07-19-2016 07:19 PM
216 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Only advantage with a sealed embedded battery is water resistance (although even the S5 had this) and perceived aesthetics (form over function and purely subjective). Otherwise a user-replaceable battery is about functionality, more so freedom. Freedom to use the phone as hard as you want knowing there's a fully charged spare (or spares if you so choose) always at the ready to get back to an immediate full charge again (I use this often where I'm out and about all day and take a spare battery along). Freedom to use and abuse a battery without worry for its longevity since it can be easily replaced at minimal cost (no built-in obsolescence!). Freedom to never have to connect the phone itself to a charging source leaving it always untethered free to be used anytime (without a cable or charging pack connected to it).

I love all that freedom and why I consider a user-replaceable battery a must have feature! I can only hope Samsung brings it back with a future Note device or I'll be looking elsewhere when the time comes to move on from the Note 4.
    I'm actually surprised Verizon users haven't complained about the lack of second radio for simultaneous phone and data use in 3G areas. That was a major disappointment to me since the Note 5.

I love ir blaster but not enough people ever learned to use it.

I would prefer a removable battery and 128 gb internal memory. SD card not mounted popups are not acceptable to me nor is media scanning burning up my battery.

I would like the led notification light to be fully accessible to Lightflow.
    06-22-2016 10:41 AM
    I'm actually surprised Verizon users haven't complained about the lack of second radio for simultaneous phone and data use in 3G areas. That was a major disappointment to me since the Note 5.
    As a Verizon user that travels extensively for a living, including into remote areas, I can say their 4G coverage is most likely substantial enough that it's almost a non-issue. Having dual radios would be nice, but not really necessary at this point on their network.
    06-22-2016 10:46 AM
    As a Verizon user that travels extensively for a living, including into remote areas, I can say their 4G coverage is most likely substantial enough that it's almost a non-issue. Having dual radios would be nice, but not really necessary at this point on their network.
    Well I drive through 3G zones every day and if on lte call the call is dropped. Unacceptable. I'm not talking rural dirt roads either. I mean suburbs in Eastern MA.

If you have advanced lte calling activated you only need one block to be 3G along your route and call is dropped.... And forget about simultaneous data and calling

The exciting new features like curved screen and glass back do nothing for me and I miss the features I loved: controllable led notifications, ir blaster, removable battery, simultaneous calling and data wherever I had any signal at all.

The one huge improvement in recent models is the camera.
    mcm180 likes this.
    06-22-2016 10:47 AM
    Yup, Verizon's so-called Advanced Calling is so advanced it's still not as reliable as their older CDMA voice network. Such will be the case until they can make LTE as ubiquitous and reliable as that older network. This is but one more reason I hang on to my Note 4, the last Verizon phone with dual radios, that allows voice to stay on that older still more reliable network while data uses the other radio for LTE (or 3G for areas still without adequate LTE coverage), no Advanced Calling needed.
    This will never come back. Verizon is trying to shift everyone to their LTE network so one day they can shut down CDMA and re-purpose it. If Samsung was to put in dual radios I doubt Verizon would approve.
    06-22-2016 01:35 PM
    I understand that but I don't like it. Big Red has the best network but LTE sucks with weak signal. CDMA still better. I wish all providers went GSM. ATT and Tmobile even weaker than VZW in the burbs, especially in buildings. The day will come when signal strength isn't an issue but I'm afraid I'll be part of soil ecology by then.
    IMO we need ONE ultra dependable mobile network for the sake of national security right away. Sometimes competition is counter productive. Let all the providers bid for bandwidth in a truly national network we can depend on everywhere in the USA.
    06-22-2016 01:42 PM
    Ok I'll bite so what happened to the Note 6?
    06-22-2016 02:03 PM
    Ok I'll bite so what happened to the Note 6?
    They decided to skip the 6 in favor of the 7 to bring the Note and S line into parity.

Posted via the Android Central App
    pkcable likes this.
    06-22-2016 02:06 PM
    Unless it has:
    • Removeable Battery
    • microSD Support
    • IR Blaster

I'll be sticking with my Note4. I use all 3 of these daily, and losing one or more would be a dip in QoL I'm not prepared to accept.
    I would say enjoy your S4 for the rest of your life.....
    keepnitreel likes this.
    06-22-2016 02:08 PM
    This will never come back. Verizon is trying to shift everyone to their LTE network so one day they can shut down CDMA and re-purpose it. If Samsung was to put in dual radios I doubt Verizon would approve.
    If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember reading that all carriers/manufacturers are moving to single radio devices, not just Verizon.
    I would say enjoy your S4 for the rest of your life.....
    Or leap over to LG like I did. Lol
    Aquila likes this.
    06-22-2016 02:45 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember reading that all carriers/manufacturers are moving to single radio devices, not just Verizon.

Or leap over to LG like I did. Lol
    It would usually only be Verizon since carriers like AT&T / T-Mobile didn't need another radio for voice and data on the HSPA networks. The GSM radio can handle data and calls by itself. A CDMA chip can only do one task at a time.. Call or data. Therefore manufacturers did a fix since LTE wasn't like it is today and put in two chips.. One dedicated for calls and the other dedicated for data. This solved issue for CDMA carriers.
    06-22-2016 03:22 PM
    Those questions are of no importance to many. I prefer the faster internal memory and battery charging with wireless pads make replacing a battery a non-issue.
    "Making replacing a battery a non-issue" --- uh, what? When the battery begins to degrade, i'd say that's the definition of an "issue".
    Inders99 and recDNA like this.
    06-22-2016 05:28 PM
    This cycle Samsung has actually seen sales improve a bit without the replaceable battery-iPhone does well without it too. Unless a company like LG starts to overtake them, it's hard to make a business case for going back to it across the board-though it could show up in a specialized model.
    06-22-2016 06:56 PM
    I hope the new Note has Samsung's chip or I will be passing.
    06-22-2016 08:42 PM
    The curved screen on the Note 7 will be a deal-breaker. I will be keeping my Note 5 if that is the only option.
    recDNA and jboogie1289 like this.
    06-22-2016 08:55 PM
    This is why I'm happy Sprint has the Samsung forever plan. I'll be getting the new Note EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!

Verizon now has it as well

wlonsdale likes this.
    06-23-2016 12:08 AM
    Verizon now has it as well

Really?? I must've missed that announcement but I'm glad if they do offer it. Not too excited if the Note 7 only comes with an Edge tho. Was hoping for a slab instead. We'll have to wait and see.
    06-23-2016 02:41 AM
    i know how you feel my last 3 phones had non removable battery and it played on my mind that i could run out of power,i did get a portable battery booster (no real differance to carrying a spare battery) and if i was driving for i would plug my phone in to charge .i have never run out of power ,maybe things will turn back but i think alot is down to keeping costs down time will tell
    06-23-2016 09:12 AM
    "Making replacing a battery a non-issue" --- uh, what? When the battery begins to degrade, i'd say that's the definition of an "issue".
    That's pretty easily solved by taking care of the battery, using best practices while charging and avoiding being the "i need the phone to work for 10 years!" person. All batteries are replaceable, the improvements in charging tech and engineering just made it more difficult to hot swap batteries for the user. I'm personally very much against user replaceable batteries, and I realize I'm a minority on that within the forums - but the tradeoff improvements we get in exchange for the removable battery are well worth it IMO. That said, if you have a phone with a non removable battery, if it does go bad, that's typically still able to be repaired/replaced.
    wlonsdale likes this.
    06-23-2016 11:51 AM
    Based off rumours and the mock up picture we saw

The edges don't seem anywhere near as curved as the current S7 edge
    I hope not.

Posted from Android Central
    06-23-2016 12:53 PM
    That said, if you have a phone with a non removable battery, if it does go bad, that's typically still able to be repaired/replaced.
    Hmm... A few bucks for a new battery, or $75 for servicing by a shop?

I do agree with proper charging habits being key to long battery life, but I don't think the average user takes those into account. Or like in my case with an old M8. The USB port went bad, but the battery itself was still in excellent condition. Because it wasn't removable, the refurb I got came with a battery and I could tell right away it had been abused with much shorter battery life. Had it been user replaceable, I would have used my perfectly good battery in the refurb.

The refurb one also had the port go bad (I've since noticed it just seems to be a poor design based on other user accounts). Had the battery been removable, I could have used a charging cradle externally to let me keep using my phone. As it was, I didn't have a decent backup phone and had to pay off my contract in order to upgrade away from the M8. I was eligible for an early upgrade, but again due to not being able to externally charge or replace the battery, I couldn't do a proper wipe and reset of the phone before returning it. It's still sitting on a shelf at home until the day I finally get around to destroying it so there's no way to recover any of my data on it.
    06-23-2016 01:06 PM
    Note 7 August 2nd Release Date - CNET-gsmarena_001.jpg

Allegedly, Samsung took a while to figure out how the S Pen stylus will coexist with the 5.8" curved screen.
    The Rumored Phone Specs This Far:

• Super AMOLED with QHD resolution and the similarities with the S7 don't end here.
    • The phone will be powered by an overclocked version of the Exynos chipset paired with 6GB of RAM.
    • 4,000mAh
    • 12MP dual-pixel sensor, but will sport improved software. The additional features will reportedly be ported over to the S7 and S7 edge with an upgrade.
    • IP68 rating
    • Iris scanner
    • USB Type-C port

06-23-2016 02:06 PM
    Hmm... A few bucks for a new battery, or $75 for servicing by a shop?

I do agree with proper charging habits being key to long battery life, but I don't think the average user takes those into account. Or like in my case with an old M8. The USB port went bad, but the battery itself was still in excellent condition. Because it wasn't removable, the refurb I got came with a battery and I could tell right away it had been abused with much shorter battery life. Had it been user replaceable, I would have used my perfectly good battery in the refurb.

The refurb one also had the port go bad (I've since noticed it just seems to be a poor design based on other user accounts). Had the battery been removable, I could have used a charging cradle externally to let me keep using my phone. As it was, I didn't have a decent backup phone and had to pay off my contract in order to upgrade away from the M8. I was eligible for an early upgrade, but again due to not being able to externally charge or replace the battery, I couldn't do a proper wipe and reset of the phone before returning it. It's still sitting on a shelf at home until the day I finally get around to destroying it so there's no way to recover any of my data on it.
    Yep, your experience is pretty specific and so very clear why you'd disagree with me that the tradeoffs are worth it - and most users of these forums do disagree with me on that. You're not wrong, you're just not as right as me? Or something...
    06-23-2016 02:12 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gsmarena_001.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	230663

Allegedly, Samsung took a while to figure out how the S Pen stylus will coexist with the 5.8" curved screen.
    The Rumored Phone Specs This Far:

• Super AMOLED with QHD resolution and the similarities with the S7 don't end here.
    • The phone will be powered by an overclocked version of the Exynos chipset paired with 6GB of RAM.
    • 4,000mAh
    • 12MP dual-pixel sensor, but will sport improved software. The additional features will reportedly be ported over to the S7 and S7 edge with an upgrade.
    • IP68 rating
    • Iris scanner
    • USB Type-C port

If we're taking bets, my money is on exactly 5 things being bad rumors from that list. Out of curiosity, what's the source? Did the source use the S7 picture as well?
    06-23-2016 02:15 PM
    If we're taking bets, my money is on exactly 5 things being bad rumors from that list. Out of curiosity, what's the source? Did the source use the S7 picture as well?
    Yes Galaxy Note 7 to come only with 5.8" curved screen, 6GB RAM - GSMArena.com news

The pen thing is questionable. From all the sources out there there will be no flat Note 7.

That is why it is called Rumored Phone Specs
    The pen thing is questionable. From all the sources out there there will be no flat Note 7. Well This is why it called rumors you get good ones along with bad!!!
    I get Most of my info from Sammobile, This is the first I got from GSM Arena.

Here are the Specs from them:
    Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Full phone specifications

All Info. are Rumors until the Official release....
    What are the rumors you Heard?
    06-23-2016 03:05 PM
    Yes Galaxy Note 7 to come only with 5.8" curved screen, 6GB RAM - GSMArena.com news

The pen thing is questionable. From all the sources out there there will be no flat Note 7.

That is why it is called Rumored Phone Specs
    The pen thing is questionable. From all the sources out there there will be no flat Note 7. Well This is why it called rumors you get good ones along with bad!!!
    I get Most of my info from Sammobile, This is the first I got from GSM Arena.

Here are the Specs from them:
    Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Full phone specifications

All Info. are Rumors until the Official release....
    What are the rumors you Heard?
    Without a pen, I don't think they could call it a Note.
    wlonsdale likes this.
    06-23-2016 03:43 PM
216 ... 23456 ...