Note 7 August 2nd Release Date - CNET

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
This is the first note I'm considering. Everyone in the forums knows I'm no fan of Samsung, but I think this might be one beast of a phone.
The Note Series is the best Samsung has put out. I have been a fan since the Note 3. I use mine for work and play. The pin is great for taking notes getting signatures for reports and credit card transactions. I even plug mine in at work for overhead projector demonstrations in meetings. The best phone I ever invested in. Never got the Note 5. It was not good enough to upgrade from my Note 4 which is still running like a champ. Note 5 did not have a better battery and no Microsd card. To me it was not worth the upgrade. This Note 7 from all the Rumors is looking to be an Monster. I am so looking to pick this one up day 1.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
According to Evan Blass, the Note 7 will possibly have the following;
  • 5.7-inch QHD Super AMOLED display
  • 64GB of UFS storage + microSD card slot
  • 12MP main camera with Dual Pixel autofocus (same one from the S7) + 5MP front camera
  • IP68 certification
  • Black, silver and blue color options available
  • Iris Scanner
Hoping the battery is around 4000mAh or larger. Shaping up to be quite the phone.
image.jpeg

LiveFaith

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
No need to be sedentary as there are fast charge mobile charging pacs, battery containing phone cases, fast charge vehicle chargers, and wireless chargers in more and more retail businesses. Before wireless charging was available for Samsung phones I carried spare batteries, a real nuisance as far as I was concerned. A pocket full of spare parts. And after wireless charging backs were available for Samsung phones I purchased the the backs and spare batteries. But wireless charging and vehicle chargers removed the need to ever use the pocket full of spare batteries. Batteries sealed in the phone allowed for metal and glass phone construction most folks were asking for, no need to have a spare battery or two for each model phone a person uses as well as separate battery chargers for each battery size. From the fact that the Note 5 is the most popular phone in the US beating out all others including iPhones I would suggest that either most of us are "sedentary" or most of us prefer the advantages of a phone with a sealed battery over a phone with a removable back cover to allow batteries to be swapped out.

Not one of the charging solutions that you have mentioned is capable of the benefits of swappable batteries. None of them can charge a phone from 0% -> 100% in 30-45 seconds. Nothing even comes close to that. Being able to swap fresh batteries is LIBERATION from pads, cradles, cords, packs, and portables. One (or 2 or 5) super slim charged battery in pocket, briefcase, bag, desk, or work area keeps a user humming along with zero worries about battery life or battery life daily planning.

Swappable battery usage is not necessary for some. But, it is liberating for most. The reason so many are phasing out it that the average user (even those with swappable batteries) have either not considered the benefits or don't understand them. I was one of those people through 3-4 years of smartphones. Then 1/2 way thru my first Nexus phone, I tried swapping and fell in love with the liberation. Have lived free of battery worries ever since. Well, at least until I begrudgingly got the Note 5 last year. That is the major downgrade in an otherwise awesome device.

Walking in or out of airport terminals and looking at all the "sealed battery slaves" lining the walls has caused me to shake my head on many occasions. Even after watching a full length movie on the plane and going to 5% battery ... I just swap on landing and have 100% in 45 seconds of rebooting. While many improved things are available, nothing on the market matches the capability of a swappable battery.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Surprised this hasn't been brought up: extended batteries.

I know some people don't like having thick and heavy phones, but it's still an option with replaceable batteries. Depending on size, you can double or triple the battery capacity for extra time between charges/swaps. Just as personal preference, I actually liked the added weight and firm feel of the last phone I had one with.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Walking in or out of airport terminals and looking at all the "sealed battery slaves" lining the walls has caused me to shake my head on many occasions.

That's funny as heck, I think the same thing when in an airport. Most of my family and friends are iPhone types, always tethered, I don't get it, they're slaves to charging devices.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Surprised this hasn't been brought up: extended batteries.

I know some people don't like having thick and heavy phones, but it's still an option with replaceable batteries. Depending on size, you can double or triple the battery capacity for extra time between charges/swaps. Just as personal preference, I actually liked the added weight and firm feel of the last phone I had one with.

Do you have a link for a note 5 expandable battery? I never can find one. Just checked Amazon and still am having trouble finding one. Maybe my search isn't correct. Thanks in advance.

Posted via the *Note 5*

deankaltsas

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
i used the mophie battery pack case for note 5. to me it has the best recharge on the few i have used. if they made a note 5 "MAX" or something with a double sized battery it would be the best, not sure why they don't do that. but back to the case... it's pretty slim but it breaks after one drop on the lower left side/ and you need an adapter for the headphone jack.... oh please bring back some sort of removable battery! i think the new MOTO add on cases are a fantastic idea!

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
i used the mophie battery pack case for note 5. to me it has the best recharge on the few i have used. if they made a note 5 "MAX" or something with a double sized battery it would be the best, not sure why they don't do that. but back to the case... it's pretty slim but it breaks after one drop on the lower left side/ and you need an adapter for the headphone jack.... oh please bring back some sort of removable battery! i think the new MOTO add on cases are a fantastic idea!

I also have a Morphie battery pack. I've used a few times on the weekend. Mostly used it for my watch (forget to charge it, so I charge it on the way to work). When I get home from work, playing on my phone, I wouldn't mind being untethered. That's why I try to charge my phone before leaving work and have a 10 foot cable at home.

Posted via the *Note 5*

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it will have removable battery very much - most likely it will be an S7 Edge with a bigger screen, pen and updated processor, more memory etc

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Shame Samsung went chasing the Apple model removing such a valuable feature

I really doubt this was a case of, "apple does this so we should". I think it is a conscious decision based on their ability to produce a much better device if they seal the battery in - but that does take it off the table for some users that haven't found ways to work around being able to hot swap batteries. Hopefully that was also calculated, because a tiny but loud section of the market is going to have to go to competitors unless they figure out mobile or more frequent charging solutions that don't hinder their ability to enjoy the device.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
Okay this just made up my mind. I am only one year into a 2 year commitment with Bell on my LG G4. I have been without my G4 for 2 weeks now getting the dreaded bootloop issue fixed. I am done with LG even though it has a swapable battery. When traveling I have used the battery. I use the battery up in the airports and swap it out and I'm good for the flight. This is one aspect I will need to figure out. Likely with a battery pack.

Regardless I want something more premium. I went shopping today and almost pulled a trigger on S7 edge but wanted to mull over the hefty contract breakage fees. Now for sure I will be doing the Note 7 in August or when ever it eventually is released.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I really doubt this was a case of, "apple does this so we should". I think it is a conscious decision based on their ability to produce a much better device if they seal the battery in - but that does take it off the table for some users that haven't found ways to work around being able to hot swap batteries. Hopefully that was also calculated, because a tiny but loud section of the market is going to have to go to competitors unless they figure out mobile or more frequent charging solutions that don't hinder their ability to enjoy the device.
A lot of phones these days have sealed batteries.

A few have removable ones, predominantly LG devices.

Posted via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Hmmm...strange how that tiny segment influenced Samsung to bring back the SD card.

I disagree with your post. Copying Apple has been at the core of a billion dollar lawsuit against Samsung for copying many of Apples innovations. For some reason, Samsung decided to copy the "quality" of the Apple product by introducing sealed backs with glass (that's an improvement?) so they could upscale their phones. Maybe it's my age, but I don't get the fashion aspect of a tool. The thing needs to work or it's just a slab of plastic, metal, and glass.

That's a funny vid Synycalwon posted, I don't remember that but there's definitely truth to that. To me, it's a great differentiator between products.

Us "loud but tiny" section will have to give in at some point unless others like LG go back to practical devices someday. The Note series has definite benefits for those of us who use it as a productivity device so a swappable battery might have to be foregone in order to work with one...sort of the "only game in town" factor that we'd have to roll with .

However, enough noise was made with the tiny minority regarding SD cards, maybe it's a start back to practicality as people are seeing past the marketing spin these companies are putting on their new so call features.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I think the number of people upset about the missing SD card option last year are far greater than the number of people complaining about the sealed battery. If you can't get through your day on a 4,000 mAh battery, you need to look at how you use your phone. How many people spend half their day in an airport or anywhere else away from power? That means you are always on your phone. You don't take a break throughout the day to plug into an outlet or a charging bank?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
I think the number of people upset about the missing SD card option last year are far greater than the number of people complaining about the sealed battery. If you can't get through your day on a 4,000 mAh battery, you need to look at how you use your phone. How many people spend half their day in an airport or anywhere else away from power? That means you are always on your phone. You don't take a break throughout the day to plug into an outlet or a charging bank?

Maybe thats the case with the SD/battery issues. However, not fair to say you have to watch how you use your phone. Sometimes I'm in an area where there's lousy reception and the phone is working harder, what if I'm on a series of calls that cause rapid drain? Reviewing documents, writing emails, etc? I don't use my phone on time wasters like Facebook, IG, movies or any other unnecessary activity.

And how about updates? My LG ran like a champ on KK and now with MM it's garbage. I run out of power 1-2 times a week. Sometimes I'm near an outlet but my charger is at home, most times I'm working at a construction site where there's no power or time to screw around. Maybe my usage is not typical, fine...but I don't get the pushback on replaceable batteries. People make them out like they're ebola or something. If people don't want to swap that's fine, go ahead and tether with your various devices, but why the pushback on offering the option in lieu of some silly thing like fashion and a glass back?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's important to keep in mind that everyone was dropping SD card support except LG until it was being fixed in Marshmallow - then every OEM started bringing them back. That's not a response to uproar, but to the valuation of storage options vs security and stability concerns that have now been largely addressed.

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site

Which phone has a 4,000 mah battery?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800