Note 7 August 2nd Release Date - CNET

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Unless it has:
  • Removeable Battery
  • microSD Support
  • IR Blaster
I'll be sticking with my Note4. I use all 3 of these daily, and losing one or more would be a dip in QoL I'm not prepared to accept.

I would say enjoy your S4 for the rest of your life.....

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This will never come back. Verizon is trying to shift everyone to their LTE network so one day they can shut down CDMA and re-purpose it. If Samsung was to put in dual radios I doubt Verizon would approve.
If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember reading that all carriers/manufacturers are moving to single radio devices, not just Verizon.
I would say enjoy your S4 for the rest of your life.....
Or leap over to LG like I did. Lol

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember reading that all carriers/manufacturers are moving to single radio devices, not just Verizon.

Or leap over to LG like I did. Lol

It would usually only be Verizon since carriers like AT&T / T-Mobile didn't need another radio for voice and data on the HSPA networks. The GSM radio can handle data and calls by itself. A CDMA chip can only do one task at a time.. Call or data. Therefore manufacturers did a fix since LTE wasn't like it is today and put in two chips.. One dedicated for calls and the other dedicated for data. This solved issue for CDMA carriers.

anon(9785393)

Jan 6, 2016
Visit site
Those questions are of no importance to many. I prefer the faster internal memory and battery charging with wireless pads make replacing a battery a non-issue.

"Making replacing a battery a non-issue" --- uh, what? When the battery begins to degrade, i'd say that's the definition of an "issue".

GMC262

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
This cycle Samsung has actually seen sales improve a bit without the replaceable battery-iPhone does well without it too. Unless a company like LG starts to overtake them, it's hard to make a business case for going back to it across the board-though it could show up in a specialized model.

jboogie1289

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Verizon now has it as well

Posted via the Android Central App

Really?? I must've missed that announcement but I'm glad if they do offer it. Not too excited if the Note 7 only comes with an Edge tho. Was hoping for a slab instead. We'll have to wait and see.

will308

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
i know how you feel my last 3 phones had non removable battery and it played on my mind that i could run out of power,i did get a portable battery booster (no real differance to carrying a spare battery) and if i was driving for i would plug my phone in to charge .i have never run out of power ,maybe things will turn back but i think alot is down to keeping costs down time will tell

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
"Making replacing a battery a non-issue" --- uh, what? When the battery begins to degrade, i'd say that's the definition of an "issue".

That's pretty easily solved by taking care of the battery, using best practices while charging and avoiding being the "i need the phone to work for 10 years!" person. All batteries are replaceable, the improvements in charging tech and engineering just made it more difficult to hot swap batteries for the user. I'm personally very much against user replaceable batteries, and I realize I'm a minority on that within the forums - but the tradeoff improvements we get in exchange for the removable battery are well worth it IMO. That said, if you have a phone with a non removable battery, if it does go bad, that's typically still able to be repaired/replaced.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That said, if you have a phone with a non removable battery, if it does go bad, that's typically still able to be repaired/replaced.
Hmm... A few bucks for a new battery, or $75 for servicing by a shop?

I do agree with proper charging habits being key to long battery life, but I don't think the average user takes those into account. Or like in my case with an old M8. The USB port went bad, but the battery itself was still in excellent condition. Because it wasn't removable, the refurb I got came with a battery and I could tell right away it had been abused with much shorter battery life. Had it been user replaceable, I would have used my perfectly good battery in the refurb.

The refurb one also had the port go bad (I've since noticed it just seems to be a poor design based on other user accounts). Had the battery been removable, I could have used a charging cradle externally to let me keep using my phone. As it was, I didn't have a decent backup phone and had to pay off my contract in order to upgrade away from the M8. I was eligible for an early upgrade, but again due to not being able to externally charge or replace the battery, I couldn't do a proper wipe and reset of the phone before returning it. It's still sitting on a shelf at home until the day I finally get around to destroying it so there's no way to recover any of my data on it.

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
gsmarena_001.jpg

Allegedly, Samsung took a while to figure out how the S Pen stylus will coexist with the 5.8" curved screen.
The Rumored Phone Specs This Far:

• Super AMOLED with QHD resolution and the similarities with the S7 don't end here.
  • The phone will be powered by an overclocked version of the Exynos chipset paired with 6GB of RAM.
  • 4,000mAh
  • 12MP dual-pixel sensor, but will sport improved software. The additional features will reportedly be ported over to the S7 and S7 edge with an upgrade.
  • IP68 rating
  • Iris scanner
  • USB Type-C port

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... A few bucks for a new battery, or $75 for servicing by a shop?

I do agree with proper charging habits being key to long battery life, but I don't think the average user takes those into account. Or like in my case with an old M8. The USB port went bad, but the battery itself was still in excellent condition. Because it wasn't removable, the refurb I got came with a battery and I could tell right away it had been abused with much shorter battery life. Had it been user replaceable, I would have used my perfectly good battery in the refurb.

The refurb one also had the port go bad (I've since noticed it just seems to be a poor design based on other user accounts). Had the battery been removable, I could have used a charging cradle externally to let me keep using my phone. As it was, I didn't have a decent backup phone and had to pay off my contract in order to upgrade away from the M8. I was eligible for an early upgrade, but again due to not being able to externally charge or replace the battery, I couldn't do a proper wipe and reset of the phone before returning it. It's still sitting on a shelf at home until the day I finally get around to destroying it so there's no way to recover any of my data on it.

Yep, your experience is pretty specific and so very clear why you'd disagree with me that the tradeoffs are worth it - and most users of these forums do disagree with me on that. You're not wrong, you're just not as right as me? :p Or something...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Allegedly, Samsung took a while to figure out how the S Pen stylus will coexist with the 5.8" curved screen.
The Rumored Phone Specs This Far:

• Super AMOLED with QHD resolution and the similarities with the S7 don't end here.
  • The phone will be powered by an overclocked version of the Exynos chipset paired with 6GB of RAM.
  • 4,000mAh
  • 12MP dual-pixel sensor, but will sport improved software. The additional features will reportedly be ported over to the S7 and S7 edge with an upgrade.
  • IP68 rating
  • Iris scanner
  • USB Type-C port

If we're taking bets, my money is on exactly 5 things being bad rumors from that list. Out of curiosity, what's the source? Did the source use the S7 picture as well?

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
If we're taking bets, my money is on exactly 5 things being bad rumors from that list. Out of curiosity, what's the source? Did the source use the S7 picture as well?
Yes Galaxy Note 7 to come only with 5.8" curved screen, 6GB RAM - GSMArena.com news

The pen thing is questionable. From all the sources out there there will be no flat Note 7.

That is why it is called Rumored Phone Specs
The pen thing is questionable. From all the sources out there there will be no flat Note 7. Well This is why it called rumors you get good ones along with bad!!!
I get Most of my info from Sammobile, This is the first I got from GSM Arena.

Here are the Specs from them:
Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Full phone specifications

All Info. are Rumors until the Official release....
What are the rumors you Heard?

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes Galaxy Note 7 to come only with 5.8" curved screen, 6GB RAM - GSMArena.com news

The pen thing is questionable. From all the sources out there there will be no flat Note 7.

That is why it is called Rumored Phone Specs
The pen thing is questionable. From all the sources out there there will be no flat Note 7. Well This is why it called rumors you get good ones along with bad!!!
I get Most of my info from Sammobile, This is the first I got from GSM Arena.

Here are the Specs from them:
Samsung Galaxy Note7 - Full phone specifications

All Info. are Rumors until the Official release....
What are the rumors you Heard?

Without a pen, I don't think they could call it a Note.