Note 7 August 2nd Release Date - CNET

wlonsdale

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm...strange how that tiny segment influenced Samsung to bring back the SD card.

I disagree with your post. Copying Apple has been at the core of a billion dollar lawsuit against Samsung for copying many of Apples innovations. For some reason, Samsung decided to copy the "quality" of the Apple product by introducing sealed backs with glass (that's an improvement?) so they could upscale their phones. Maybe it's my age, but I don't get the fashion aspect of a tool. The thing needs to work or it's just a slab of plastic, metal, and glass.

That's a funny vid Synycalwon posted, I don't remember that but there's definitely truth to that. To me, it's a great differentiator between products.

Us "loud but tiny" section will have to give in at some point unless others like LG go back to practical devices someday. The Note series has definite benefits for those of us who use it as a productivity device so a swappable battery might have to be foregone in order to work with one...sort of the "only game in town" factor that we'd have to roll with .

However, enough noise was made with the tiny minority regarding SD cards, maybe it's a start back to practicality as people are seeing past the marketing spin these companies are putting on their new so call features.

It's far easier to ip68 certify a phone with an SD card slot than one with a removable battery. The battery is already high quality.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's far easier to ip68 certify a phone with an SD card slot than one with a removable battery. The battery is already high quality.
AFAIK, the highest a phone with a removable battery can go is IP67, like the GS5, but it needed a gasket and having the back cover completely closed.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

If water resistance is flavor of the day I get it, wasn't long ago that they were differentiating from wall huggers. As ThrottleJohnny pointed out and I alluded to in an earlier post, this is about revenue capture, not practicality and common sense.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I will still install Google Now Launcher -- I am sure of this! :D.
Good Lock and Nova is going on for me. Add in a dark Material theme (which will actually complement the new UI nicely) and I think I've got one phone that might make people think I installed a stock Android-based ROM on it. xD

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Good Lock and Nova is going on for me. Add in a dark Material theme (which will actually complement the new UI nicely) and I think I've got one phone that might make people think I installed a stock Android-based ROM on it. xD

I did similar (theme wise). I installed a dark theme then threw on Google Now Launcher. I used to use Nova but after using my 6P I just got really adjusted to GNL.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I did similar (theme wise). I installed a dark theme then threw on Google Now Launcher. I used to use Nova but after using my 6P I just got really adjusted to GNL.
I'm not big on GNL, personally.

I understand why people like to use it, but for me, it's just pretty bare. I love to tinker around with my phone, so it's obviously not for me. Thank goodness for choice. ;)

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
A new leak from Russian leaker Eldar Murtazin claims the 3,600 mAh Galaxy Note 7 battery will get you 20.5 hours of video playback at max brightness, indicating he has either seen documentation himself or spoken to someone internally. So this phone might have an 3600 mah and not a 4000 mah. :mad::(

Source

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not big on GNL, personally.

I understand why people like to use it, but for me, it's just pretty bare. I love to tinker around with my phone, so it's obviously not for me. Thank goodness for choice. ;)
I like the Google now screen on the left, but dont like the launcher otherwise because can't icon pack.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A new leak from Russian leaker Eldar Murtazin claims the 3,600 mAh Galaxy Note 7 battery will get you 20.5 hours of video playback at max brightness, indicating he has either seen documentation himself or spoken to someone internally. So this phone might have an 3600 mah and not a 4000 mah. :mad::(

Source
Any idea how that 20.5 hours compares to other devices? 3600 isn't enormous but it's pretty big. And 90% of 4000, so while that's a difference, if people are used to 6 hours of SOT, that extra 400 mAh would only equate to roughly 35 minutes of extra usage. S-Pen has to go somewhere

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Any idea how that 20.5 hours compares to other devices? 3600 isn't enormous but it's pretty big. And 90% of 4000, so while that's a difference, if people are used to 6 hours of SOT, that extra 400 mAh would only equate to roughly 35 minutes of extra usage. S-Pen has to go somewhere
According to Android Authority's test, the S7e with the same-size battery could last for around 17 hours while playing back the same 5-minute video over and over again at 50% brightness in airplane mode.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s7-s7-edge-battery-life-review-689224/
"In this test, the Galaxy S7 was already the clear leader with an average Video Playback battery life of 15 hours and 11 minutes, but the Galaxy S7 Edge tops this further, scoring an average of 17 hours and 42 minutes. Consider that the Nexus 6P only scores 6 hours and 57 minutes, the Galaxy S7 Edge is certainly impressive with a battery that’s only 150mAh larger but lasts a whopping 10 hours and 45 minutes longer, at 17 hours and 42 minutes."

I'm not sure how the Note 7 would top that with the same capacity battery, especially since it's probably using similar (albeit clocked higher) processors. Either that's a huge "best-case" scenario, or Samsung has optimized the OS and power-consumption of other hardware like the display in a big way. Maybe they even added their own "Sensor Hub", like on the Nexus 6P and 5X.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC