Traded Note 5 for Note 7, now having to pay double to get it back

turnjet

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I traded in my Note 5 for the Note 7 and to get the Note 5 again I have to pay double for what I traded in for a perfectly good Note 5. Oh, I get a free 32GB card. Seriously, screw you Samsung! Absolute **** take.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How do you end up having to pay anything? Shouldn't they be giving you a Note 5 and then refunding the difference from the price of the Note 7 to you? Which retailer is this through?

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
The op ends up paying out of pocket because the trade in was well below the price of the N5. So all those payments made previously, will start from scratch with the replacement N5. Even a used N5 from swappa cost more than what they got for carrier trade in

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The op ends up paying out of pocket because the trade in was well below the price of the N5. So all those payments made previously, will start from scratch with the replacement N5. Even a used N5 from swappa cost more than what they got for carrier trade in
True, but also traded a year old used phone for a brand new one. There's some value there, but might not make up the delta.

keepnitreel

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
True, but also traded a year old used phone for a brand new one. There's some value there, but might not make up the delta.
The op traded a year old phone for a brand new N7. If the op wanted a N5, then the op wouldn't have never traded in the phone to begin with... No value in getting screwed

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The op traded a year old phone for a brand new N7. If the op wanted a N5, then the op wouldn't have never traded in the phone to begin with... No value in getting screwed

I completely agree that the situation sucks, just trying to weigh both sides of the equation equally - in these situations it really would make sense for Samsung to also reimburse the difference between the trade in value and MSRP of the device that was originally traded so long as the person buys a device of equal to or greater value than the device they traded in. That or give you the Note 5 at trade in cost.

So if the Note 5 is $700 and you traded it in for $400 to get a Note 7 for $800, when the Note 7 goes away and you get a Note 5, they ideally could refund your $800 + the $300 difference in Note 5 costs = $1100, then you buy a $700 Note 5 and have $400 cash in your hand - which is the same that you paid initially for the 7.

Jonnny4

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat except mine was the s7 edge. Unless they offer more than a $100 compensation I will be getting an iPhone I can sell for a profit when the s8 comes out.

turnjet

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
You think if I go to Samsung and tell them how they are screwing me over, they would essentially give me a new Note 5 for the trade in value of a Note 5? May as well try, just sick of dealing with Samsung.

Also, did you guys need to give back the charger and headphones?

Last edited:

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You think if I go to Samsung and tell them how they are screwing me over, they would essentially give me a new Note 5 for the trade in value of a Note 5? May as well try, just sick of dealing with Samsung.

Also, did you guys need to give back the charger and headphones?
You don't have to give anything but the phone back.
I had to do the same thing, purchase a note 5 when I had one but now my son has it. I had to buy a used one for practically what I paid for the 7...

turnjet

Oct 15, 2016
Visit site
I guess contractually there is no reason for Samsung to do anything as the trade in could be seen as separate from the Note 7 purchase. Of course from my perspective, I wouldn't of switched to a Note 7 in hindsight but the small print would support Samsung.

Another case of getting screwed over by a big conglomerate powerhouse. Yay!

UPDATE: I just asked Samsung and they said they can do nothing, I have to buy the Note 5 at current market value.

Actually screw Samsung, I'm going to buy a Xiaomi Max (128GB version) for around what I got for my used Note 5 or 3x cheaper than the Note 7.

Sure, I'll miss the AMOLED 4K screen, IP68, stylus, iris scanner and Secure Folder... but my disgust for Samsung far surpasses any neccessity for these features.

I'm not sure if I'm simply justifying the eventual loss of my Note 7, but I'm actually excited to have a 6.4inch screen to play games and watch movies on with a 4850mAh battery that has QC 3.0, 128GB internal memory and 4GB of RAM. Plus Touchwiz is still crappy and the curved screen on the Note 7 has terrible functionality swiping.

Waterproofing isn't a deal breaker and I broke my stylus a few weeks ago and it's not that big of a deal once you adjust to fingers, especially on a 6.4inch screen! Knox can do most of what Secure Folder can do and fingerprint scanner can do what the iris scanner can albeit a bit less convenient.

The ONLY thing that i'm annoyed with is not having UHQ upscaler with music as I found it improves headphone sound with much better clarity by filling in areas of compressed sound. I'm definitely no audiophile but I'll stick with what my ears enjoy more even if it alters the recording. Sort of like using an EQ or infamous, "Crystaliser" on an X-Fi board. Just personal preference.

"UHQ Upscaler allows you get back some of the lost information through some interpolation algorithms that Samsung has developed, so it essentially guesses what frequencies were cut during compression and tries to put them back."

I was eyeing the Asus Zenfone 3 or HTC 10 but they are double the cost of the Xiaomi Max and I'm not sure the sound is actually that great. They also have terrible batteries and the Zenfone 3 Ultra is too big at 6.8inches. From what I hear, the Xiaomi Max has very clear sound at high levels, so hoping for the best.

It's not healthy and clever to be fueled by anger but I'm so angry with this I'm never actually buying another Samsung product again. You might think, oh yeah, i've heard that all before but once I promise myself something I'm stubborn as hell. I'm also under no illusion that my decision to do this will have no impact whatsoever on Samsung, I'm pretty sure they will bounce back.

More to the point, good riddance Samsung. Next on my shopping list is one of the new 65' LG OLED 4K TVs, thankfully alot easier on the wallet given the money I get back for the Note 7.

Life goes on. :D

EDIT: Just been introduced to Huawei Honor Note 8! GG

Last edited:

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Same thing here, traded in my Note 5 64gb towards the Note 7. I'm on T-Mobile Jump On Demand, it would have cost me $250 to keep the Note 5 but I didn't see the point in it so I just turned it in. Now I would have to start all over with payments on a Note 5 but all of the stores in my area only have the 32GB version so it's not even an option. Wish I had just paid the $250 to have a spare phone laying around.