Fingerprint sensor placement

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
I figured for the sake of discussion i would ask where you prefer the sensor.

I like it on the front, and my reasoning is that my phone is in a holder when its in the car, and i like being able to just reach over and unlock it instead of taking it out of the holder.

I know some of the new phones have them on the back, and it makes sense (i guess) to have it there.

Just wanted other peoples ideas on it. I never thought i would even use it as a lock because the note4 was iffy, but on the note5 i use it as the primary lock because it works so well.

Sent with my white Note5 with nonremovable back and no SDcard!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
My very reason to prefer it on the front. Having it on the back would be a nightmare if you have it in your car dock. To further my problems, my company has decided to put a lockdown on devices that have access to corporate e-mail, so now they enforce a secure lockscreen (and they'll only take fingerprint or password, no PIN or Pattern) but most importantly, they disable Smart Lock, so no automatic unlocking when I'm in my car. That means that to unlock it I need the fingerprint reader easily accessible; having it on the back would mean I'd have to input the password on the screen every time (already cumbersome when I'm swimming and I can't access the reader on my phone with the waterproof pouch).

I know the idea behind (no pun intended!) having the buttons in the back is to be ergonomically pleasing, but I'm not sure if I have weird hands or what, but the back buttons were one of the reasons I couldn't love the G4. Everyone kept saying that their fingers landed there 'naturally'... mine didn't! In fact after a few days of trying it out my fingers actually hurt from trying to reach them, either stretching or bending, but never got my fingers to be there while holding the phone comfortably.

I guess if your fingers are 'normal' and you don't have a picky company, having the sensor in the back and using Smart Lock could be a good option. Not for me though. I'm in the 'weird' category I guess.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If the only choices are front and back, I'd much prefer the back. Approximately 99.9% to .01% weight on that. I would be ok with the front only if it were not a button and Samsung still has a physical home button (its own problem) that they are doubling as the sensor, so that's a no go for me. The HTC M10 looks like it may have a sensor only and retain proper buttons (we'll see if that's accurate) and if that's the case, I could live with it - but it is coming at the cost of their front facing speakers (unacceptable) and is breaking up the design.

Another option that is typically ignored is putting it on the power button on the right side of the device. That would A) Get it out of the way of the front and back, meaning that 0 additional "buttons" or sensors are required and B) Mean that you can pick the device up or leave it lay flat or whatever - it is grip preference agnostic. Sony did this and it is probably a better idea than a back placement, although having it on the back is not really in the way and it works great in the way that Google did it (it's where your fingers are anyways).

So first choice is on the side, second choice is on the back and third choice would be on the front, but on the front is only acceptable if it is not a button and is just a small sensor, preferably muted within the front device and if it does not interfere with the device having dual front facing speakers.

My design policy is strict on this: no physical buttons are allowed anywhere on the device other than 1 power and 2 volume keys (which must be in a row on the right side of the device), no branding or markings on the front - only camera (required), sensors (some are optional) and dual front facing speakers (required). So there isn't much room for a fingerprint scanner there, although I can imagine ways for it to exist on the front and not violate the guidelines. No one has done that yet.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Again, in the 'weird' category, but I DO like the physical Home Button and I'm sooooo glad Samsung hasn't gotten rid of it. It gives me reference as to where I am on the screen when i'm not looking (just like the tiny bumps in the F and J keys on a keyboard do) and it frees screen real estate.

I didn't think about the fingerprint reader on the power button. That I could live with, I think. It would be a bit awkward to unlock with a tumb if the phone is lying on a table, but I guess you can quickly tap it with your other hand or an index finger. If you can store at least four prints, that could work for me. And most car cradles don't cover the power buttons anyway. If the power button is on the top, though, it gets a little more 'uncomfortable' to unlock while unlocking the phone, but you can still do it with an index finger I guess.

#LongLiveTheHomeButton

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
My preference is on the front. When on the desk or in the car, front usage is easiest, imo. I have used phones with both front and rear... Front seems the most convenient for me

#unban

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Again, in the 'weird' category, but I DO like the physical Home Button and I'm sooooo glad Samsung hasn't gotten rid of it. It gives me reference as to where I am on the screen when i'm not looking (just like the tiny bumps in the F and J keys on a keyboard do) and it frees screen real estate.

I didn't think about the fingerprint reader on the power button. That I could live with, I think. It would be a bit awkward to unlock with a tumb if the phone is lying on a table, but I guess you can quickly tap it with your other hand or an index finger. If you can store at least four prints, that could work for me. And most car cradles don't cover the power buttons anyway. If the power button is on the top, though, it gets a little more 'uncomfortable' to unlock while unlocking the phone, but you can still do it with an index finger I guess.

#LongLiveTheHomeButton

I like the physical buttons on the front as well. There is reason for samsung to change them. And of the opinions i have read on here i still feel the home button is the best placement, and here is why..

Having it on the power button would make having a case like an otterbox have to redesign its hard shell and compromise the protection on the side if the phone. Also, the home button, and to a point the back, center the sensor for either hand. I like having 4 fingers that will unlock the phone from any angle. ( i moved each finger in a full 360 when registering each finger).

If the sensor was on the power button it would be more cumbersome to use other fingers to unlock, where as now it doest matter if i am holding the phone with either hand.

Posted via the Android Central App

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
I prefer to keep it on the home button. And to keep the home button, one of the reasons I stay with Samsung.

calicocat2010

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
I figured for the sake of discussion i would ask where you prefer the sensor.

I like it on the front, and my reasoning is that my phone is in a holder when its in the car, and i like being able to just reach over and unlock it instead of taking it out of the holder.

THIS! That's what I prefer. It's also kind of dumb to set phone on flat surface, pick up the phone, unlock from back just to see What notification was just sent through.

Indicud

Feb 7, 2016
Visit site
Back. Seems more natural and won't be hard to access for me. The front one isn't hard to access but it feels really unnatural.

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I prefer to keep it on the home button. And to keep the home button, one of the reasons I stay with Samsung.

Ditto. I'm grabbing my phone without looking all the time, and the tactile button tells me the orientation without fumbling around much. Plus, I have an LG Tab without a front button and it drives me nuts.

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Ditto. I'm grabbing my phone without looking all the time, and the tactile button tells me the orientation without fumbling around much. Plus, I have an LG Tab without a front button and it drives me nuts.

Plus I have the bottom side up when it's in my pocket. So I reach it and grab it with my thumb on the home button, that way is unlocked and ready to go when I get it out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463