Will the Note 7 have Gorilla Glass 5?

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
That depends if Corning had told Samsung about GG5 earlier in the Note7's development cycle.

Right now, its announcement is pretty close to the Note7's announcement date. Not entirely sure that it'll feature GG5, but I'm not holding my breath.

chuco35

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
Shatter-proof glass would be the greatest innovation. Today's phone screens break damn easily - even when encased. They've pushed the tech envelope in so many ways over the past 10 years with our phones, but the glass is still chintzy and vulnerable. Breaking a $1000 unit is a big hit.

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Unless it is unbreakable and UN. Scratch able, then I would get a screen protector anyway

I haven't been using screen protector, never had any issues. Sure I make sure I don't put phones in pockets with keys etc. But once I got used to using the phones without screen protector can never put them again. So I for one definitely take any improvements in glass quality compared to previous versions.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't been using screen protector, never had any issues. Sure I make sure I don't put phones in pockets with keys etc. But once I got used to using the phones without screen protector can never put them again. So I for one definitely take any improvements in glass quality compared to previous versions.
The problem is sand... I go to the playground a lot and sand will scratch gg3/4

Naturaal Gaamer

Mar 21, 2015
Visit site
Shatter-proof glass would be the greatest innovation. Today's phone screens break damn easily - even when encased. They've pushed the tech envelope in so many ways over the past 10 years with our phones, but the glass is still chintzy and vulnerable. Breaking a $1000 unit is a big hit.

I'm surprised that most people don't know it ACTUALLY exists, and existed over a year now. It's Moto's Shattershield display and it has been used on multiple phones already. It didn't get that much attention because it wasn't manufactured by Corning.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm surprised that most people don't know it ACTUALLY exists, and existed over a year now. It's Moto's Shattershield display and it has been used on multiple phones already. It didn't get that much attention because it wasn't manufactured by Corning.
But that's not glass if I understand correctly. It's more of plastic layer or something?

Edit: Don't know what different layers are made of, here is a comparison with GG4

http://www.technologynewsextra.com/...ng-gorilla-glass-4-screen-protector/2558.html

russel5150

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Moto shattershield is 5 different layers of plastic type materials,
That is why the outer layer is replaceable.

Its great, but there is a def affect on how the screen looks. It looks great but you can tell a difference.

I would like to see if gg5 is as strong when used on an edge screen. Just watch a video on it and doesn't really let on what phones will have it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781