $300 in gift cards. They never asked. If new ones come in next week, great, I'll buy again. Picked up a mint s7 edge for $350 on craigslist. It will tide me over.

As for the target experience on returns, not bad. They were very helpful and it took about 30 minutes once they got to me.

JimJones123

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I really hate ATT customer service!

Neil : Hello, my name is Neil. I hope you are having a great day! How may I help you today?
Jim : I have a samsung galaxy note 7. I purchased it from Target. Do I need to return the phone to target or can I return it to an ATT store?
Neil : Sure thing.
Neil : I can definitely help you with that.
Neil : Since the phone is from target you have to let them unlock the phone so that we can activate on our service.
Jim : It is active on ATT already. The phone is recalled and I am curious about the return/exchange process
Neil : Oh I see.
Neil : May I know why do you want to return the phone?
Jim : It is recalled because the battery explodes!!!
Jim : This is a big deal, all over the news, I am really surprised you are unaware of the issue
Neil : I'm sorry to hear that.
Neil : If that's the case you may go to one of our retail store.
Neil : Yes we are recalling the the note7 that was purchased from us.
Jim : I purchased it from Target, can I return it to an ATT store?
Neil : I'm so sorry Jim, my eyes is such a traitor I should wear glasses now.
Neil : To be honest, it will not be replaced since it is not purchased from TT.
Neil : AT&T
Jim : ok
Neil : I do apologize Lee.
Neil : As much as we love to since the phone doesn't have any commitment from us, you may just contact target if they are also recalling their deffective note7
Neil : Is there anything else I can help you with?

Last edited:

Faded03cobra198p

Mar 28, 2016
Visit site
I really hate ATT customer service!

Neil : Hello, my name is Neil. I hope you are having a great day! How may I help you today?
Jim : I have a samsung galaxy note 7. I purchased it from Target. Do I need to return the phone to target or can I return it to an ATT store?
Neil : Sure thing.
Neil : I can definitely help you with that.
Neil : Since the phone is from target you have to let them unlock the phone so that we can activate on our service.
Jim : It is active on ATT already. The phone is recalled and I am curious about the return/exchange process
Neil : Oh I see.
Neil : May I know why do you want to return the phone?
Jim : It is recalled because the battery explodes!!!
Jim : This is a big deal, all over the news, I am really surprised you are unaware of the issue
Neil : I'm sorry to hear that.
Neil : If that's the case you may go to one of our retail store.
Neil : Yes we are recalling the the note7 that was purchased from us.
Jim : I purchased it from Target, can I return it to an ATT store?
Neil : I'm so sorry Lee, my eyes is such a traitor I should wear glasses now.
Neil : To be honest, it will not be replaced since it is not purchased from TT.
Neil : AT&T
Jim : ok
Neil : I do apologize Lee.
Neil : As much as we love to since the phone doesn't have any commitment from us, you may just contact target if they are also recalling their deffective note7
Neil : Is there anything else I can help you with?

You asked a stupid question and you got a stupid response. Seems like a fair exchange.

Lynn32

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I returned two note 7s tonight. Got to keep all 800 in gift cards from two cheapy trades ins and two Verizon line activation bonuses. Had used 600 towards the phones' downpayment. That was refunded in two new giftcards. Rep said they had received a memo stating customers got to keep all promos associated with the note 7. I had called two other stores earlier to make sure they knew how to do the return. The first rep said they weren't doing returns, only exchanges for s7s and the second rep immediately said the 100$ gift card had to be returned (very rudely) when I asked if she could do a Note 7 return. I told her I didn't receive a 100$ gc bc I didn't preorder. She nastily retorted well you would've received a gift card if you activated a line. I said ok thanks, she goes uh huh and I hung up lol. Attitude for no reason.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon