The rumored USB Type-C port on the Note 7

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
So, it seems that a USB Type-C port might be making its way to the Note 7 after its absence on the Galaxy S7 according to rumors. However, there's a question that is still in my head.

DSC03139.jpg
Samsung flagship phones since the Note 4 have their own take on fast-charging called "Adaptive Fast Charging". It's similar in many ways to Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0, to the point where the phone can even utilize QC 2.0 on supported wallwarts. Putting something like that on microUSB is fine. But what about USB Type-C?

I think we've all seen Jerry's experience with the HTC 10 and the Pixel C wallwart, where his 10 was pretty damn close to certain death as his phone did not do what it was supposed to do in order to ensure safe charging, and the implementation of QC 3.0 on a Type-C port was to blame as it 'hijacked' some data points on the port and also exceeded the volts requirement outlined in the Type-C guidelines. The Nexus phones use USB Power Delivery, by comparison.

The question now is what will Samsung do to the Note 7 in relation to its Type-C port and charging. Will they update their own fast-charging standard to be like QC 3.0 and possibly risk not complying with USB-C certification? Or will they completely retune their own fast-charging standard so that it meets USB-C certification or maybe just use USB Power Delivery instead?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
All excellent questions....but I really would like some version of Qualcomm 3.0 before purchasing. If I purchase.

beh

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The real question, in my mind, is will Samsung actually use the type C port after purposely not doing so on the S7 series.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Is QC 3.0 that much faster than 2.0?

The max current is the same (18W); the major improvement is making charging more efficient and cooler on the batteries. I think QC said that 3 is around 30-40% more efficient than 2. The problem here is that QC 3.0 with USB C = fire hazard for devices that have QC 3.0 enabled and have chargers that can exceed the amperage it is expecting.

Traditionally Samsung has used a high-volt/low-amp adaptive charging method that will face the same problems that HTC/LG did unless they carefully avoid the same mistakes. On the S7 Edge it would fluctuate between a 9V/1.67A or 5V/2A current - neither of those number are necessarily a problem, being 15W and 10W respectively and both being easily within the limits of USB C- but you'll recognize that same 9V/1.67A number from HTC's USB C with QC 3.0 - and so hopefully Samsung is going to adopt USB C standards with fast charging and power delivery (the Nexus 6P charges at 98% of the speed as QC 3.0) - or they'll put controls in to make sure they avoid the same pitfalls that HTC did, which was bad software control over charging that results in a broken charging solution, which can lead to damage, injury and death.

Best options in order:
1. USB C spec followed with Power Delivery
2. USB C spec followed with no Power Delivery
3. USB C spec followed with Adaptive Fast Charging updated for USB C
4. USB C spec followed with solution like OnePlus 3's Dash Charge
5. USB C spec followed with no fast charging at all

Unfortunately QC 3 cannot be used without Qualcomm fixing it or it's a major ding against the device. :( And it doesn't help, as indicated earlier - QC 3 charges at 102% the speed of using a plain old 5V/3A USB C charger with no proprietary software at all.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Best options in order:
1. USB C spec followed with Power Delivery
2. USB C spec followed with no Power Delivery
3. USB C spec followed with Adaptive Fast Charging updated for USB C
4. USB C spec followed with solution like OnePlus 3's Dash Charge
5. USB C spec followed with no fast charging at all

Unfortunately QC 3 cannot be used without Qualcomm fixing it or it's a major ding against the device. :( And it doesn't help, as indicated earlier - QC 3 charges at 102% the speed of using a plain old 5V/3A USB C charger with no proprietary software at all.
I honestly hope Samsung's decision to stick with microUSB on the S7, aside from maintaining GearVR support, is so they could also do their homework on USB-C and how to properly adopt quick-charging on it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I honestly hope Samsung's decision to stick with microUSB on the S7, aside from maintaining GearVR support, is so they could also do their homework on USB-C and how to properly adopt quick-charging on it.
Samsung isn't my favorite design language, but they're a good OEM and they're never reckless or stupid. Here's to smartmaking!

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Wait, you do or do not want Quick Charge 3.0?

I do. IN particular, I'd rather not buy something that is about to be outdated. Plus, from what I'm hearing, if I do buy Samsung N. 7--at the moment, I'd say not-- there is no removable battery. So, the faster it charges the better and issues like that become ever more important, assuming I bite that bullet.

Of course, now I've read your posts and I guess there is some question as to the ability to really use it--but let's say in THEORY I'd like faster charging. Who wouldn't? :) Maybe this is another good reason to sit out another upgrade cycle.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I do. IN particular, I'd rather not buy something that is about to be outdated. Plus, from what I'm hearing, if I do buy Samsung N. 7--at the moment, I'd say not-- there is no removable battery. So, the faster it charges the better and issues like that become ever more important, assuming I bite that bullet.

Of course, now I've read your posts and I guess there is some question as to the ability to really use it--but let's say in THEORY I'd like faster charging. Who wouldn't? :) Maybe this is another good reason to sit out another upgrade cycle.

What benefit are you looking for from QC 3.0 if it barley goes any faster than 2.0? I personally wouldn't base a purchase solely on if it can charge 10 minutes quicker or something like that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Fast charging isn't dependant on Quick Charge. Samsung, One Plus, Google and others do it every day without quick charge.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Are Exynos-powered Samsung devices that support Samsung's Adaptive Fast Charging just licensed Quick Charge 2.0 devices without the need for a Snapdragon?

http://m.gsmarena.com/charge_test-review-1239p2.php

Other quick charging solutions

Samsung Fast Charge solution is no different than Qualcomm's Quick Charge 2.0. Samsung uses its own Exynos chipset for the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge so you'd reckon they didn't have the luxury of relying on Qualcomm's ready-made solution that comes with Snapdragon processors. Or did they?

After some research we found out that Qualcomm is actually offering their Quick Charge 2.0 technology to third-party OEMs royalty free. All they have to do is integrate the extra Power management integrated circuit into their designs.

The Galaxy S6 duo ships with the same 9V/1.67A chargers that you would get with their certified Qualcomm Quick Charge 2.0 products such as the Galaxy Note 4. Note that Samsung labels its compatible chargers with "Adaptive Fast Charging."

Intel seems to be using Qualcomm's Fast Charging 2.0 tech as well. What we found out is that the Asus Zenfone 2 ZE551ML for instance, even exceeds the standard specs. Its charger is capable of supplying up to 9V/2A current or up to 16W charging power. Asus has dubbed their tech ASUS BoostMaster Technology, but for all we know, it's just a marketing name and not a new quick charging technology of their own.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
What benefit are you looking for from QC 3.0 if it barley goes any faster than 2.0? I personally wouldn't base a purchase solely on if it can charge 10 minutes quicker or something like that.

If that's how it turns out, agreed. If Samsung has their own response that works as well, also agreed.But there seems to be a lot tossed up in the air. I like "settled" not "confused." :)

james_1980

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
USB-C on the note 7 is a deal breaker for me.

With intensive use it cannot simply charge fast enough over USB-micro (even a 2 amp oem charger) in order to put a meaningful amount of power into it in a reasonable time.

www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/07/02/galaxy-note-7-images/

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
USB-C on the note 7 is a deal breaker for me.

With intensive use it cannot simply charge fast enough over USB-micro (even a 2 amp oem charger) in order to put a meaningful amount of power into it in a reasonable time.

Forbes Welcome
Doesn't USB PD charge relatively quickly? I mean, the 6P doesn't exactly have the world's fastest charger, but it's not a slow charger.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't USB PD charge relatively quickly? I mean, the 6P doesn't exactly have the world's fastest charger, but it's not a slow charger.
98% of the speed of QuickCharge 3.0. Part of the reason is its a max 15W current vs a Max 15.3W current in all implementations that have been released on flagships. Technically QC3.0 can get up to 18W, but the max safe current for USB C with PD is actually 100W .... so, there's that.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
One thing to bear in mind as you contemplate all the possible combinations.

Quick Charge is a method of charging. You can have 50 Volts at 100 Amps available, but charge the phone at 5 Volts at 3 Amps.

A type C port is a port type - like RS-232, 3.5mm coaxial, etc. Depending on the materials used, you can use any voltage at any current.

One has almost nothing to do with the other. Manufacturers use "Type C" or QC 2.0 interchangeably - but that doesn't mean that they are. Putting 50 pounds of air pressure in your tires won't get you 60mpg.

Rate each manufacturer alone. Hoe much can it charge long-term (from 10% [which is theoretical - you never want to do that to a Lithium battery] in one hour? How long until it charges from 20% to 100% (and that includes the 15 minutes of top-off at the end)?

With Lithium batteries, we're not going to see 5 minute charges from 0 to 100% - unless you're satisfied wit 1 or 2 charges before you need a new battery. (The auto industry has spent billions trying to solve he problem. I think they've invented a dot at the end of a sentence in 5 years.) We need a non-dense lead-acid battery to solve the problem, and lead only comes in a form that's a LOT denser than Lithium. (You can't change the watts/pound of a substance - that's tied to its atomic structure. Small batteries that can supply a lot of power are heavy. Not Note 7 heavy, many pounds heavy. Carry a motorcycle battery around all day - I'd rather not.)

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Returning to USB-C issues in general...how does this affect current OTG flash drives? I presume there will need to be a new connector or will the micro usb end still work?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: What phone coming out might make you pass on the note 7?

I kind of hate to replace all my usb accessories with usb c compatible ones. Waste of effort and $.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user