Note 7 August 2nd Release Date - CNET

Talderon

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Based on the specs provided on this page, this phone is coming with a Li-Po battery over a Li-Ion battery.

Here is a basic rundown:

If you remove the relatively voluminous plastic case with standard lithium-ion cells inside, and you instead stick flat, flexible lithium-ion polymer cells in the same amount of space, you get more power to play with in the same volume – but the basic battery technology itself is the same: lithium-ion. This is what they call “lithium-polymer” these days.

So, if you ever have two choices for purchasing a gizmo, and one has a lithium-ion battery and the other has a lithium-polymer, don’t worry: As far as you’re concerned, it’s all the same thing, but in a different package.

More details here: Lithium Polymer vs Lithium-Ion batteries: What’s the deal? | Scottie's Tech.Info

I can tell you from my RC Cars Days, I LOVE Li-Po because of the extra power you get from Li-Ion or Ni-Cad batteries of the same size. I also get longer run times and again, the POWER.

One of my cars tops out at 35Mph with Li-Ion and with Li-Po, I get 60+Mph on the same straightaway.

Not sure how this will translate for Cell Phones, but I think it's a good shot!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Based on the specs provided on this page, this phone is coming with a Li-Po battery over a Li-Ion battery.

Here is a basic rundown:

If you remove the relatively voluminous plastic case with standard lithium-ion cells inside, and you instead stick flat, flexible lithium-ion polymer cells in the same amount of space, you get more power to play with in the same volume – but the basic battery technology itself is the same: lithium-ion. This is what they call “lithium-polymer” these days.

So, if you ever have two choices for purchasing a gizmo, and one has a lithium-ion battery and the other has a lithium-polymer, don’t worry: As far as you’re concerned, it’s all the same thing, but in a different package.

More details here: Lithium Polymer vs Lithium-Ion batteries: What’s the deal? | Scottie's Tech.Info

I can tell you from my RC Cars Days, I LOVE Li-Po because of the extra power you get from Li-Ion or Ni-Cad batteries of the same size. I also get longer run times and again, the POWER.

One of my cars tops out at 35Mph with Li-Ion and with Li-Po, I get 60+Mph on the same straightaway.

Not sure how this will translate for Cell Phones, but I think it's a good shot!

My last phone was an M8 and it also used a Lipo battery. For our uses, yeah, not much difference in performance. Now if only they would allow us to charge the phones at similar rates to RC Lipo batteries. With QC2.0, we're still not even hitting a full 1C charge rate. With the modern RC's, they are regularly capable of 3C charge rates, and some supposedly 5C. My G4 has a 3000mAh battery and the thought of pushing 9-15A to the battery is a little mind boggling.

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Unless it has:
  • Removeable Battery
  • microSD Support
  • IR Blaster
I'll be sticking with my Note4. I use all 3 of these daily, and losing one or more would be a dip in QoL I'm not prepared to accept.

scribe4food

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with this. In all the decades I've had a cell phone, I've never dropped my phone in water, or suffered water damage. Water resistance isn't that big of a deal for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

don Adams

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
So I guess my question would be............. what perk do you want with your pre-order. VR goggles, a fast wireless charger or something else?

And look they changed the forum name.

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
No flat screen on the note 7
One version only...(edge)
From sammobile a couple of hours ago
Horrible decision samsung
Edge screen is horrible
Went to tmobile store, checked out the s7 edge ...beautiful phone ...fast...great camera ...
But esge screen is horrible ...terrible glare on top of the screen when trying to watch a video...what's the use of a 2k screen if you can't watch video on it????
Keeping my note 5 until something better comes alone
Very disappointed...samsung

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Only advantage with a sealed embedded battery is water resistance (although even the S5 had this) and perceived aesthetics (form over function and purely subjective). Otherwise a user-replaceable battery is about functionality, more so freedom. Freedom to use the phone as hard as you want knowing there's a fully charged spare (or spares if you so choose) always at the ready to get back to an immediate full charge again (I use this often where I'm out and about all day and take a spare battery along). Freedom to use and abuse a battery without worry for its longevity since it can be easily replaced at minimal cost (no built-in obsolescence!). Freedom to never have to connect the phone itself to a charging source leaving it always untethered free to be used anytime (without a cable or charging pack connected to it).

I love all that freedom and why I consider a user-replaceable battery a must have feature! :) I can only hope Samsung brings it back with a future Note device or I'll be looking elsewhere when the time comes to move on from the Note 4.

Agreed. I'd rather have functionality. I thought the s5 was a great phone. I loved it. More than my note 4 even. I miss Samsung's with removable batteries. I'm glad they brought sad cards back.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Here is the aforementioned Sammobile article: Galaxy Note 7 to have dual-edge curved design, no flat variant in the works - SamMobile

This is crazy, Samsung has ruined the Note line IMHO. First via a neutered Note 5, now with this! :(

Excerpt:

"nothing coming out of Korea indicates that a flat Galaxy Note 7 is on the way. Now, we’re getting what should be a second wake-up call for the non-edge crowd.

Korea is now telling us that “Samsung is not considering launching a flat screen version of the Note phone.” Samsung is having a change in strategy, with the company aiming more for profitability instead of marketshare these days without neglecting either, and the decision to go full-on with the Galaxy Note 7 edge instead of crafting a flat variant seems to be in line with the Korean giant’s new direction. Not only will the Galaxy Note 7 edge help Samsung increase its overall profit, but it will also give Samsung the opportunity to showcase its newest idea that is becoming something of a new fad"

Wouldn't an dual edge on a note make it pointless? Like what good is the stylus with two edges?

the game 161

Banned
Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
Here is the aforementioned Sammobile article: Galaxy Note 7 to have dual-edge curved design, no flat variant in the works - SamMobile

This is crazy, Samsung has ruined the Note line IMHO. First via a neutered Note 5, now with this! :(

Excerpt:

"nothing coming out of Korea indicates that a flat Galaxy Note 7 is on the way. Now, we’re getting what should be a second wake-up call for the non-edge crowd.

Korea is now telling us that “Samsung is not considering launching a flat screen version of the Note phone.” Samsung is having a change in strategy, with the company aiming more for profitability instead of marketshare these days without neglecting either, and the decision to go full-on with the Galaxy Note 7 edge instead of crafting a flat variant seems to be in line with the Korean giant’s new direction. Not only will the Galaxy Note 7 edge help Samsung increase its overall profit, but it will also give Samsung the opportunity to showcase its newest idea that is becoming something of a new fad"
The screen won't be curved like the s7 edge though

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, sure, I've never suffered water damage either..... but that was because I had to stop using my phone and stow it away or run for cover.
With water resistance, that is no longer an issue.
If we aren't getting a removable battery, then it would be nice to GET something for that sacrifice.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The screen won't be curved like the s7 edge though
Where did you see this information? Was is just from the renders of someone's recollection from a few weeks ago or something in a recent article? I didn't see anything lately. But, I am hoping that the edges are modest as well and not as curved as the s7 edge if they aren't offering a flat screen version.

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Where did you see this information? Was is just from the renders of someone's recollection from a few weeks ago or something in a recent article? I didn't see anything lately. But, I am hoping that the edges are modest as well and not as curved as the s7 edge if they aren't offering a flat screen version.

Based off rumours and the mock up picture we saw

The edges don't seem anywhere near as curved as the current S7 edge

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
ROTFLMAO Not at you personally, just the fact that after listening for a number of years about the cheap plastic, battery using IR blaster that no one uses, water issues with a removable back, etc. etc. etc. Samsung listens and produces the phone people insisted they wanted ---- now they want exactly what they complained about. Got to love human nature. LOL
Not everyone wanted it. Sales figures should have revealed that. Who the hell wants a glass back? I don't recall any cries for that.What good is it? Why not build a phone out of tissue paper? I also never heard anyone saying ir blaster ruined their phone. Many people wanted metal and dual front speakers but I don't recall any cries for glass back.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Only advantage with a sealed embedded battery is water resistance (although even the S5 had this) and perceived aesthetics (form over function and purely subjective). Otherwise a user-replaceable battery is about functionality, more so freedom. Freedom to use the phone as hard as you want knowing there's a fully charged spare (or spares if you so choose) always at the ready to get back to an immediate full charge again (I use this often where I'm out and about all day and take a spare battery along). Freedom to use and abuse a battery without worry for its longevity since it can be easily replaced at minimal cost (no built-in obsolescence!). Freedom to never have to connect the phone itself to a charging source leaving it always untethered free to be used anytime (without a cable or charging pack connected to it).

I love all that freedom and why I consider a user-replaceable battery a must have feature! :) I can only hope Samsung brings it back with a future Note device or I'll be looking elsewhere when the time comes to move on from the Note 4.
I'm actually surprised Verizon users haven't complained about the lack of second radio for simultaneous phone and data use in 3G areas. That was a major disappointment to me since the Note 5.

I love ir blaster but not enough people ever learned to use it.

I would prefer a removable battery and 128 gb internal memory. SD card not mounted popups are not acceptable to me nor is media scanning burning up my battery.

I would like the led notification light to be fully accessible to Lightflow.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually surprised Verizon users haven't complained about the lack of second radio for simultaneous phone and data use in 3G areas. That was a major disappointment to me since the Note 5.

As a Verizon user that travels extensively for a living, including into remote areas, I can say their 4G coverage is most likely substantial enough that it's almost a non-issue. Having dual radios would be nice, but not really necessary at this point on their network.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
As a Verizon user that travels extensively for a living, including into remote areas, I can say their 4G coverage is most likely substantial enough that it's almost a non-issue. Having dual radios would be nice, but not really necessary at this point on their network.
Well I drive through 3G zones every day and if on lte call the call is dropped. Unacceptable. I'm not talking rural dirt roads either. I mean suburbs in Eastern MA.

If you have advanced lte calling activated you only need one block to be 3G along your route and call is dropped.... And forget about simultaneous data and calling

The exciting new features like curved screen and glass back do nothing for me and I miss the features I loved: controllable led notifications, ir blaster, removable battery, simultaneous calling and data wherever I had any signal at all.

The one huge improvement in recent models is the camera.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yup, Verizon's so-called Advanced Calling is so advanced it's still not as reliable as their older CDMA voice network. Such will be the case until they can make LTE as ubiquitous and reliable as that older network. This is but one more reason I hang on to my Note 4, the last Verizon phone with dual radios, that allows voice to stay on that older still more reliable network while data uses the other radio for LTE (or 3G for areas still without adequate LTE coverage), no Advanced Calling needed.

This will never come back. Verizon is trying to shift everyone to their LTE network so one day they can shut down CDMA and re-purpose it. If Samsung was to put in dual radios I doubt Verizon would approve.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I understand that but I don't like it. Big Red has the best network but LTE sucks with weak signal. CDMA still better. I wish all providers went GSM. ATT and Tmobile even weaker than VZW in the burbs, especially in buildings. The day will come when signal strength isn't an issue but I'm afraid I'll be part of soil ecology by then.
IMO we need ONE ultra dependable mobile network for the sake of national security right away. Sometimes competition is counter productive. Let all the providers bid for bandwidth in a truly national network we can depend on everywhere in the USA.