unlocked note 7

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Read an article about unlocked phones not having all the bloatware that comes on att phone. Never used other carriers, not familiar with others.
Just wondered if anyone knew if this is true and how you would then use carrier of choice?
I'm not a techy person. Lol

Posted from Android Central

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did you mean to post this in the Note 7 forum, when the Note 6 isn't even out yet?

It depends on what you mean by unlocked phones. An unlocked phone that was never meant to be sold by a carrier won't have any of the carrier bloat, although it may still have plenty of manufacturer bloat. But a phone that was originally sold through a carrier (and therefore has all of the carrier bloat) can still be unlocked, and therefore labeled as "unlocked" in a sale listing.

If you get an unlocked phone, you have to make sure that it supports the network bands that your carrier uses. You can find this out by looking at the phone's specs in the sale listing, and then cross-referencing with the carrier's bands (search the web for "[carrier name] network bands."). If there's overlap, then it should be as simple as buying a SIM card from the carrier and inserting it into the phone. Make sure the SIM card size matches what the phone takes, since there are a few different sizes.

What I described above is how it works for GSM networks (like AT&T and T-Mobile). It can be a little trickier with CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint, since the CDMA network doesn't use SIM cards--it requires the carrier to activate the phone.

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Did you mean to post this in the Note 7 forum, when the Note 6 isn't even out yet?

It depends on what you mean by unlocked phones. An unlocked phone that was never meant to be sold by a carrier won't have any of the carrier bloat, although it may still have plenty of manufacturer bloat. But a phone that was originally sold through a carrier (and therefore has all of the carrier bloat) can still be unlocked, and therefore labeled as "unlocked" in a sale listing.

If you get an unlocked phone, you have to make sure that it supports the network bands that your carrier uses. You can find this out by looking at the phone's specs in the sale listing, and then cross-referencing with the carrier's bands (search the web for "[carrier name] network bands."). If there's overlap, then it should be as simple as buying a SIM card from the carrier and inserting it into the phone. Make sure the SIM card size matches what the phone takes, since there are a few different sizes.

What I described above is how it works for GSM networks (like AT&T and T-Mobile). It can be a little trickier with CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint, since the CDMA network doesn't use SIM cards--it requires the carrier to activate the phone.

Yes, I realize it's not out yet. Guess I meant phone in general.
Was just wondering if there was an advantage to buying unlocked and how I would ensure it would work.
Thanks for your answer.

Posted from Android Central

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
"What I described above is how it works for GSM networks (like AT&T and T-Mobile). It can be a little trickier with CDMA networks like Verizon and Sprint, since the CDMA network doesn't use SIM cards--it requires the carrier to activate the phone."

In my experience the above statement is true, but not accurate, at least with US carrier Verizon. You do indeed have to activate the phone with an installed carrier SIM card. If you don't have a SIM card installed in the phone you can't activate that phone. If you move the SIM card activated in a first phone to a second phone you have to reactivate the SIM card in the second phone. If and when you re-install the SIM card in the first phone you have to activate it again.However, you must have a SIM card installed.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
A locked phone means your on a plan paying for the phone.
When you pay for it like on three next plan you can call and get a unlock code.
What advantage this has I can't tell you
I got my S7E on the next plan.
Paid on it 3 months and walked in and paid it off
Got the unlock code and unlocked it..nothing changed.
Same old same old junk apps you can't delete like the game apps.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
A locked phone means your on a plan paying for the phone.
When you pay for it like on three next plan you can call and get a unlock code.
What advantage this has I can't tell you
I got my S7E on the next plan.
Paid on it 3 months and walked in and paid it off
Got the unlock code and unlocked it..nothing changed.
Same old same old junk apps you can't delete like the game apps.

Well this is true with carrier purchased phones but I believe what is meant by an unlocked phone you purchase from Samsung (or through retailers like Best Buy selling unlocked phones out of the box) is that you are getting an international model that will be updated directly from Samsung and not have to wait for carrier modifications and carrier software. And it may have the international version Exynos chip instead of the SnapDragon chip.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Is Enos chip better than snap dragon ?
And does the phone cost more.
And if you have a problem with the phone. Who warrants it ?
And who would you take it to with problems?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Exynos gets better battery life on the s7Edge compared to the snapdragon version. Snapdragon seems to be falling behind and hope samsung goes all exynos like they did with the s6 for the note. Snapdragon has been a disappointment on the s7 line.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site

My guess is that Samsung warrants the phone as you are buying directly from the OEM even if you get it through a retailer, like a new car. I would guess you would send it to a Samsung service center.
The cost of the S7 and S7 edge unlocked phones cost exactly the same as the carrier locked versions from what pricing information I have seen.

cardboard60

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
My guess is that Samsung warrants the phone as you are buying directly from the OEM even if you get it through a retailer, like a new car. I would guess you would send it to a Samsung service center.
The cost of the S7 and S7 edge unlocked phones cost exactly the same as the carrier locked versions from what pricing information I have seen.

So where would you buy one of these phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid