Will the Note 7 run Android 7.0 Nougat Out of the box??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I think this is a bogus rumor. I would be absolutely stunned if somehow Samsung got Android N out before Nexus .. Especially since it is on Nexus devices but still in beta so not sure how Samsung could do that.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Here is food for thought: is the Note 7 going to be released before the official version of Nougat?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I certainly hope they do not. That'd be putting software that's not ready on hardware that's not meant to run it.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I certainly hope they do not. That'd be putting software that's not ready on hardware that's not meant to run it.

You have no idea how "ready" the software will be from the perspective of Samsung.

Also, why is the hardware not meant to run it? It's probably going to be DayDream ready, so the hardware should absolutely be "designed" to run it.

Edit: Actually, if it's DayDream ready that means it's certified to run it, not just designed to.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You have no idea how "ready" the software will be from the perspective of Samsung.

Also, why is the hardware not meant to run it? It's probably going to be DayDream ready, so the hardware should absolutely be "designed" to run it.

Edit: Actually, if it's DayDream ready that means it's certified to run it, not just designed to.

They're going to run off of beta code? Or you think they have early access to a final version that hasn't hit AOSP? Adding in support for the Vulcan API isn't the same as being fully optimized for all of N's new stuff - and it still seems possible (to me) that they don't know what all of N's new stuff is yet, let alone have full access to all of the final software - which they need in order to samsungify it and add firmware level support for their own features.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Will the new type of USB (USB C?) still work with on the go drives to copy files to and from computers etc? I never connect directly to computers. Always use otg drives.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
They're going to run off of beta code? Or you think they have early access to a final version that hasn't hit AOSP? Adding in support for the Vulcan API isn't the same as being fully optimized for all of N's new stuff - and it still seems possible (to me) that they don't know what all of N's new stuff is yet, let alone have full access to all of the final software - which they need in order to samsungify it and add firmware level support for their own features.

I didn't say anything about running off of beta code. N is probably not finalized yet either (but it may be close).

I don't think it's possible for OEM's to not know all of N's new stuff yet.

The Vulcan API is separate from daydream stuff. Well, I'm sure Vulcan is involved, but yeah you can have Vulcan without daydream. I doubt you can be daydream certified on hardware that isn't fully capable of delivering a good user experience (and daydream requires N).

We need to stop thinking that phones are only designed to run the software that exists when the phone hits the market. That's simply not how they work. ARM chips can run software that is designed for them, and N will be designed to run on a variety of hardware. I'm sure Samsung will put time and effort into optimizing N as much as possible for their devices before shipping it.

For example, it took forever for the Tab S2 to get MM, but it runs FAR better with it than it did on Lollipop.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

Eh Samsung and other OEM's already have Nougat so Samsung modifying it and adding touchwiz would not surprise me. That being said, their hardware will be more than ready to run it. Look at the specs of the next nexus devices and compare to the note rumored specs. It has more than enough to run it, and run it well.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I have no doubts of Samsung's ability to put N on the 7, just pretty sure N isn't actually finished and they've had no time to do optimization yet.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I have no doubts of Samsung's ability to put N on the 7, just pretty sure N isn't actually finished and they've had no time to do optimization yet.

As long as their has been beta Samsung has had the code, so they have had plenty of time to make optimizations. You fail to understand these companies get the finished products before regular consumers. Just because their is no "final beta" (even though the latest beta seems pretty solid) doesn't mean that Samsung doesn't have a newer version.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
As long as their has been beta Samsung has had the code, so they have had plenty of time to make optimizations. You fail to understand these companies get the finished products before regular consumers. Just because their is no "final beta" (even though the latest beta seems pretty solid) doesn't mean that Samsung doesn't have a newer version.

Yep, I know that many of the companies get early access, and Samsung would be one because they manufacture the Snapdragon processors - but they can do some work off a beta, but they can't finish N before N is finished - which it isn't. They might have a more up to date version than what's on Nexus, but that's not the same thing as working with a final product.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I know that many of the companies get early access, and Samsung would be one because they manufacture the Snapdragon processors - but they can do some work off a beta, but they can't finish N before N is finished - which it isn't. They might have a more up to date version than what's on Nexus, but that's not the same thing as working with a final product.

But how do you know Google doesn't already have a finished product they provided to samsung? Just because they are waiting to release it to the beta users means nothing...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Eh Samsung and other OEM's already have Nougat so Samsung modifying it and adding touchwiz would not surprise me. That being said, their hardware will be more than ready to run it. Look at the specs of the next nexus devices and compare to the note rumored specs. It has more than enough to run it, and run it well.

I highly .. highly .. doubt beta code will be released on a final version. I have never seen that happen. Nexus phones don't have it "officially" yet .. only beta.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Ehh, I'm willing to bet that the device running through the benchmark wasn't the actual Note 7, but could likely be an early prototype of it.

2 reasons.

1) It has an Exynos 7420. That is the same chip that powered the Galaxy Note 5 last year, and judging from the performance scores, it is either heavily downclocked or have some modifications made to it that limits performance. That is very unlikely to make it to a consumer model as each Note iteration has had hardware upgrades over its predecessor. Having a similar-but-gimped processor in the Note 7 won't go well with a lot of people as it will be seen as a downgrade over its predecessor, and given that Samsung has gained a lot of momentum with the success of the Galaxy S7 line, it would be an insanely and unbelievably foolish move to launch the other highly-anticipated device that ends up being worse not only compared to the device it is based on, but also its predecessor.

2) Android Nougat's name was announced, but the OS itself hasn't rolled out of beta yet. Usually, a new version of Android rolls out when the new Nexus devices are unveiled. That has been the case in the past, like KitKat with the Nexus 5, Lollipop with the Nexus 6 and Marshmallow with the Nexus 5X and 6P. Releasing a mainstream device running an unfinished build of Android that is not even fully-finalized by Google is a very risky move, and given that Samsung would also need time to optimize their skin for Nougat, it would be unlikely that the Note 7 would come out to consumers as the first phone running Android Nougat. It would be breaking tradition if it did, but I also think it's a risk.

My initial theory is that the "SM-N930F" used in the benchmark is an early prototype based on the Samsung Galaxy S6 with a slightly gimped Exynos 7420 designed to test builds of Android Nougat in order to test and optimize the software with TouchWiz before it is ready for release.

And here's another theory, one that's actually quite plausible. That is not a Note 7. That's a modified Galaxy S6 with a modified build.prop designed to mimic the Note 7 and having an "Android 7.0" software version.

Last edited:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I doubt that Samsung is as interested in Android N as we Android geeks are. And why would they be? Especially for a new step in the Note series? They've already baked more functionality into those phones than is available out-of-the-box on any Nexus device. What's available in N that they actually need in order to sell a new Note?

Also, by releasing the Note 5 in August last year, on LP, a full month ahead of the 2015 Nexuses and Android M, Samsung pretty clearly established Apple as their chief, if not only, competitor, in Western markets at least. Releasing a Note 7 running N before Google releases the 2016 Nexuses would be like Samsung throwing the smackdown on Google's Nexus line, which is no competition at all to the Note line. I mean, this year the Nexus line can't even match the Note on a simple spec like display size, let alone S pen functionality. So why worry about N?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I'm going by my last theory.

That might not be a Note 7 and that might not be running on Android N.

That could be a Galaxy S6 with a modified build.prop that causes it to have the model # "SM-N930F" instead of "SM-G920"/"SM-G925" and also has the Android version edited to 7.0, when it is actually likely running Marshmallow.

Last edited:

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that Samsung is as interested in Android N as we Android geeks are. And why would they be? Especially for a new step in the Note series? They've already baked more functionality into those phones than is available out-of-the-box on any Nexus device. What's available in N that they actually need in order to sell a new Note?

Also, by releasing the Note 5 in August last year, on LP, a full month ahead of the 2015 Nexuses and Android M, Samsung pretty clearly established Apple as their chief, if not only, competitor, in Western markets at least. Releasing a Note 7 running N before Google releases the 2016 Nexuses would be like Samsung throwing the smackdown on Google's Nexus line, which is no competition at all to the Note line. I mean, this year the Nexus line can't even match the Note on a simple spec like display size, let alone S pen functionality. So why worry about N?

Agree. N doesn't bring a whole lot that Samsung hasn't already had in their touchwiz skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.