Why the new Note 7 MAY(or MAY NOT) be a good idea to buy...

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
I think he means the lack of expandable storage and a smaller battery (even though it's actually quite decent, considering its capacity and relative size).

In fact, those 2 were probably the stuff most people complained about when the Note5 came out.

We won't see a removable battery in the Note7, not anytime soon, but the battery is likely going to be larger, and a microSD card slot (with possible support for UFS cards if Samsung utilizes their new hybrid slot design) is very likely to be going back as well.

You hit it right on the nail!!!!!

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
It''s one of the most perfect phones I've ever owned. It will always be of of the toughest to beat in their line up.

Agree, I'm considering purchasing one and running with it for the next year or two. Maybe the Note 8 will have a flat version and I'll jump back in.

debdroid1a

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Ok, so as a owner of a Note 5 already, I was thinking about getting the new note 7, however, there are several things that note 5 users may need to consider when purchasing one.

Now this is based off of reported specs as of today.

Note 7
CPU
Snap Dragon or Exynos
On this, I heard that Samsung had problems with their Snapdragon processors overheating which is why they didn't use them for the Note 5, even if you do get one with the Exynos chip, it will only be 200 Mhz faster than the S7, which isn't that much of a difference.

Ram
Supposedly will be 4 gb, same as the Note 5

Sound
Due to the waterproofing on the s7 and the sound not being that great on that phone, if they do make it IP68 certification, the sound will most likely suffer a little bit which will make it less louder than the Note 5.

Screen
Super Amoled which again is like the Note 5 and it is also curved which may a deal breaker for some. Supposedly it will also be 5.7 inches.

Camera
The camera on the Note 5 is 16mp/5mp. I know that they reduced the megapixels on the s7 and it is supposed to be better, but the camera will have 12-13/5 mp. There is no word yet on whether it will have optic stabilization.

Os
May release with Marshmallow, but will probably upgrade to Android Nouget, Touchwiz will be minimized which is cool.

Now some people want the newest and greatest and thats cool, but the only real cool thing that I see is the ability to use an SD card again. So if the screen and ram stay the same, and the camera is less pixels and the sound is not as loud, is this really worth the rumored price of $850-$900+ dollars?

You make good points. The Note 5 is a great phone and I have no reason to upgrade other then for fun and because I can. The price isn't a concern for me as I use the payment plan and Jump! with tmobile. I'm still on the fence though. I will look at it in the store and then decide. I've been checking the S7 Edge forum here to see what people say about screen, etc., to get an idea. But if I'm not impressed I won't upgrade to the Note 7. Maybe an entirely different phone (maybe even different manufacturer) will interst me.

Posted via the *Note 5*

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
CPU
Snap Dragon or Exynos
On this, I heard that Samsung had problems with their Snapdragon processors overheating which is why they didn't use them for the Note 5, even if you do get one with the Exynos chip, it will only be 200 Mhz faster than the S7, which isn't that much of a difference.

The Snapdragon 810 v1 and the 820/821 are totally different animals.

Camera
The camera on the Note 5 is 16mp/5mp. I know that they reduced the megapixels on the s7 and it is supposed to be better, but the camera will have 12-13/5 mp. There is no word yet on whether it will have optic stabilization.

S7 Edge has the best camera in the industry - using it here or improving upon it makes it a marked step up from the competition. The Note 5, as of today, is tied for the 6th best on the market.

PlaybookFanatic

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Add the Note Edge (Note 4 with an Edge panel) to that list also.

Posted Via Galaxy Note Edge. Yea, the phone is perfect...

Nah. Not part of my list. It was a nice phone in theory, but ended up being a pain for us seeking them and a headache with all the complaints. I'm glad you liked it though, but it doesn't make my list.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
... The Note 5 is a great phone and I have no reason to upgrade other then for fun and because I can...

Posted via the *Note 5*

I am a Note 5 user. I'll repeat what I mentioned in another post regarding this: For me as a Note 5 user, the improvements I get with a Note 7 are IP68, a bigger battery, improved camera, adding the SD slot back, and probably a nicer screen (Samsung always manages to improve).

That might not be enough for some, but it is plenty for me. I am super excited for the Note 7 ...

nonie

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Since I wanted larger then gs7 or gs7edge, really hoping rumors are right on note7.
I hate giving up removable battery, but think that's the future on most phones.
I'm using /gs5.

Anyone go from samsung to LG?
Think they still have removable battery. Don't know how they compare to samsung.

Posted from Android Central.
on Samsung Galaxy s5

ShaggyKids

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I was one that had to have the Edge. Got it and the novelty soon wore off and I swapped with my Granddaughter. I would *love* to have the SD card slot again. One of the most stupid things they've ever done in my opinion is to do away with it.

anon(1733)

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I want to get the Note 7 yes. But if it only comes in a edge version I might stick it out with my Note 5. I just switched back to it from my OP3. Both great devices but the Note lines offer so much functionality. I'll reserve judgement until samsung unveils the in a couple weeks. My wife days I'll buy it but I'm not sure. Lol

thegame161

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
can't really compare till its out...

64GB base storage plus SD storage is a big plus point and no doubt improved S pen features.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
One aspect no one is talking about is the new Note UI, and how it will incorporate the new S-Pen.

To me this is potentially the most exciting aspect of this new Note, yet no one has mentioned it.

Posted via the Android Central App

boufa

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Specs are far from the last word on performance. As was pointed out earlier, its not the MHZ is the way the power and architecture is structured. Also megapixels mean very, very little in terms of camera performance. Sure, a 12 is better than a 2. But the difference is reduced as the number gets larger. The step down in Megapixels is a great move. The pixels themselves are much larger on a 12 than on a 18. To put it another way the sensor on a phone is about 1/4 of an inch, the sensor on a DSLR can be 1 1/2 - 2 inches diagonal. Both of them being 18 megapixels... guess which one takes better photos. Its all a matter of balance, but in this case 12 megapixels is better than 18.

You cherry picked the "bad" items on your post, and left out some of the better items. A 3600 or 4000 mah battery is a huge improvement. Add in the built in inefficiencies that come from incremental improvements on memory, screen, and chip architecture, and the battery life should be a noticeable improvement.

One other point, the Note 7 is not intended to be a improvement over the S7, it is intended to compliment it, and extend the line via a different form factor option. This is part of the stated reason why they changed the naming and skipped the Note 6. Very few people will, or should dump their S7 for the newest note, just for an upgraded hardware. The 7 line comes in 4 versions, S7 Standard, S7 Edge, S7 Active and Note 7... all the same with different form factors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke