Costco Note 7 Recall Thread

chap245

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Re: Costco replacements?

Still on hold here. I called the Costco here in Lake in the Hills, IL and they only received black and silver also. I currently have a coral blue and really like the color. I had to wait for a week to get it up front, and I really don't wish to settle now, but am torn about getting a safe replacement. I called Samsung on Friday and they told me that all retailers will receive replacements in all colors that were sold. She assured me that my Costco would receive blue replacements by Monday (tomorrow) at the latest. Has anyone been able to exchange for a blue Note 7 at a Costco kiosk yet? Just hoping all of this nonsense is over soon.

Crashresistant

Sep 28, 2016
Visit site

Hello all. Disclaimer: This is my first post as a new member so I apologize if I offend anyone with my opinions based on my personal experience at Costco, Verizon support, or Samsung.

Like many of you and potentially hundreds of thousands of loyal Samsung customers, I was screwed. In all I spent at least 5 hours on the phone with Verizon, Costco, the Costco authorized Verizon retailer, and Samsung themselves. I had to verify every detail, from stock and replacement timing, color options, payment, "gift" eligibility, etc.
What did I get in return? Finally, a replacement Note 7. Yaaay /sarcasm

When I got my original Note 7, I will admit that I made the mistake of losing my entire wireless retailer plastic baggy including the original receipt, box, free charging device, and all original accessories. I called Costco and confirmed with the wireless district manager through their representative that I would still be able to return my recalled Note 7 with no problems- yet after hours of dealing with the return/replacement, the Costco store manager gave me trouble for not having all the original box and accessories. I have no problems with Costco because it was SAMSUNG who is literally threatening Costco with not reimbursing them for any device without the original box and accessories.
That is ridiculous. Samsung needs to cough up every penny to customers, wireless providers, and retailers over this botched device and recall effort.

In summary, I am considering switching to Apple, because they would ultimately handle a potential recall much better than Samsung. This has been a personal time wasting disaster and I'm livid at Samsung Electronics- so are store managers and employees on all sides.

I have mentioned the 24+ hours I spent on setting up my Note 7. How does a "potential" $25 credit on my Verizon bill even come close to compensating me for this massive inconvenience?

Samsung is a joke. I will keep this device as long as I can and switch to Apple or an alternate competing manufacturer's device most likely within 2 years.

ikarmag

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I just settled in with this replacement note. I want to exchange for another phone and don't want S7 or S7edge. I got the Bogo deal (an S7 and S7 Note). My rebate is on the way and I want to make sure I am able to keep the rebate. Anyone else in the same boat?

Xenuprime

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

same boat here (except I have my rebate card). I don't think they can take back the rebate. The terms do not say you have to keep the phone (s), only the LINES for 6 months.

I'm thinking about the Pixel XL. Does anyone know if Costco will sell them?

Themonkey88

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site

As long as you switch to a S7 or S7E the rebate should be valid. Costco is currently running a $225 Costco cash card promotion on the S7. I'm wondering if you can get this too after trading in the N7? If so, that would be $672 for the BOGO plus $450 for two S7's. The BOGO was handled through Verizon whereas the new rebate appears to be through Costco's rebate clearing house. I could handle two S7s for a while if they give me another rebate on top of the BOGO. As I understand Costco is handling this a a return and buy so it might just work!

wildcatsaz

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site

My Costco is saying they haven't heard when they will get their replacements and the main customer service for wireless advocates (the kiosk at Costco), said just now "Samsung has told us anything and I think they are still trying to figure out how they are going to handle the recall" lol

I am in the same boat with you. I got the BOGO promotion and due to that I've been stuck with Samsung's smartphones. The reps in COSTCO told me if I return my note 7 without buying a samsung S7 or S7 edge, I will have to return my S7, for which I am still waiting for the rebate. IMO, note 7 is an amazing phone and I really like it. I hope I could keep N7 but have to prepare for the worst case - to exchange for another samsung S7 or edge 7.

ikarmag

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

same boat here (except I have my rebate card). I don't think they can take back the rebate. The terms do not say you have to keep the phone (s), only the LINES for 6 months.

I'm thinking about the Pixel XL. Does anyone know if Costco will sell them?

Did the tracking site update once the card was mailed? My tracking has been showing "We are getting your reward ready for the mail" for the last week now.

ikarmag

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

I am about to get on chat with Verizon and I noticed that it says "Upgrade Available" on my Note 7. I wonder what that means..... If it means I can simply upgrade to a different phone through Verizon and skip Costco I will be one happy customer. Well besides having to give up the Note 7.

Themonkey88

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site

I believe everyone who bought a Note 7 with a DPP on Verizon has had the DPP dissolved and any payments made have been credited back (see other post on this forum - I can confirm that my DPP for both Note 7's on my account have been zero'd and refunded the amount I have already paid into it). Also, as stated in a previous post, the terms only say you must keep the lines active for 6 months on the BOGO, it did not specify the phone purchased (or other Galaxy device) must be active. I think everyone will get to keep the BOGO regardless of what phone is on their account but YMMV of course. Everyone with a Note 7 on Verizon should be upgrade eligible immediately. I would return the Note 7's to Costco (or wherever they were purchased) to get sales tax refunded. You should be able to take full advantage of any promotion currently active at Costco or anywhere else just like a regular upgrade.

Xenuprime

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I believe everyone who bought a Note 7 with a DPP on Verizon has had the DPP dissolved and any payments made have been credited back (see other post on this forum - I can confirm that my DPP for both Note 7's on my account have been zero'd and refunded the amount I have already paid into it). Also, as stated in a previous post, the terms only say you must keep the lines active for 6 months on the BOGO, it did not specify the phone purchased (or other Galaxy device) must be active. I think everyone will get to keep the BOGO regardless of what phone is on their account but YMMV of course. Everyone with a Note 7 on Verizon should be upgrade eligible immediately. I would return the Note 7's to Costco (or wherever they were purchased) to get sales tax refunded. You should be able to take full advantage of any promotion currently active at Costco or anywhere else just like a regular upgrade.

Wow. This matches what the costco wireless person just told me. She said I will keep my rebate no matter what and she is hearing we will get even more on top of that. She must have been talking about zeroing out the payment plan and keeping the phone (she said don't keep the phone if I feel unsafe, but if I want to wait, that's fine too). She also said they should get the LG V20 (doesn't know when), but she doesn't think they will get the Pixel.

ikarmag

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Looks like you can use the upgrade to preorder the Pixel online. I haven't completed the process yet because I don't know if that is what I want.

wildcatsaz

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
just curious. With the BOGO promotion, did you guys get anything extra when getting the loaner, green battery replacement? I heard some guys in other thread talking about free 256G card, Gear VR, watch...when asking for a loaner and the replacement....It seems carriers were more generous during this recall...

Xenuprime

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
just curious. With the BOGO promotion, did you guys get anything extra when getting the loaner, green battery replacement? I heard some guys in other thread talking about free 256G card, Gear VR, watch...when asking for a loaner and the replacement....It seems carriers were more generous during this recall...

Here is what I got:
Original Note: Fit2
Temporary S7E: Gear VR
New Note 7: 256gb card (on the way)

On a funny side note, I got the email yesterday saying Samsung would tell Oculus to transfer my bonus content from the S7E to the Note 7, lol I'm sure Oculus will get right on that.

wildcatsaz

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Here is what I got:
Original Note: Fit2
Temporary S7E: Gear VR
New Note 7: 256gb card (on the way)

On a funny side note, I got the email yesterday saying Samsung would tell Oculus to transfer my bonus content from the S7E to the Note 7, lol I'm sure Oculus will get right on that.

Interesting! Are you with a BOGO promotion? I thought that with a BOGO promotion, you only can get a rebate up to $672 and besides that you get nothing extra....hmm...maybe different COSTCO has different policy?

But for now, I haven't heard anything back from COSTCO yet. Don't know whether all Carrier's return/exchange policy applied to COSTCO as well. One guy at COSTCO told me last week that they were still waiting for more information....;-((

ikarmag

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, Verizon is making it easier this time by allowing us to choose another phone online by using upgrade. They will send you a box to return the Note. I was also told that I would be stuck with paying taxes on my new phone since I didn't pay taxes for the Note. I am going to preorder the Pixel tomorrow so I will see.

Xenuprime

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Interesting! Are you with a BOGO promotion? I thought that with a BOGO promotion, you only can get a rebate up to $672 and besides that you get nothing extra....hmm...maybe different COSTCO has different policy?

But for now, I haven't heard anything back from COSTCO yet. Don't know whether all Carrier's return/exchange policy applied to COSTCO as well. One guy at COSTCO told me last week that they were still waiting for more information....;-((

The 3 promotions I listed are from Samsung, so Costco / Verizon doesn't care if I get those in addition to the BOGO (which I already got). I also have $50 in Costco gift cards coming ($25 per new line).

As far as I know, Verizon is making it easier this time by allowing us to choose another phone online by using upgrade. They will send you a box to return the Note. I was also told that I would be stuck with paying taxes on my new phone since I didn't pay taxes for the Note. I am going to preorder the Pixel tomorrow so I will see.

I am curious if Verizon will ship you the box and try to get you to return the note to them. Since you got it at Costco, I would think it has to go to them. I understand it's a recall and all of that, but Costco collected and remitted the sales tax on it, so Verizon probably won't refund that back to you unless they are willing to get an assignment of rights from Costco and request a refund from the state.

wildcatsaz

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
The 3 promotions I listed are from Samsung, so Costco / Verizon doesn't care if I get those in addition to the BOGO (which I already got). I also have $50 in Costco gift cards coming ($25 per new line).

If you bought note 7 from COSTCO, did you mean that you got your loaner and replacement directly from Samsung not COSTCO? Still a little confused. But anyway, the most important thing for now is how to return my note 7. Sending back directly to verizon or go through COSTCO. Thanks a lot for your information. shake hands.

I am curious if Verizon will ship you the box and try to get you to return the note to them. Since you got it at Costco, I would think it has to go to them. I understand it's a recall and all of that, but Costco collected and remitted the sales tax on it, so Verizon probably won't refund that back to you unless they are willing to get an assignment of rights from Costco and request a refund from the state.

Xenuprime

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm wondering what will happen if we (Costco buyers) keep the Note? We didn't buy directly from Samsung or Verizon, so they will be expecting us to return them to Costco. I just called Costco and of course they don't care at this point and said the only people who would try to force us to return them is Samsung / Verizon. He also said they heard a deadline to return them of October 30, but then they were told there is no deadline right now.

I know it's not practical to keep it long term, I'm just curious wondering mainly in case I need more time to pick a replacement. I'm honestly leaning towards using my Note 3 until the S8 or N8 comes out.

wildcatsaz

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
I have got two emails in a row from Verizon urging me to shut down my note 7 and return it to VZ ASAP. But honestly speaking I really don't wanna buy either S7/S7 edge or iphone 7/plus, which seems to be a downgrade for me. I will wait a couple of more days untill I got my rebate check. After that I am planning to go back my old galaxy s4 and wait for next year's note 8/s8/s8 edge or iphone 8/plus. Hate all of the mess caused by these rediculous recalls but what else can we do besides taking that pitiful 25 bucks.

wildcatsaz

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
An update for today. I finally got tired of being worried the flight ban, replacement stuff etc and decided to call COSTCO to clarify the process of N7 replacement. The guys in local COSTCO store told me that I could only either exchange with a Samsung smart phone and got $100 bill credit or get a full N7 refund but that would disqualify my "buy one get one free" promotion. I hate that result since my son has been using the S7 as his new toy. In order to keep this BOGO promotion I decided to move on and went COSTCO to get a S7 edge. The edge looks fine but to be honest it really looks a toy phone comparing with N7. It'll be okay in a few days after I finally get used to it but I really miss my N7.... RIP N7!!! Samsung did screw it up and **** me off for this...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC