The rumored USB Type-C port on the Note 7

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: What phone coming out might make you pass on the note 7?

I disagree here. If major phones swap to it .. the general mass will swap as well.
If every company switched to betamax VHS would have died first. We're not just talking phones here. This will affect tablets and laptops and even desktops. No I do not think it will be universally adopted rapidly.

What I would really like to discuss are ALL the Note 7 features and specs because the darn things should be out by now!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

To clarify, USB Type A, B & C and USB 2.0, 3.0 & 3.1 aren't necessarily related. Each version number, which represent data speed and max current standards, can be paired with each connector type. So you can have USB C with USB 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1 and and you can have USB A and a USB A & B (microUSB) cable that's designed for USB 2.0, 3.0 or 3.1. 3.1 is backwards compatible, so 3.1 should be what we see adopted first by almost everything and USB C is the most logical connector type to use with modern everything because it's better able to handle the true intended standards of USB 3.0 and 3.1.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

If every company switched to betamax VHS would have died first. We're not just talking phones here. This will affect tablets and laptops and even desktops. No I do not think it will be universally adopted rapidly.

We aren't talking VHS though so I don't get how that even matters. If the market swaps to USB-C then people will swap to it.. Because they will upgrade their phones and have to use it. Simple as that. Not sure the argument here o_O

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

We aren't talking VHS though so I don't get how that even matters. If the market swaps to USB-C then people will swap to it.. Because they will upgrade their phones and have to use it. Simple as that. Not sure the argument here o_O
I agree. If every computer company, accessory company, and phone company changes to usb c immediately it will replace micro usb within 5 years.

VHS vs Betamax was simply an example of competing tech in which the inferior more common version won out.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Just because USB C is better doesn't necessarily mean the non-techie Public are willing to be inconvenienced or pay an extra penny to get it. .

There's no extra expenditure. The devices they buy, computers, phones, thumb drives, etc. will be coming with the ports standard. And for those that need it, adapters that support USB 3.1 safely from USB A to C are like $8.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I agree. If every computer company, accessory company, and phone company changes to usb c immediately it will replace micro usb within 5 years.

There may still be some but majority go with the "big names" like Samsung. If Samsung swaps it will help to make a big push over to USB-C. Are you saying it won't?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I agree. If every computer company, accessory company, and phone company changes to usb c immediately it will replace micro usb within 5 years..

Well it started last year and now all flagships seem to be coming with USB C. The Moto G4 is the only recent device other than the S7 that seems to hold on to microUSB, but the Moto Z did switch and now Samsung is switching as well... so are there holdouts? I'd be shocked if any flagship devices in 2017 came with microUSB.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

There's no extra expenditure. The devices they buy, computers, phones, thumb drives, etc. will be coming with the ports standard. And for those that need it, adapters that support USB 3.1 safely from USB A to C are like $8.
Look. I have several otg usb mico plug flashdrives. Buying the converters and carrying them defeats the purpose of the tiny drives. I also have several car chargers and chargers in every room of my house. All will have to be replaced or have expensive converters added. It IS inconvenient and expensive. We will have to agree to disagree OK?

NOW how about Samsung releases the official specs?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: The Note 7 Specs Detailed

You may not have to yet -- adapters and such... but one day the standard will change. People didn't want to go to "Lightning Cables" for their iDevices but Apple went that way so eventually they had to.
Well if the Note 7 soecs are as similar to the s7e specs as SOME reports suggest I will do my part to slow the process by going with the s7e. If the Note blows it away I will have to spend a small fortune on converters and new power cords while retaining the old ones for my other devices. I use several phones and tablets that all use micro plugs so for me it will be a huge pita. I will need a dozen duplicate cords or converters.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

USB C ports on devices do not require USB C chargers; they require USB A to C cables OR C to C cables. Replacing the car chargers and chargers you have is completely unnecessary as long as you avoid phones that implement USB C improperly, such as the HTC 10. Even then, using the OEM charger and cable, which comes in the box, solves the problem. Replacing cables in 12 rooms/cars would be a maximum investment of under $100. I've purchased 3 USB C devices, which all came with exactly the right hardware and one even had an A to C adapter included in the box to make things easier. I have bought zero C to C cables and zero special chargers. All of my existing chargers still work with the 4-5 cables I purchased so that I don't have to carry any cables or adapters. It's really cheap and simple, especially since the devices get you started by coming with the appropriate hardware. So I've spent like... $30 on Amazon and have my home office, work office, bedroom and car totally updated. That's less than the price of one decent OEM charger.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
We're different. All of my other devices use micro usb. At the very least I will need duplicates.. And I do not trust cheap amazon converers so it means new powercords for me. I don't carry them. I put one or 2 everywhere I may be. BTW, an unnecessary expenditure of $100 for boring cables or converters ain't nuthin. It's a big deal.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
We're different. All of my other devices use micro usb. At the very least I will need duplicates.. And I do not trust cheap amazon converers so it means new powercords for me. I don't carry them. I put one or 2 everywhere I may be. BTW, an unnecessary expenditure of $100 for boring cables or converters ain't nuthin. It's a big deal.

Yep it will be at first but technology moves forward. It doesn't sit in one spot forever :).

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Dude, the Note7 that I'll have after launch is going to be the only USB-C device in the house for a while.

I don't really find switching to USB-C a huge deal. I know it should work with all my current wallwarts, assuming Samsung did their testing and implemented it correctly and I don't need to spend over $100 on new cables. Just a bit on a few new cables and maybe one or two certified adapters.

Of course, some of us have different usage patterns, but the short story is, you probably might not need to spend a whole chunk of money.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm just lazier than you. I like to plug in everywhere. Every room. Booth cars. Both labs. Briefcase, office, lab etc.

Shouldn't Sammy release official specs today?

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm just lazier than you. I like to plug in everywhere. Every room. Booth cars. Both labs. Briefcase, office, lab etc.

Shouldn't Sammy release official specs today?
It seems like you have an choice to make. Either get the Note 7 with USB-C or stick with your old phone or upgrade to another phone with USB.

I have USB fast charger plugs in every room, at work, and in my car as well. I just have to adjust. I deal with people all the time me being in the IT Field that do not want to update their PC'S or their software because they are used to the way things are. After the update some say today I do not know how I could of gone without the update made things much easier. I do not think the USB-C Cable will be expensive at all. I do believe it will be a adopter to convert USB-C to USB.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie