Will the Note 7 run Android 7.0 Nougat Out of the box??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
The rumors (and I stress "rumors") say the Galaxy Note 7 will run 6.0.1 out of the box. The rumors also say that the Note 7 will undoubtedly receive N "soon" after release.

Posted via the Android Central App

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Here's another theory that might make some sense.

There might be a cheaper version of the Note 7 intended for developing markets that have most of the main model's features but with a flat display and less hardware bells and whistles.

Still somewhat thinking that the N930F Geekbench run could be a Galaxy S6 with a modified build.prop, since it is possible to change the Android version number and model number by rooting and tweaking that file.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
It's weird, cause several months ago there were rumors of two different tiered Notes. Then those rumors just disappeared

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's weird, cause several months ago there were rumors of two different tiered Notes. Then those rumors just disappeared

Which is odd, because it seemed that Samsung would just be going with one Note 7 with the curved display. Seeing an N930 and an N935 more recently just makes it a little more odd, especially since the former on Geekbench actually seems to be more like a GS6 with a modified build.prop.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
If Android N releases at the end of July, why couldn't the Note 7 ship with N in August? I read last week that Samsung already had the Android N RTM. So, they can tweak that all they want until the Note is released. Then, if there is a 7.0.1 update, it can be updated on launch day. If it ships with 6.0.1, we probably won't see an update to N this year as the carriers will then be involved.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Ehh, I'm willing to bet that the device running through the benchmark wasn't the actual Note 7, but could likely be an early prototype of it.

2 reasons.

1) It has an Exynos 7420. That is the same chip that powered the Galaxy Note 5 last year, and judging from the performance scores, it is either heavily downclocked or have some modifications made to it that limits performance. That is very unlikely to make it to a consumer model as each Note iteration has had hardware upgrades over its predecessor. Having a similar-but-gimped processor in the Note 7 won't go well with a lot of people as it will be seen as a downgrade over its predecessor, and given that Samsung has gained a lot of momentum with the success of the Galaxy S7 line, it would be an insanely and unbelievably foolish move to launch the other highly-anticipated device that ends up being worse not only compared to the device it is based on, but also its predecessor.

2) Android Nougat's name was announced, but the OS itself hasn't rolled out of beta yet. Usually, a new version of Android rolls out when the new Nexus devices are unveiled. That has been the case in the past, like KitKat with the Nexus 5, Lollipop with the Nexus 6 and Marshmallow with the Nexus 5X and 6P. Releasing a mainstream device running an unfinished build of Android that is not even fully-finalized by Google is a very risky move, and given that Samsung would also need time to optimize their skin for Nougat, it would be unlikely that the Note 7 would come out to consumers as the first phone running Android Nougat. It would be breaking tradition if it did, but I also think it's a risk.

My initial theory is that the "SM-N930F" used in the benchmark is an early prototype based on the Samsung Galaxy S6 with a slightly gimped Exynos 7420 designed to test builds of Android Nougat in order to test and optimize the software with TouchWiz before it is ready for release.

And here's another theory, one that's actually quite plausible. That is not a Note 7. That's a modified Galaxy S6 with a modified build.prop designed to mimic the Note 7 and having an "Android 7.0" software version.

Really great theory. You seem very well read on the subject. I hope you're spot on with this.

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well that's not always true. I remember one release, I think Lollipop, where the Moto G got it before the Nexus phones.

It didn't get it before the Nexus phone that was released with that OS.

I think that's what people mean when they say that. They mean a new phone isn't going to ship with an OS that has not already shipped on a new Nexus (for major releases).

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I think that's what people mean when they say that. They mean a new phone isn't going to ship with an OS that has not already shipped on a new Nexus (for major releases).

This.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

It also didn't get the update before nexus phones, it merely got OTA's sent out before all nexus devices got the OTA. The updates were available for flashing before that. Some discount that as "counting" but IMO it was still available to all nexus devices first.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
It also didn't get the update before nexus phones, it merely got OTA's sent out before all nexus devices got the OTA. The updates were available for flashing before that. Some discount that as "counting" but IMO it was still available to all nexus devices first.
I don't compare OTA to flashing images.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante