07-19-2016 07:19 PM
216 ... 45678 ...
tools
    Walking in or out of airport terminals and looking at all the "sealed battery slaves" lining the walls has caused me to shake my head on many occasions.
    That's funny as heck, I think the same thing when in an airport. Most of my family and friends are iPhone types, always tethered, I don't get it, they're slaves to charging devices.
    06-26-2016 06:16 AM
    Surprised this hasn't been brought up: extended batteries.

I know some people don't like having thick and heavy phones, but it's still an option with replaceable batteries. Depending on size, you can double or triple the battery capacity for extra time between charges/swaps. Just as personal preference, I actually liked the added weight and firm feel of the last phone I had one with.
    Do you have a link for a note 5 expandable battery? I never can find one. Just checked Amazon and still am having trouble finding one. Maybe my search isn't correct. Thanks in advance.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    06-26-2016 09:53 AM
    i used the mophie battery pack case for note 5. to me it has the best recharge on the few i have used. if they made a note 5 "MAX" or something with a double sized battery it would be the best, not sure why they don't do that. but back to the case... it's pretty slim but it breaks after one drop on the lower left side/ and you need an adapter for the headphone jack.... oh please bring back some sort of removable battery! i think the new MOTO add on cases are a fantastic idea!
    06-26-2016 09:58 AM
    i used the mophie battery pack case for note 5. to me it has the best recharge on the few i have used. if they made a note 5 "MAX" or something with a double sized battery it would be the best, not sure why they don't do that. but back to the case... it's pretty slim but it breaks after one drop on the lower left side/ and you need an adapter for the headphone jack.... oh please bring back some sort of removable battery! i think the new MOTO add on cases are a fantastic idea!
    I also have a Morphie battery pack. I've used a few times on the weekend. Mostly used it for my watch (forget to charge it, so I charge it on the way to work). When I get home from work, playing on my phone, I wouldn't mind being untethered. That's why I try to charge my phone before leaving work and have a 10 foot cable at home.

Posted via the *Note 5*
    06-26-2016 10:33 AM
    Never had a Note or a Galaxy S before. But I think I lean more toward the S phones. What's supposed to be the difference with the Note's?
    06-26-2016 12:40 PM
    Never had a Note or a Galaxy S before. But I think I lean more toward the S phones. What's supposed to be the difference with the Note's?
    S Pen, bigger, better specs.
    jboogie1289 likes this.
    06-26-2016 12:54 PM
    I doubt it will have removable battery very much - most likely it will be an S7 Edge with a bigger screen, pen and updated processor, more memory etc
    06-26-2016 03:49 PM
    Shame Samsung went chasing the Apple model removing such a valuable feature
    I really doubt this was a case of, "apple does this so we should". I think it is a conscious decision based on their ability to produce a much better device if they seal the battery in - but that does take it off the table for some users that haven't found ways to work around being able to hot swap batteries. Hopefully that was also calculated, because a tiny but loud section of the market is going to have to go to competitors unless they figure out mobile or more frequent charging solutions that don't hinder their ability to enjoy the device.
    06-26-2016 05:46 PM
    Okay this just made up my mind. I am only one year into a 2 year commitment with Bell on my LG G4. I have been without my G4 for 2 weeks now getting the dreaded bootloop issue fixed. I am done with LG even though it has a swapable battery. When traveling I have used the battery. I use the battery up in the airports and swap it out and I'm good for the flight. This is one aspect I will need to figure out. Likely with a battery pack.

Regardless I want something more premium. I went shopping today and almost pulled a trigger on S7 edge but wanted to mull over the hefty contract breakage fees. Now for sure I will be doing the Note 7 in August or when ever it eventually is released.
    06-26-2016 08:58 PM
    I really doubt this was a case of, "apple does this so we should". I think it is a conscious decision based on their ability to produce a much better device if they seal the battery in - but that does take it off the table for some users that haven't found ways to work around being able to hot swap batteries. Hopefully that was also calculated, because a tiny but loud section of the market is going to have to go to competitors unless they figure out mobile or more frequent charging solutions that don't hinder their ability to enjoy the device.
    A lot of phones these days have sealed batteries.

A few have removable ones, predominantly LG devices.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-26-2016 09:46 PM
    Hmmm...strange how that tiny segment influenced Samsung to bring back the SD card.

I disagree with your post. Copying Apple has been at the core of a billion dollar lawsuit against Samsung for copying many of Apples innovations. For some reason, Samsung decided to copy the "quality" of the Apple product by introducing sealed backs with glass (that's an improvement?) so they could upscale their phones. Maybe it's my age, but I don't get the fashion aspect of a tool. The thing needs to work or it's just a slab of plastic, metal, and glass.

That's a funny vid Synycalwon posted, I don't remember that but there's definitely truth to that. To me, it's a great differentiator between products.

Us "loud but tiny" section will have to give in at some point unless others like LG go back to practical devices someday. The Note series has definite benefits for those of us who use it as a productivity device so a swappable battery might have to be foregone in order to work with one...sort of the "only game in town" factor that we'd have to roll with .

However, enough noise was made with the tiny minority regarding SD cards, maybe it's a start back to practicality as people are seeing past the marketing spin these companies are putting on their new so call features.
    06-27-2016 05:21 AM
    I think the number of people upset about the missing SD card option last year are far greater than the number of people complaining about the sealed battery. If you can't get through your day on a 4,000 mAh battery, you need to look at how you use your phone. How many people spend half their day in an airport or anywhere else away from power? That means you are always on your phone. You don't take a break throughout the day to plug into an outlet or a charging bank?
    06-27-2016 05:59 AM
    I think the number of people upset about the missing SD card option last year are far greater than the number of people complaining about the sealed battery. If you can't get through your day on a 4,000 mAh battery, you need to look at how you use your phone. How many people spend half their day in an airport or anywhere else away from power? That means you are always on your phone. You don't take a break throughout the day to plug into an outlet or a charging bank?
    Maybe thats the case with the SD/battery issues. However, not fair to say you have to watch how you use your phone. Sometimes I'm in an area where there's lousy reception and the phone is working harder, what if I'm on a series of calls that cause rapid drain? Reviewing documents, writing emails, etc? I don't use my phone on time wasters like Facebook, IG, movies or any other unnecessary activity.

And how about updates? My LG ran like a champ on KK and now with MM it's garbage. I run out of power 1-2 times a week. Sometimes I'm near an outlet but my charger is at home, most times I'm working at a construction site where there's no power or time to screw around. Maybe my usage is not typical, fine...but I don't get the pushback on replaceable batteries. People make them out like they're ebola or something. If people don't want to swap that's fine, go ahead and tether with your various devices, but why the pushback on offering the option in lieu of some silly thing like fashion and a glass back?
    06-27-2016 06:18 AM
    It's important to keep in mind that everyone was dropping SD card support except LG until it was being fixed in Marshmallow - then every OEM started bringing them back. That's not a response to uproar, but to the valuation of storage options vs security and stability concerns that have now been largely addressed.
    Which phone has a 4,000 mah battery?
    It's important to keep in mind that everyone was dropping SD card support except LG until it was being fixed in Marshmallow - then every OEM started bringing them back. That's not a response to uproar, but to the valuation of storage options vs security and stability concerns that have now been largely addressed.
    But the SD card was ok for all those years until the manufacturers started to copy Apple and make these devices into status symbols and fashion accessories?
    You also mean the storage options that you have to pay for? Not much of an option IMO. Strange how I heard much complaining about losing additional storage on the phone itself vs card crashes. What about the alliances between manufacturers and cloud storage companies...no clash of interests there? The consumer got the short end of that one too at the expense of profits, now it's back.
    Sorry for being cynical at the expense of manufacturers trying to penetrate new markets and consumers. There will always be winners and losers but having been in the business world for far too long it always comes down to profits before any other factor and Apple is squarely in their crosshairs.
    06-27-2016 07:00 AM
    And believe me, a removable battery/sd card is very important to alot of people.
    If a removable battery was important to a lot of people then more companies would cater to that need. The SD card was important to enough people that Samsung brought it back for the S7, the removable battery is a non-issue for the vast majority of phone users. The world does not revolve around YOU, hence the more to non user replaceable batteries.
    wlonsdale likes this.
    06-27-2016 07:30 AM
    But the SD card was ok for all those years until the manufacturers started to copy Apple and make these devices into status symbols and fashion accessories?
    You also mean the storage options that you have to pay for? Not much of an option IMO. Strange how I heard much complaining about losing additional storage on the phone itself vs card crashes. What about the alliances between manufacturers and cloud storage companies...no clash of interests there? The consumer got the short end of that one too at the expense of profits, now it's back.
    Sorry for being cynical at the expense of manufacturers trying to penetrate new markets and consumers. There will always be winners and losers but having been in the business world for far too long it always comes down to profits before any other factor and Apple is squarely in their crosshairs.
    I guess I'm not seeing any tie to Apple on the SD card issue. Obviously Apple doesn't have them, but a lot of OEM's didn't have them. I don't think they were removed for "fashion" reasons, but for other considerations such as space, cost, performance, etc. There are fewer reasons to disinclude the SD card slot than a removable battery, so without any companies saying, "this is why we nixed it" it's difficult to draw conclusions for the exact reasons - but I'd be shocked if any OEM got rid of SD cards in order to "be more like Apple". That's just a silly and counterproductive model.
    06-27-2016 07:39 AM
    I agree. The ultimate answer is a built in battery that offers the water proofing that you desire, with enough capacity to not require swapping out. You can't make everyone happy, but a 4000 mah battery would pretty much eliminate mid day charging, in all the the most extreme circumstances.
    06-27-2016 08:31 AM
    Which phone has a 4,000 mah battery?
    My Droid Bionic has the Motorola 4000mAh extended battery.
    Ry likes this.
    06-27-2016 09:00 AM
    I agree. The ultimate answer is a built in battery that offers the water proofing that you desire, with enough capacity to not require swapping out. You can't make everyone happy, but a 4000 mah battery would pretty much eliminate mid day charging, in all the the most extreme circumstances.
    Add in the ability for easy replacement, then I may go along. I know most of the discussion has been on charging vs swapping, but I still consider a non-replaceable battery to be an additional failure point of a phone. A non-replaceable battery could last me a week and I'd still opt for one I can replace just to not have to send it in for service if it goes bad.
    06-27-2016 09:07 AM
    but I'd be shocked if any OEM got rid of SD cards in order to "be more like Apple". That's just a silly and counterproductive model.
    Really? HTC did it years ago with the "One" series. That phone got praised for its design from reviewers, but users didn't buy it. The Nexus series has NEVER had SD card support, because Google wants everything in the cloud. Apple is not alone with its lack of support for SD cards.

What has been uniquely Apple since the first iPhone is the lack of support for swappable batteries.
    pmjj likes this.
    06-27-2016 09:12 AM
    The only question thats important- Does it have a removable battery/sd card???

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...
    It will not have a removable battery, especially since it has been confirmed by Evan Blass that it will be IP68 certified water resistant. Micro SD slot was also confirmed. Yes...this is confirmed by a known leaker and has been wrong in the past but he has a good track record of being correct.
    wlonsdale likes this.
    06-27-2016 10:06 AM
    How is it going to be a August 2nd release if they are announcing it on that day? That would leave no room for pre orders!

I'd anticipate a later, maybe August 15th as previously noted, release date.
    No sure why some sites are reporting that August 2nd will be the launch day. August 2nd the date of the Samsung Unpacked (not sure if they still call it "Unpacked") event.
    06-27-2016 10:17 AM
    I hope the new Note has Samsung's chip or I will be passing.
    In the US it won't.
    06-27-2016 10:20 AM
216 ... 45678 ...